Torklift EcoHitch installed on eGolf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hcmken

First time poster, short-term stalker. I'm a new owner of a 2016 eGolf, and long time Golf/GTI owner and fan. I've been reading quite on the forums and thought I'd share a little about the one thing I've done with the eGolf.

Yesterday I installed the Torklift ecoHitch - model 7309 for reference. This has the 2" receiver to match my bike rack. The install was smooth and easy. I'm really pleased with how it turned out and how long it took.

Installation
I found a good video from Torklift on YouTube titled '2015-2017 Volkswagen Golf TDI/GTI EcoHitch Trailer Hitch -Torklift Central', and I followed it. A few things to add to the video for best results:

i. The bolts provided by Torklift to mount the rack to the frame are not hardened steel - I broke one head off (ugh). Consider picking up some hardened steel bolts to replace those provided for a few extra $$$ and added security.

ii. The rear bumper is attached to the rear panel via a screw in fastener which uses a torx head.

iii. A flat head screw driver works well to release the clips that secure the color coded portion of the bumper to the black frame which attaches to the car body.

iv. Cutting the square from the bumper cover - to make for a better fit over the hitch - is easily done with tin snips. Place the cover in the upper clips and mark the cut with a sharpie to be sure it's cut in the correct place.

The Results
The hitch is very secure. It's low-ish profile, and is rated to support 300 lbs of tongue weight on a standard Golf which is considerably more than I need for this 30 lb hitch, 40lbs rack, and two bikes. I'm very happy with the result.

Here's how it looks with a rack on it:

IMG_5030 copy.JPG

IMG_5029 copy.JPG

I am very interested in your solution. If its not too much trouble, could you post a pic showing the size of the hole in the bumper for the receiver?

@hcmken, Thank you for sharing. It looks great. I'm about to buy the same hitch.
Just a quick question. Have you had to cut the rear metal panel too?

Back