Crazy to attempt 910 mile road Trip in 2019 eGolf SE ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eGopher

I need to transport a 2019 eGolf SE (w/ DCFC) from San Jose, CA to Seattle in October and am wondering if it is a crazy idea to drive it there myself.

Using the Plug Share Trip Planner it appears L3 chargers exist along most of the route. (no gaps greater than 100 miles)

I am assuming the following:
- start at 100% charge
- 100 miles maximum between charging stops
- Level3 DC fast charge 8 times
- sleep in car while it charges
- maximum speed 65mph

I have only used L2 chargers for the life of this vehicle (never used L3)
Would it damage the battery pack to DC fast charge 8 times over a 2 day period?
Will the car warn me of overheating?
How will I know if there's a problem?

Has anyone else attempted a trip of this distance?

thanks!

The e-Golf pack has no way to actively cool itself, which is why the owner’s manual says avoid repeated and consecutive DCFC sessions. Battery pack will get hotter with each DCFC session and high speed driving stint. Car will warn you by limiting power available for DCFC and for driving.

While theoretically possible over two days, this trip probably needs to be done over at least three days.

I would drive 110 miles, DCFC to 90%, drive 100 miles, DCFC to 90%, drive 100 miles, then L2 charge to 100%. If you feel comfortable taking a nap during the L2 session, then continue the cycle and you could maybe get to Seattle in two days. I do not know if the pack will cool down sufficiently without an overnight rest. Three days would work for sure, I believe.

If you drive on really cold days or at night, the cool ambient temps will help to cool the pack faster than on a warm day.

I agree with f1geek's comments. I'd also want to be sure I could be fully or mostly charged before going over Siskiyou Pass (and you'll want to pay attention to weather going through there as well, but probably OK in October). I drove from Portland to Seattle (relocated) earlier this year and made an overnight trip of it. There's a very nice L3 facility in Lacey (near Olympia). I was on "fumes" when I rolled in there :D

realistically its not that expensive to ship the car up there. I have used uShip multiple times and prices are very reasonable. This would be a much safer option for the car.

Thank you all for the advice.

I like the idea of alternating two L3 DCFC to 90% with one L2 full charge.

Thanks for reminding me about the elevation changes
I should fully charge before attempting Mt. Shasta & Siskiyou Passes.
Plug Share shows the last 3 charges before hitting Seattle would be the Wilsonville Electric Avenue, Three Rivers Mall in Kelso, The Hub at Lacey.
I compute a total of 38 hours including charging time.

So I'm warming up to the idea of shipping the vehicle.
I just listed the car on uShip and am seeing quotes in the $800-$1100 range.
I don't know if that's a good price or not.

Another option would be to sell the car in CA and buy another one in WA but I suspect that would be the most costly.

you should be able to ship it for 4-500.

Now I would really say if you have the time, drive it and make it a good road trip spread out over 4-5 days. we have all been inside too much this last year. So find a fun route that has you charge once on DC and then via Level 2 to 80% where you can park it and explore a bit then drive 1 more and spend the night while Level 2 charging to 100%. 5 hours of driving, with 2 stops. one 1 hour and one 4 hour stop, still only makes an 10 hour day and a great trip.

mccdeuce said:
you should be able to ship it for 4-500.

Now I would really say if you have the time, drive it and make it a good road trip spread out over 4-5 days. we have all been inside too much this last year. So find a fun route that has you charge once on DC and then via Level 2 to 80% where you can park it and explore a bit then drive 1 more and spend the night while Level 2 charging to 100%. 5 hours of driving, with 2 stops. one 1 hour and one 4 hour stop, still only makes an 10 hour day and a great trip.

That’s what I would do if I had the time. I’d go up the Oregon coast. There are finally a few DC chargers and many hotel options with their own or nearby free L2 chargers.

Going the coast will keep you at a 55 mph speed limit so you will get closer to 5 mpkWh vs 3.5 going 70mph.

I wouldn’t sell and rebuy in WA. Car prices are stupid high everywhere but especially up here. And if you are going to register you don’t have to pay tax if you’ve had it for at least six months I think it is.

I've not done that trip in an EV, but I have done it several times in a vintage car. The CA, OR & WA coat roads are great. Yes, you can "charge" :D up the highway, but I agree with other posters that it's far more enjoyable to "pootle" (proceed in a leisurely fashion). Make the journey the focus of the drive, rather than just getting to the destination. It'll be far more pleasant than I-5, even if the weather's not great.
When I've driven it, I didn't pre-book hotels, just stopped when I or the car needed a rest. You could do the same, with a pre-planned list of charging stations to choose from.

Back