schleppy

Re: Electrical system failure: Stop!

Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:43 am

Definitely let us know what the fix ends up being!

ThatAdamGuy wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:36 pm
Well, y'all can add now a 2019 eGolf to this list <sigh>.
More details in my reddit post.

ThatAdamGuy

Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:21 am

Will do!

Dlmmdajgal

Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:16 pm

Another 2019 with this message. Car's at Sunnyvale dealer waiting for west coast technician to inspect. The wait could be long.

ThatAdamGuy

Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:29 pm

Quick update: I got a rather formal'ish / official'ish email from VW Corp this past Wednesday, offering to either buy back or replace my e-Golf.

I'm okay with the outcome, disappointed by the lack of urgency / importance suggested by VW's communications and pace.

I'm still going to buy another e-Golf, but that's frankly more because I don't really feel like I have other reasonable options given my needs and preferences.

For those curious, here's what I would have done if I'd been in VW's shoes:
  • Immediately gotten on the phone with the customer and/or sent a letter to express empathy, concern, and acknowledge seriousness of issue
  • Expedite review and handling of the case
  • Offer option of buyback or a sweetened exchange / repurchase deal (credit towards accessories or upgrade to SEL, etc.)
I'm not saying VW needs to bend over backwards for more mundane failures (e.g., paint or other cosmetic issues, issues with sound system, etc.). But when there's a potentially catastrophic failure (such as the engine suddenly cutting out when driving)... that, to me, requires any reputable brand that cares about goodwill to act a bit more urgently, less officially, and more empathetically.

I mean, sure, I'm buying a replacement e-Golf anyway. But despite my earlier enthusiasm and evangelism of the e-Golf and VW to friends and colleagues, I'm unlikely to be a future advocate and I'll plan on selling this new e-Golf as soon as viable alternatives are available.

Poshnorris

Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:13 am

My UK egolf came up with this message after an epic 31 miles from brand new 😂 Luckily wasn't driving when the fault occurred but car wouldn't start and has been recovered to VW. They say it's the high voltage heater or a module connected to it and the part is being replaced. Hopefully this will be a true fix as I don't like the sound of the car cutting out when driving on the motorway!
Can anyone beat just 31 miles for total car failure?

geoffers8

Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:26 pm

Just happened to our 10 day old e Golf . My wife stuck in the cold and dark for over 2 hours waiting to be recovered. Not happy.

Clanch

Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:57 pm

Last night our are 2019 egolf SEL with 900 miles on it died, electrical malfunction. This was a four-way intersection, crowded at night. Luckily I was driving the car not my wife, it's her car. Had to get out and push the car to the curb. Call Volkswagen roadside service they picked it up and towed it to the dealer. Dealer I bought it from is very nice, but their quote from service was we don't know what's wrong with it. I know what's wrong with it. I've been a service manager for German car lines for 30 years. My first car was a 1981 4000 Audi in high school, then I got a new 1983 GTI in high School. My second Volkswagen was a 1989 westfalia camper van, Third Volkswagen was a 2017 GTI. Currently drive an Audi S4, both my son's drive Audi A4. Needless to say our family is Audi Volkswagen people. I will require Volkswagen to replace our e-golf, if it needs a new battery pack. I do not want my new car torn apart at the dealership. I'm very picky about my vehicles. Let's see what happens.

JoulesThief

Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:12 pm

Clanch wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:57 pm
Call Volkswagen roadside service they picked it up and towed it to the dealer. Dealer I bought it from is very nice, but their quote from service was we don't know what's wrong with it. I know what's wrong with it. I've been a service manager for German car lines for 30 years. ...

Needless to say our family is Audi Volkswagen people. I will require Volkswagen to replace our e-golf, if it needs a new battery pack. I do not want my new car torn apart at the dealership. I'm very picky about my vehicles. Let's see what happens.
So, if you know what's wrong with it, tell us what it is?

You obviously know how poor the diagnosis skills and workmanship is at VW dealerships, compared to level of quality on a factory built VW that hasn't been tampered with. I know, I get it about VW's and Audi's too, nothing is as good as the factory assembly.
2015 e-Golf SEL
2015 Passat TDI SEL
2014 Touareg TDI LUX

Full spectrum VW owner, life is too short to wait to drive for a recharge.

Clanch

Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:46 pm

It's going to be a battery cell balance issue, either over-voltage or under voltage. Today I got the fault codes when I pick up the loaner. Just like I thought fault code PoDAB00 hybrid battery cell balancing performance. U201100 the supply low 3. Code U01A000 lost communication with Highbridge PB battery interface control module BA5 battery pack cell is defective. That's one reason will shut down the car on the customer instantaneously. I did not realize when I purchase this car these batteries, on the late model egolf's are made by Volkswagen not Panasonic. Contacted customer care at Volkswagen corporate today. Started a claim, told him I don't want the car take it back. Sad because I really like the car, wife really likes the car and it's her car.

f1geek

Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:13 pm

I have read Panasonic made the prismatic 25 Ah cells for the 24.2 kWh pack and Samsung SDI makes the 37 Ah cells for the 35.8 kWh pack. It is too bad your car has a faulty cell. When did VW get into the cell manufacturing business? And where are VW cells made? Thanks!

How can you be sure VW will take back the car and not just replace the faulty cell? Is it possible there is a loose connection and not really a bad cell?
2017 e-Golf LE, Multi Coat White with Black Vegan Leather interior

Return to “Technical Discussions”