2017 E-Golf 'vibration/rumbling' issues at Highway speeds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KwPower

Greetings to all fellow E-Golf owners!!
I have been a proud E-Golf owner since March 2017 and already logged in 14800 kms. This car has surpassed my expectations in many ways and I am glad I made the switch and 'plugged in'. However, I have been facing one nagging issue with the car since day-1 and wanted to put it out there. My 2017 E-golf vibrates/rumbles noticiably around 110 Kms/hr and above. The vibrations are clearly felt in the floor and the steering column. The dealership has balanced the wheels and rotated them, even switched with new ones but cannot seem to fix the issue. Has anyone experienced anything similar? Please advise. Thanks.

I haven’t heard of this issue with the eGolf, but it sounds like an issue that is sometimes complained about with the Alltrack over at VW Vortex. Some feel it’s the tires (obviously not the problem in your case), others think it has to do with the suspension tuning, others think it’s due to the halfshafts not being well balanced.

Did the dealership try a different set of rims, or just new tires? There is a possibility that one of the rims may not be perfectly round.

Appreciate the input RonDawg. The dealership tried a new set of rims ( from a demo Golf GTI) and found the car to behave the same way (I was told). As I am on the highway every day for a good 50 minutes, I am a bit concerned and of course it irks me to no limits.

Anyone else having similar experience/issue, any suggestion folks?

I am still working with the local dealership to resolve the issue. They say that they do not have an E-Golf to compare with.

If someone could please confirm that they have driven the e-golf at highway speeds ( 110km/hr+) regularly and have had no issues. I will really appreciate that.

I am not sure if Canada has any 'Lemon' laws. :x :x

KwPower said:
I am still working with the local dealership to resolve the issue. They say that they do not have an E-Golf to compare with.

If someone could please confirm that they have driven the e-golf at highway speeds ( 110km/hr+) regularly and have had no issues. I will really appreciate that.

FWIW I drive mostly highway to work and have never experienced this. You could try and go to a tire shop that can dynamically balance the tires, so they are balanced when the tires are spun up on the car, it might make a difference.

I'm going with your drive shafts not having rubber harmonic balancers on them... Normally on some VW product, the RF driveshaft have some sort of dampeners on them... rubber donuts. Particularly on TDI models.

I'd also say 110km is rather fast to be driving that little battery packed car.

You need to learn german cars, they don't learn how you drive or your habits. You need to be the adaptive one. You should have noticed the problem when doing your test drive, before you give them your money. If there's not recourse, other option is to slow down on your driving so it's not a problem.

I've had mine up to 60 mph, but mostly limit my speed to max of 50 mph. I've never noticed what you are having problems with, not on my 2015 e-Golf SEL.

Stock tires and rims, I take it? No nails, flats, fixed, bubbles, or funny stuff like that due to a repaired tire?

Thanks for the response folks! This is my third German Car. I had a 2010 Rabbit and a 2013 Passat TDI before. Never had any issues. There was no e-Golf to test drive what so ever, not one to even have a look at the time I bought this car. Everyone who bought the e-Golfs in 2017/18 had to wait for 6-9 months period. I trusted German engineering and my past experience with VW and decided to go with the e-golf. I saw some you-tube posts and read the on-line reviews and everyone seemed to love the car. Other than the jitter issue, I am really happy with the car so far. I am unhappy though, about the support I have received from my local VW dealership, they seem to have no clue. Before I went any further, I wanted to rule out the possibility of a design flaw with the e-Golfs hence this post. I have seen videos of e-golfs travelling upwards of 140km/hr in Europe and no one mentioned anything about any nose or vibrations.

The dealership claims that they have switched the wheels with a Demo Golf GTI and found no difference ( so I was told).

KwPower said:

No issues at that speed with mine. 401/400 driving.

A quick Google search showed a lot of threads on vibration issues with the MK7 at speed. Have them check the wheel bearings.

Last Wednesday, 10/31/18 I picked up my 2018 e-Golf SEL w/Assist Package Option. Within the first 1/4 mile I felt this vibration through the seat and steering wheel. Also the road noise filling the cabin was horrendous. My comparison is the 2015 e-Golf SEL I just traded in with 26,700 miles which has that amazing e-Golf ride and handling. The rear of the 2018 was so un-compliant transmitting every inconsistency in the road. Once on the highway I could determine that no matter the speed or in or out of gear that vibration remained consistent. You could feel it in your stomach as a giggling. On the way home I made three phone calls to the sales manager of the terrible ride and that something was severely wrong. He said drive it home and get back to us.

Well the story continues with more on my way back to VW service this past Monday 11/5/18. At 65 mph I noticed a numbness in the steering wheel that allowed you the move the wheel back and forth 1.5" with no response from the car until with a bit more move the front wheels would grab. In fact to take a smooth sweeping highway curve you had to "saw" the steering wheel to establish the curve for the e-Golf to follow. Overall it was the most un Mk 7 ride and handling you could image.

Well the service writer and sales manager were all excited to see me as they knew exactly what was wrong. I had my doubts and was proved correct when they looked for spacers left in the suspension and non were to be found. So then started the usual one minute test drives and we don't feel anything. Yes the road noise was a little loud but just needed the tires to break in. They actually said that! I said "bullshit" where they then took it on this terrible condition road behind the shop and came back and said yes there is something wrong. I really don't think they felt that obnoxious vibration through ... like sitting on a washing machine with the spin cycle on. So I wait and prepare for the fight when VW America says it's suppose to drive that way. Please someone make me eat my words. I will follow up with the story as it continues.

Oh, and other than the ride/handling, the car is an amazing lead forward over the 2015.

E-golfman
CT, USA

Keep us updated on what happens. I have had my 2017 for almost a year with over 5,000 miles and have never experienced any vibrations or rattles from driving over 110 km/68 mph. This includes have one tire patched.

Bummer. Did it exhibit the vibration on the test drive?

I'm at 1 year and 14,500 miles on my 2017 and have had ZERO issues whatsoever.

i can say my car does 75 mph + just fine with no vibrations . the steering does get sensitive at that kind of speeds but nothing to worry about.

Did you ever get this issue resolved?

KwPower said:
Greetings to all fellow E-Golf owners!!
I have been a proud E-Golf owner since March 2017 and already logged in 14800 kms. This car has surpassed my expectations in many ways and I am glad I made the switch and 'plugged in'. However, I have been facing one nagging issue with the car since day-1 and wanted to put it out there. My 2017 E-golf vibrates/rumbles noticiably around 110 Kms/hr and above. The vibrations are clearly felt in the floor and the steering column. The dealership has balanced the wheels and rotated them, even switched with new ones but cannot seem to fix the issue. Has anyone experienced anything similar? Please advise. Thanks.

I have a 2018 Egolf, which sat on the dealers lot for more than a year before I bought it. I took it in for a balancing because of subtle vibration after about 54miles per hour- they did a “road force balancing” and found with their measuring tool that the tires simply have flat spots from sitting parked so long. My next set of tires should completely solve this, and hopefully these will even round out with driving

Try putting 50 psi in your tires, cold air temp, first thing in the morning and take for a freeway drive at 60 + mph for 10 miles. Reduce air pressure down to 45 psi now that your tires are warmed up and hot. That should relieve the flat spots. If it doesn't, have VW replace the tires under warranty.

Back