gat89

Help! My car won't go into reverse (just moves forward)...

Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:03 pm

Tonight I went to go eat dinner and parked on the side of the street. When I came back, I put the car into reverse, turned my head over my shoulder, and expected the car to start inching backwards. Instead it slowly moved forward. Thinking I was crazy, I stopped the car, turned off the engine, and tried again. Same thing!

I repeated this process this process several times and everytime it went forward. I wasn't parked on a hill, I know I was in reverse because each time my backup camera came on, and my friend was in the passenger seat to sanity check.

Has this happened to anyone? In the end I put the car in neutral, had 3 strangers walking down the street help me push the car back, and drove off. When I came home, I tested the car and the problem seems to have gone away.

Any ideas? Thanks!

JoulesThief

Re: Help! My car won't go into reverse (just moves forward).

Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:22 am

Any time something like this happens, especially with computer driven stuff, stop, pull out your cell phone, and video tape the event of it malfunctioning. Take the car in for service and show them the video of the car put in reverse and pulling forward. Always document when your car isn't behaving correctly. These cars are computer controlled now.

This is a good example of why I don't want autonomous driving in cars... Ever... You could get killed, your car could kill someone else. The system is always hackable by someone.
2015 e-Golf SEL
2015 Passat TDI SEL
2014 Touareg TDI LUX

Full spectrum VW owner, life is too short to wait to drive for a recharge.

johnnylingo

Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:16 pm

Did you have a couple glasses of wine with that dinner? :lol:

Seriously, nobody has reporting anything like this before. Definitely get it on video if it occurs again.
2019 e-Golf SEL white purchased 2/26/2020 * ChargePoint Home 32a (wired)
2018 BMW i3s REx in Mineral Gray purchased 6/12/2018 w/ Giga, Tech, Parking, CarPlay, Harmon Kardons, and of course Moonroof

SDegolf

Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:30 pm

This happens if you do not firmly hold down the brake when you hit the start button. If you hit the start button without firmly hitting the brake, you can move the gear into reverse and the car can roll forward. This happened to me in a Passat I was loaned. For some reason the brake pedal was not responding well and my car inched forward when I put it in reverse.

JoulesThief

Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:51 pm

SDegolf wrote:This happens if you do not firmly hold down the brake when you hit the start button. If you hit the start button without firmly hitting the brake, you can move the gear into reverse and the car can roll forward. This happened to me in a Passat I was loaned. For some reason the brake pedal was not responding well and my car inched forward when I put it in reverse.
You don't press down the brake pedal when you hit the start button. You press and hold the brake pedal down firmly, BEFORE you press the start button. Operator error.
2015 e-Golf SEL
2015 Passat TDI SEL
2014 Touareg TDI LUX

Full spectrum VW owner, life is too short to wait to drive for a recharge.

gat89

Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:43 am

Thanks everyone for the comments. So a few things:

1) I am positive the car was in "Ready" mode, as in the engine was on -- I made sure of it. When I first got the car 2 weeks ago there were a couple times in the beginning where I forgot to push down on the brakes BEFORE hitting the Start button. I quickly stopped doing that.

2) I tried to put the car in Neutral to see if I was on some sort of weird incline. I was also secretly hoping that the road wasn't level and that an incline could actually roll the car backwards because I couldn't go backwards with my reverse gear. Unfortunately though when I put the car in Neutral, the road was so flat it did not roll backwards or forwards.

3) When I pushed down on the gas pedal, while in reverse, I could actually feel the engine pushing me forward. It wasn't as if I just took my foot off the brakes and the car was inching forward.

Unfortunately I was so bewildered that I didn't take any videos. It also hasn't happened again today even though I have tried countless times to reproduce the problem. Finally the fact that no one else has had this problem though really blows my mind, maybe I am patient 0!

NeilBlanchard

Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:45 am

Ahem - in an electric car, there is no gas pedal, and there is no engine. ;)

If this happens repeatedly, then demonstrate it for the dealer. How did you get home?

80nick

Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:22 pm

You are not alone... same thing has happened to me a couple of times. 1700 miles on the clock. No rhyme or reason for when it happens. It is worrisome though. If you take your car to the dealer before I take mine, please report back with what they say. I'll do the same.
N

gat89

Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:39 pm

Neil -- I put the car into Neutral and literally had to find 3 guys on the street to help me push the car backwards.

80nick -- I am SO happy this has happened to someone else. I was so worried I was going crazy. So I can't reproduce the problem but I am bringing it into the dealer tomorrow so at least I have a record. Also if you ever talk to someone else who has had this problem, please let me know!

gat89

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:05 pm

Neil, also I am curious, what did you do when your car couldn't go into reverse?

Return to “Technical Discussions”