2019 e-Golf 'unlikely'

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PacBlue

VW concentrating on their new I.D. line of EV's ...

http://autoweek.com/article/car-new...er&utm_content=body&utm_campaign=awdailydrive

The powertrain option that the next Golf is not likely to offer will be the e-Golf -- this model is expected to disappear as VW focuses on the I.D. lineup, which will be nothing but electric vehicles. Expect to see an all-new hatchback sometime after 2019 that will pick up the role of the four-door electric hatch; this should be among the first of the I.D. models.

So far, they have said they will not be selling the I.D. to the US. They will bring the I.D. Croz and the Buzz here, though.

The eGolf is sweet but I wouldn't mind an EV that's a bit larger. I am looking forward to the next generation that will have a decent range and fit a family of 4 for a weekend trip.

I think a dedicated platform is required for an EV to have a big enough battery to get decent range.

f1geek said:
Anybody know if there will be a 2018 e-Golf. If there will be a 2018 e-Golf, when will it appear?
Their sales figures look pretty consistent... 200 to 350 or so sales per month. Whether VW calls it a 2018, or the serial numbers just continue, and the month and year of the build date keep on being built, despite 2017 being long gone, remains to be seen. I wouldn't worry about the model year number, I'd concentrate on the month and year of the build.

is this good news or bad news for those who made a deposit and
waiting for a 2018 e-Golf?

From everything that I've read, Canada will get the 2018 models sometime this spring; the only difference from the 2017 models is that leatherette will be standard instead of optional. As for the U.S., who knows? Maybe they’ll continue their year-behind strategy and release the 2018s sometime this fall—anything’s possible!

Latest guess for a 2018 US realease is March/April although VW have a poor track record with e-Golf release dates. I’m not holding my breath...
These are the differences:

MY17
- Driver Assistance Package which includes Digital Cockpit and the full gamut of Driver Assistance features
- 8" Discover Media navigation
- Guide & Inform (Sirius Travel Link and Sirius Traffic w/ free trial subscription)

MY18
- Digital Cockpit standard
- Driver Assistance package with same gamut of Driver Assistance features
- 9.25" Discover Pro navigation w/ additional EV-specific features
- No Guide & Inform (not compatible with Discover Pro)

currentlydriving said:
From everything that I've read, Canada will get the 2018 models sometime this spring; the only difference from the 2017 models is that leatherette will be standard instead of optional. As for the U.S., who knows? Maybe they’ll continue their year-behind strategy and release the 2018s sometime this fall—anything’s possible!

Where did you get the information leatherette is standard for MY2018? It is still a $365 option in the VW website.

Apologies—i thought I saw someone mention it on the e-Golf Facebook group. A quick check of the e-Golf configurator at vw.ca reveals that leatherette is still an extra-cost option.

I got my 2018 e-Golf on Feb 12 in Ontario. No leatherette seats! Seems to me to be the same as the 2017 as far as I know. It has heated windshield, heat pump etcas standaard features. I heat it while it is plugged in before I leave to get off to a warm start. My experience( in mild winter weather around freezing or so) is that the range holds up well!

FarmerDave said:
I got my 2018 e-Golf on Feb 12 in Ontario. No leatherette seats! Seems to me to be the same as the 2017 as far as I know. It has heated windshield, heat pump etcas standaard features. I heat it while it is plugged in before I leave to get off to a warm start. My experience( in mild winter weather around freezing or so) is that the range holds up well!

please share some pics :D

My US market car was built in November 2017, so says the VIN plate. The window sticker says "2017 e-Golf SEL Premium". Everything in the owner's manual set says 2018. The VIN lookup on erwin.vw.com, which was sufficiently up-to-date to have my delivery date of Feb 4th recorded, reports 2018 as the model year. Two curious items on the production code list (aka PR codes):

PRCode: S3T = Current MY previous year vehicle identification number
PRCode: SA0 = Model year change calendar week 45

Week 45 is the second week of November, which would seem to be anchored in the calendar year universe, which may only be loosely tethered to the model year notion. Maybe somebody more deeply in touch with how VW works can provide a better interpretation?

My guess: Everything going down the line at Wolfsburg was 2018 as of 2017 Week 45, but VW America still needs more CARB credits for the 2017 model year.

Look at the letter two to the left of the last 6 digits. Is it "I" or "J"

"I" is 2017, I believe, "J" is 2018

JoulesThief said:
Look at the letter two to the left of the last 6 digits. Is it "I" or "J"

"I" is 2017, I believe, "J" is 2018

Hmm, neither. It is "H". A moment of digging turns up http://www.clubvw.org.au/vwvin which says "I" isn't used. Checked off my daily "Learn something new" TODO.

ALL 2018 e-Golfs will have the digital cockpit (which is currently only available with the DAP in the 2017 model). If your SEL Premium doesn't have that then it's a 2017.

MickM said:
ALL 2018 e-Golfs will have the digital cockpit (which is currently only available with the DAP in the 2017 model). If your SEL Premium doesn't have that then it's a 2017.

I wouldn't be surprised if you're right. I notice that the Digital Cockpit is appearing in more and more models including the affordable 2019 Jetta SEL ($24,415 MSRP).

Now when are those 2018 e-Golfs with Digital Cockpit as standard equipment going to appear in the U.S. market?

Back