Electric motor.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassyb

:idea: :idea: Question: If the AC drops the range so much when you use it, is it not possible to install a 2nd electrical motor that deals with just that
and doesn't affect the range??

There already is a dedicated electric motor for A/C. Any ancillary device uses power and HVAC is probably the largest non-motive user of power in an EV. There is no around this situation other than turning off A/C. If you are really concerned then maybe you need a car with a larger battery pack, if the e-Golf can't meet your needs. I find the A/C isn't a big issue since I usually drive in Eco mode and keep the temp at 77 or 78F when ambient temps are above 80 F.

I don't understand...
If there's a dedicated motor for A/C, then why does the range go down when you turn on the A/C ???
Curious ,
bassyb 🤔🤔🤔

If you turn on anything that uses battery energy, range will drop since there is less energy subsequently available to drive the car. That is why cooling or heating car while plugged in to mains power helps extends range because battery energy is not sapped by HVAC. Makes sense?

Back