e-Golf in Kansas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loanshark

Any e-Golf owners in Kansas?

I'd like to buy one from out-of-state, but I don't know what kind of service I can get on it here. I called one dealer in Kansas City and they weren't helpful - the guy just tried to sell me on a regular Golf.

Loanshark said:
Any e-Golf owners in Kansas?

I'd like to buy one from out-of-state, but I don't know what kind of service I can get on it here. I called one dealer in Kansas City and they weren't helpful - the guy just tried to sell me on a regular Golf.
As the eGolf isn't a 'compliance car' like the Fiat 500e is , you should be able to.
Call the Dealer Service department and ask if they have an eGolf certified tech.

e-Golf is very much a compliance car. It's only sold in California and about 10 other states. VW is considered a "major manufacturer" under CARB (because they sell over 20k cars a year in this state) and thus has to sell a certain percentage of ZEV-qualified vehicles, buy credits from someone else like Tesla or Nissan, or pay a fine.

RonDawg said:
e-Golf is very much a compliance car. It's only sold in California and about 10 other states. VW is considered a "major manufacturer" under CARB (because they sell over 20k cars a year in this state) and thus has to sell a certain percentage of ZEV-qualified vehicles, buy credits from someone else like Tesla or Nissan, or pay a fine.
Well I meant like the 500e which is sold in 2 states.

forbin404 said:
RonDawg said:
... or the RAV4 EV that was sold in 1 state. Seriously, what's the difference? VW dealer in New Jersey still won't lease you one if your address is in Pennsylvania. VW wanting the compliance credits is the only explanation for that.

If you really want an e-Golf in another state, either buy a new one cash, or buy a used one. It still remains to be seen what VW will do with the 2017. There were some claims a while back that it would be sold nationwide. I have my doubts. If there is another battery pack change for 2018 like the rumors say, maybe they will wait until then. Maybe they will not sell an EV nationwide until the ID in 2020. Who knows?

miimura said:
forbin404 said:
RonDawg said:
... or the RAV4 EV that was sold in 1 state. Seriously, what's the difference? VW dealer in New Jersey still won't lease you one if your address is in Pennsylvania. VW wanting the compliance credits is the only explanation for that.

If you really want an e-Golf in another state, either buy a new one cash, or buy a used one. It still remains to be seen what VW will do with the 2017. There were some claims a while back that it would be sold nationwide. I have my doubts. If there is another battery pack change for 2018 like the rumors say, maybe they will wait until then. Maybe they will not sell an EV nationwide until the ID in 2020. Who knows?

/\ This. If you pay cash, and buy it, they will sell to anyone, anywhere. Same with buying one used. Money talks. Borrowing and keeping a depreciating car as collateral against the loan, is problematic. Not a problem when there is no lien on the title.

Rumor has it they have to fly someone out to service it at your local dealership for warranty work if local techs aren't trained, but next year's model will reportedly be sold nationwide so if I were in Kansas and wanted to buy new, maybe I'd just wait.

Verkehr said:
Rumor has it they have to fly someone out to service it at your local dealership for warranty work if local techs aren't trained, but next year's model will reportedly be sold nationwide so if I were in Kansas and wanted to buy new, maybe I'd just wait.

Not a rumor, but in my case anecdotal evidence: bought used from California, had it flat-bedded out here to Scottsdale, AZ. When I called VW North Scottsdale they told me they couldn't work on my car, so I had to elevate to VW Customer Care. They did, in fact, have a tech from California come and perform the service for the recall on the charging system that affected some (all?) 2015 eGolfs. I'm not sure if it hadn't been a recall issue if they would've done the same for anything routine.

Was subsequently informed that all dealerships would be certified to work on the electric drivetrain eventually, but I haven't tested that one out yet. I've only seen two other eGolfs on the road here in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area in the 14 months I've owned the car, so I don't imagine there's a large demand yet for service here.

All that being said, with as little maintenance as the eGolf requires, I have no regrets buying this car and enjoy driving it every day.

Spektre said:
Verkehr said:

Not a rumor, but in my case anecdotal evidence: bought used from California, had it flat-bedded out here to Scottsdale, AZ. When I called VW North Scottsdale they told me they couldn't work on my car, so I had to elevate to VW Customer Care. They did, in fact, have a tech from California come and perform the service for the recall on the charging system that affected some (all?) 2015 eGolfs. I'm not sure if it hadn't been a recall issue if they would've done the same for anything routine.

Was subsequently informed that all dealerships would be certified to work on the electric drivetrain eventually, but I haven't tested that one out yet. I've only seen two other eGolfs on the road here in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area in the 14 months I've owned the car, so I don't imagine there's a large demand yet for service here.

All that being said, with as little maintenance as the eGolf requires, I have no regrets buying this car and enjoy driving it every day.

Most interested in how your battery degradation and reduced range is affected by the Phoenix heat, long term. Since heat is the enemy of these passively cooled Li Ion batteries, I'd avoid any DCFC charging at temps over 90F at Level 3. A passively cooled battery will suffer degradation under such recharging regime in the heat you experience there in AZ

Just an update here on my situation--

I pulled the trigger and went through Carmax to get an eGolf transferred to Kansas from California. Pretty painless to do it that way I must say. I only got the car a week ago so I've had no issues with it thank goodness so I have yet to test out the service situation.

But anyway, I'm happily zipping around in my new eGolf so I'm happy about that! Great car and fun as hell to drive. :D

hi all - i bought a 2017 egolf from california and brought it to phoenix (major pain in the ass to purchase it!) - i have driven it about 4 weeks, mostly highway miles in normal or eco mode. i have noticed recently that full charging takes the range indicator to only a max of 118 or 119 miles instead of 125 miles. doesn't sound like a huge deal i know, but that's about 5% of (potential) loss in only a few short weeks. anyone else experiencing this? advice? maybe related to summer heat?

The car will project range based off your recent efficiency and current energy usage. If you turn the AC on/off you will see it change. On my 2017 I have seen a full charge show a range anywhere from 125 to 186 miles. Keep an eye on your "Since Charge" economy and you will see a miles/kWh rating. Typically between 4 and 6. This number multiplied by 32 is typically what range estimate you can expect to see on a full charge.

Hey, I purchase an E-gold a year ago I am living in Kansas any idea if the services situation got better?

Back