Noise while charging battery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 703

Never heard before: Whistling, churning, cyclical noise while charging coming from the electrical motor area. Quite noticeable. Battery was about 2/3 to 3/4 charged at the time. On a L2 charger at my home. Nothing different from dozens of charges previously (charger, cord, connection etc. all looked like always). Mileage is less than 4,000. Noise mostly dissipated with a near complete charge. Any ideas? Anybody heard something similar?

That is the coolant pump circulating coolant by your charger pack to keep it cooled down while still keeping your charge rate up. Follow the black coolant hoses under the hood, after removing the black cowling to see what is going on.

All systems normal. Don't worry about it.

Thanks. Still strange. The car had been sitting for a while, no high external temperatures, etc. I never heard the pump before while charging.

Electric cars are all new to most of us.

Expect the unexpected and don't worry about it, unless an idiot light on the dashboard comes on. These cars are computer controlled, lots of stuff, systems and noises going on in the backround that are completely normal for an electric car designed and made by germans.

Get used to the "new" normal. Drive more, worry less.

egolfnorcal said:
Never heard before: Whistling, churning, cyclical noise while charging coming from the electrical motor area. Quite noticeable. Battery was about 2/3 to 3/4 charged at the time. On a L2 charger at my home. Nothing different from dozens of charges previously (charger, cord, connection etc. all looked like always). Mileage is less than 4,000. Noise mostly dissipated with a near complete charge. Any ideas? Anybody heard something similar?

Noticed this recently myself. Opened the hood, and the sound was coming from the coolant pump area. I wouldn't worry.

Agreed. This is a normal sound. People are saying it is the pump circulating the coolant, but there is another sound which I believe has something to do with charging the 12V battery. I could totally be wrong, but it would be interesting to confirm what these sounds are, from a technical point of view.

Description of aforementioned sound: Without charge cord plugged in, walk up to car, open door, weird DeLorean time-machine sound.

SpdLmtNA said:
Agreed. This is a normal sound. People are saying it is the pump circulating the coolant, but there is another sound which I believe has something to do with charging the 12V battery. I could totally be wrong, but it would be interesting to confirm what these sounds are, from a technical point of view.

Description of aforementioned sound: Without charge cord plugged in, walk up to car, open door, weird DeLorean time-machine sound.
Might be the active grill shutters doing their thing. You will be able to see them moving behind the lower grille.

So this noise also freaked me out, I recorded it, is this more or less what you guys hear? (this is with hood open, right next the coolant container, it's just about as loud with hood closed hence the panic when I walked out into my garage and heard this going on) http://vocaroo.com/i/s1EN8zvb6Wts

Nonyaz said:
So this noise also freaked me out, I recorded it, is this more or less what you guys hear? (this is with hood open, right next the coolant container, it's just about as loud with hood closed hence the panic when I walked out into my garage and heard this going on) http://vocaroo.com/i/s1EN8zvb6Wts

I have not heard anything that high pitched yet. Then again, it hasn't really been above 70 degrees yet.

I have definitely heard the other more normal sounding mechanical/pump sound when the car is charging, or when I just shut it off.

Nonyaz said:

Hey Nonyaz, did you ever get this looked at or have you figured out what it is? I found mine doing the exact same thing this morning. Your audio clip was really helpful.

Thanks!

natedogg said:
Hey Nonyaz, did you ever get this looked at or have you figured out what it is? I found mine doing the exact same thing this morning. Your audio clip was really helpful.

Thanks!
Nope, I haven't heard it in a while and I don't live in a state where these cars are officially sold so dealer help/knowledge is lacking. I figured it would be easier to diagnose once it broke :) Let me know if you get to the root cause on it.

I will. I actually have an appointment tomorrow at the local VW dealer to look at a door rattle and will ask them about it. I can tell it's coming from a black coolant hose on the left side of the engine bay, just not sure why it's making so much noise.

natedogg said:
I will. I actually have an appointment tomorrow at the local VW dealer to look at a door rattle and will ask them about it. I can tell it's coming from a black coolant hose on the left side of the engine bay, just not sure why it's making so much noise.

It's cooling the charge controller, either from recent use driving or from or during recharging. Locking your car while recharging will reduce some of the funny noises, by putting the cars peripheral electronics "to sleep" so to speak.

Back