SCE users - did TOU-D-PRIME actually save you $$

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eGolfJoe

I'm an SCE customer currently on the 2 tier plan. If I take my bill before I got the eGolf and divide by the KWh used, the price all in is about $0.221 / KWh per month.

I'm thinking of trying out the TOU-D-PRIME plan which gives a discount on the KWh rate but really jacks it up between the hours of 4pm - 9pm. With my stay at home wife and house that is not left empty when I'm at work, I think my bill will go up, not down, if I take the TOU-D-PRIME plan.

Question for other SCE users - did you switch to TOU-D-PRIME and did it save you $$?

thanks

I just got my EGolf this week and have been researching this.

Try their rate comparison tool to check the impact of the change.

https://www.sce.com/residential/rates/rate-plan-comparison-tool#RateLanding

For me, it amounts to a savings of 288 usd per year if I switch to TOU -Prime.

balikpinoy said:
I just got my EGolf this week and have been researching this.

Try their rate comparison tool to check the impact of the change.

https://www.sce.com/residential/rates/rate-plan-comparison-tool#RateLanding

For me, it amounts to a savings of 288 usd per year if I switch to TOU -Prime.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I have SCE for distribution and CPA (clean power alliance) for generation. Because of that the SCE tool cannot be used. Which is silly as the CPA adoption just happened a few months ago and SCE has a few years of my history to use.

BTW, I'm seeing weirdness on SCE's website when I look at my hourly consumption. I've seen that it doesn't show my charging on the days that I know I charged. Other times when I charge on one day, I'll see the power consumption jump but then if I look at the day before I'll see about a 50% jump in consumption for the day before over the same time period and I know for a fact I did NOT charge that night. I don't even have enough load to create that kind of jump. That and their database was down for weeks in late September makes me feel that I cannot trust their data.

I have a level 2 charger and have my charge time at 10pm. The jump from < 1KWh to > 5KWh is obvious to see when their data reports correctly.

Keep in mind that SCE is going to switch to all plans being TOU by default starting in October 2020. This was required by the California Public Utility Commission. You might be able to opt for something similar to the current non-TOU schedule but you will have to take affirmative action to make that happen.

As a side note to those with solar- the new SCE TOU plans shift the times around so that your peak solar production hours are now going to be moved into a cheaper tier. If you are used to having solar production that you are putting on the grid offset the costs of things like night time car charging you should expect less bang for your solar buck soon (though there is some sort of grandfathering to allow solar customers to stay on the old tier for some unspecified length of time).

Back