Level 1 Charging Amps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRB

Hi,
I've searched the forum but haven't found what I would like to know, and the e-Manager and handbook don't say anything useful. I see the charging time charts but they focus on L2 chargers, which is understandable.

I have an unused 110V / 30A RV circuit that I'd like to use for a better L1 charger (EVSE) than the 10A portable one that came with the car, a 2020 e-Golf. What is the maximum current the on-board charger will take on 110V, with the e-Manager set at "maximum"?

I'm looking at a Clipper Creek ACS-25, which would be hard-wired instead of the existing 110V RV socket. I don't need, and don't want to pay for, a 240V circuit and L2 charger, but it would be nice to reduce the charging time.

Thanks!

I know the car will take 12 amps at 120V, but you are asking if it will take 20 amps at 120V. The on board charger is rated for 30 amps at up to 240 V, so the wiring can handle the current. I bet it can take 16 amps at 120V, but don't know about 20 amps. I suspect it will work. It would be great if you could find a public L1 station delivering 20 amps so you could test it.

Some more context: The SAE J1772 standard, from what I have read, supports L1 up to 16 amps. That is not to say the on board charger in the e-Golf won't support 20 amps, but it seems unlikely to me. Still, 16 amps at L1, 1.9 kW, is better than 1.2 kW.

I received my Clipper Creek ACS-25, wired it up (used existing 120V / 30A RV circuit) and tried it out. Compared to the 10A VW EVSE, it halved the charging time for a partial charge, from 16 hrs indicated on the dash to 8 hrs. So at 120V, the car must be drawing something close to 20A. I'm very pleased. For my use, I couldn't justify the expense of an electrician and L2 charger, even with rebates.

As for range, depending on weather and usage, the best I've seen on the Guess-O-Meter is just over 300 km (180 mi).

Baron20210722_01.jpg

That's just after starting with a full charge, 4 km downhill. Actual range on the trip was about 230 km (140 mi) at 80 - 100 kph (50 - 60 mph) with some big hills en route and intermittent a/c use.

Great to hear it works. It would be great if you could hook up an OBD dongle to verify amps the car is taking during charging.

Back