Pre-heating without charging at departure time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1815

I own a 2019 e-Golf SEL, and I charge at home with reduced rates from my utility between midnight and 6:00 am. I've set up my departure prefs to charge to 80% by 6:00 am---no issues here. However, I do not leave for work until later in the morning, and I'd like to pre-heat the cabin without additional charging at this later time (I am OK with paying the higher rate for electricity used to heat the cabin).

How to do this in the e-Manager? I will try setting up a new departure time with an 80% charge and pre-heating, hoping that the system will see that the 80% charge has already been achieved and just skip ahead to heating. Has anyone done this or something similar?

Another approach might be to just manually turn on the car while still connected to the EVSE about 10-20 minutes before I leave. I presume I would need to leave the key in the cabin during this period. Again, any ideas on the feasibility of this approach?

Thanks!

I think you new departure time should work fine. Please let us know.

Leaving the key in the car may work, too, but I wonder if the heating power will come from the battery.,

I finally got around to programming a new charging location. First, I set the time for the new location to the later departure time with a charge level of 80%, the level of the previous event. In the new location, I turned on the environmental (heating, cooling) function. This approach did work, namely the battery was charged to 80% in the early time period and cabin heating only turned on for the later period. Problem solved!

Back