CarPlay intermittent outages

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have IOS 9.1 on iPhone 5 and iPhone 6. They both work, stop and work again after hour or two. Totally unpredictable, at least I don't see any sequence.

I haven't been able to pair my iPhone 5 (iOS 9.2) using CarPlay. It keeps saying "Canceled" or "Make sure device is not locked".

CarPlay overall is working great for me. However, my podcast app OverCast crashes whenever I try to use it. Anybody else use OverCast? Other than that, CarPlay has been seamless with my iPhone 6.

Overcast works fine...I sometimes get the car play error. The only way around this that I have found is to reboot the car ;)

While using some apps, Ill be in the playing mode and it will back me out to the home screen.

I replaced by iPhone 6+ the other week and then when it was still trying to reconnect all of my iCloud data, it refused to fully load the Messages app.

Lesson learned: the VW screen is more or less, just a screen - the brains of the operation are in the phone, and I'll let the phone fully update before plugging it back into the car.

Yup, we had a similar issue on our Passat. The trick is to use the OEM Apple Lightning cable. If the cable is not from Apple, it'll (most likely) not work without flaws. Try it :)

I've had issues with mine too, and I believe most of the problems stem from 1) carplay on the phone is not that reliable, 2) the cable I have is a little old and one side of the plug is way more reliable than the other.

Back