80nick

Re: Help! My car won't go into reverse (just moves forward).

Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:53 am

I'm Nick, that's Neil... I assume you are asking me. Luckily it has happened in a places where I didn't have to freak out! Foot on brake, turn car off, turn back on, put in reverse, repeat until it goes into reverse. I think the couple of times it has happened I can hear the rear camera opening, and I have what the camera sees on the screen, all systems seem like a go, but no reverse.

NeilBlanchard

Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:30 pm

It has worked fine for us for about a year and a half and >22,000 miles.

judah8750

Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:04 pm

This just happened to my wife, except it would only go in reverse even after shifting to park and then drive several times. She had to turn off the car open and close the door and then restart to get it to act normal. Pretty sketchy. Anyone find out more about the reason? Of course I will take video if it happens to me and I told my wife for next time.

JoulesThief

Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:10 pm

judah8750 wrote:This just happened to my wife, except it would only go in reverse even after shifting to park and then drive several times. She had to turn off the car open and close the door and then restart to get it to act normal. Pretty sketchy. Anyone find out more about the reason? Of course I will take video if it happens to me and I told my wife for next time.
It takes 5 to 7 seconds for the whole car to "boot up", which it should be allowed to do completely. I make a habit of stepping on the brake pedal, pushing the start stop button, then taking my time to attach the seat belt and adjust it, then I adjust the volume on the infotainment center, check all my mirrors, then move the gear selector into R or D. Rushing the car while it boots up and before it's complete can cause the wonky shifting. It needs to fully complete booting up before you put it in gear.
2015 e-Golf SEL
2015 Passat TDI SEL
2014 Touareg TDI LUX

Full spectrum VW owner, life is too short to wait to drive for a recharge.

judah8750

Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:01 pm

Classic. Well I'm having the shop fix the back up cam problem and the 72 auto climate problem. Feels kind of like running beta software. I'll have to say though, I absolutely love my e-golf. Today I finally just got my 2015 TDI Sportwagen back from the shop after being rear-ended a month ago and man do I love that thing too. I am going to really miss that car. Though, having the e-golf even just for two weeks has convinced me that I can run all electric so the model 3 should ease the pain of saying bye to my TDI. I was hating on VW for the dieselgate scam for a while but now I'm getting all my money back, I can drive it for free until December 2018 and they felt bad at the dealer and gave me a smoking deal (I think) on the e-golf. So I'm back singing VW's praises. All said and done after all the rebates and goodwill package and e-golf deal I'll have driven the TDI for 3.5 years, and the e-golf for 3 years for a combined total of $158 a month! Someone pinch me.

Farallon5

Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:29 pm

My wife told me this happened to her the other day. It's never happened to me, so I basically didn't believe her due to her unfamiliarity with the car and her general tech phobia. Now I see that she was right! Whatta gal! :D

I too would love to hear any resolution from VW. Possibly a future recall?

2016 SE 850 miles
2016 e-Golf SE | JuiceBox Pro 40 | Lots of bicycles
Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana. ~Dr. Who

JoulesThief

Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:59 pm

Farallon5 wrote:My wife told me this happened to her the other day. It's never happened to me, so I basically didn't believe her due to her unfamiliarity with the car and her general tech phobia. Now I see that she was right! Whatta gal! :D

I too would love to hear any resolution from VW. Possibly a future recall?

2016 SE 850 miles
Don't rush the booting up process. Take 10 seconds from when the left needle goes straight up and the green "Ready" light comes on before you engage the car in gear. It's an operator problem. The whole system software need the time to fully boot up.
2015 e-Golf SEL
2015 Passat TDI SEL
2014 Touareg TDI LUX

Deschodt

Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:23 am

JoulesThief wrote: It takes 5 to 7 seconds for the whole car to "boot up", which it should be allowed to do completely. [...]Rushing the car while it boots up and before it's complete can cause the wonky shifting.
Good to hear: this happened to me once as well and I thought I hallucinated it, except for the scratch on the garage door... I park on a slope near the garage door... I can't swear I did not fudge the brake/ON sequence by going too fast, but the car DID let me put it in reverse and would only go forward. It did that 3 times, and eventually I ran out of room and kissed the garage door with the front licence plate holder...which stopped the car... I killed it, got out to make sure there was no damage, got back in, cycled power on and this time all was well...

*IF* it was me messing up the brake/ON and the car lets you put it in reverse without power being on, that's a pretty glaring bug /stupid feature on VW's part... That would be like being able to pull a gasoline car out of PARK without the engine running. You shouldn't be able to...

JoulesThief

Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:42 pm

Deschodt wrote:
JoulesThief wrote: It takes 5 to 7 seconds for the whole car to "boot up", which it should be allowed to do completely. [...]Rushing the car while it boots up and before it's complete can cause the wonky shifting.
Good to hear: this happened to me once as well and I thought I hallucinated it, except for the scratch on the garage door... I park on a slope near the garage door... I can't swear I did not fudge the brake/ON sequence by going too fast, but the car DID let me put it in reverse and would only go forward. It did that 3 times, and eventually I ran out of room and kissed the garage door with the front licence plate holder...which stopped the car... I killed it, got out to make sure there was no damage, got back in, cycled power on and this time all was well...

*IF* it was me messing up the brake/ON and the car lets you put it in reverse without power being on, that's a pretty glaring bug /stupid feature on VW's part... That would be like being able to pull a gasoline car out of PARK without the engine running. You shouldn't be able to...
I could pull my 6 speed manual Passat TDI out of Park on the handbrake/parking brake with or without the engine running, or the ignition on. Maybe turn the parking brake off last, after you put it in gear, with your foot on the brake pedal hard. That's normal operating procedure for me, regardless of which car I am in.

There's a lot of computerized booting up stuff going on on these newer technology cars. I find that if I turn the car on, then go to fasten my seat belt, then check all the gauges on the dash to be sure nothing unusual is lit up, that the system has plenty of time to boot up, and then put in gear and turn off the electronic hand brake. Establish a routine that works best for you, so time isn't wasted booting up, you are doing something productive with it.

The infotainment center will tell you when everything is pretty much up and running.
2015 e-Golf SEL
2015 Passat TDI SEL
2014 Touareg TDI LUX

Deschodt

Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:36 am

happened again today, so on average I do this once a month ;-) I'm pretty sure the above is correct, it's "too quick a boot sequence"... I sit down while jamming the brakes and pressing the start button... like every day where it works fine, except maybe I was a tad too quick...

Same deal: car is definitely on, but no drive... Yet you can put it in gear (any gear) and roll down a hill or into a garage door...

VW should probably write some code to prevent gear change before the car *truly* is on... But yes, it only happens when the car is rushed... It's not a failure, possibly a bug, but taking a few more seconds prevents it from happening.

Return to “Technical Discussions”