2020 e-Golf apparently announced

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srue

Today VW released info about new tech in their 2020 US lineup. https://media.vw.com/en-us/releases/1186

Here's what it says about the e-Golf:

e-Golf

The 2020 e-Golf is available in two trims: SE and SEL Premium. The Driver Assistance Package, previously optional, is now standard for both models, and includes Front Assist, Blind Spot Monitor, Rear Traffic Alert, and Adaptive Cruise Control.

This is in contrast to previous VW execs who had said there would be no 2020 e-Golf.

Good to hear this confirmation, thanks for posting. It makes sense for VW to continue to offer the eGolf until there's a replacement available on the new platform. I confirmed with a dealer today that if I were to order an eGolf now, it would be a 2020 model.

This confirms that they are losing money on each sale, and only selling as it is a compliance car. Notice they have not upped the range, as VW is not in control from a cost standpoint of excessive battery costs. I think the id3 will show up in 2021 at best, when other manufacturers namely tesla will be offering near 400 mile range cars for $35-40k. This is exactly why eGolfs are selling for $22k because of limited range. With that said, if you have kids that are driving, picking up one of these cars for $7-9k after rebates is a no brainer. I will be buying another one in 2020, as I feel they will not hit 200k sales, and will still be discounting egolf to $22k range.

Yes, it is a compliance car, especially because VW entered into a legal agreement with CA to sell the e-Golf or its replacement (another similar sized car) through the end of 2025. No range was specified in the press release. I wonder if the 2020 will come with more range thanks to a pack with more energy storage.

They originally said they would have a 48v egolf and an id3 in 2019 Let’s face it VW would be cannobolizing ice car sales. This is why they are reluctantlu moving to electric. That and the post dieselgate promises with the likes of ca resources board. Ultimately they will be too far behind tesla to catch up as they have not invested in the necessary battery production infrastructure. Look at the egolfs big brothers..audi etron and the soon to be taycan. Their specs range acceleration and cost fall way behind Model S and X respectively.

We may not see an id3 in the US till 2022..2 more years of 125 mile range egolfs. Even leaf has moved far beyond ..with 225 miles.

VW says we aren’t getting the ID3, we are getting the compact SUV instead. Perhaps they will end up selling the ID3 here eventually but I doubt it will be in the next few years

the point is VW has no strategy for electrification in the US besides selling compliance cars. The debuted the van the crossover and the id buzz a few years ago in Malibu and have done nothing since.

etron sales have been abysmal, taycan will be interesting, but i do not think they will impact Tesla. They only have 20k pre orders.

It will likely be 2020 before VW releases an update to the egolf. By then it would be a 7-8 year old design if they make no improvements

Selling 200 to 500 odd e-Golfs per month in all of the USA is hardly cannabalizing the rest of their ICE sales. Take a look around and tell me how many new Tiguans, Titans, Jetta's, Passats and Golf Wagons you see driving around.

Secondly, VW still has a shitload of leftover used TDI's to sell from dieselgate, all over the country, that they are slowly releasing to keep the price up of them, after being beat up by CARB. VW has no love for CARB or California, or being told what they, as a business, have to do.

One only has to own a 2009 or newer TDI that needs court ordered warranty work to see how the dealerships absolutely drag their feet on getting the parts to get your car fixed, let alone the techs doing the work to get your TDI up and running again. Because VW pays crap for warranty work, maybe 50 cents on the dollar for what a dealership would normally charge you. Go to any VW dealership and you'll see it's fat with upper management people on the payroll. The turnover rate for salesmen and women is terrible. The good and really good techs try to get over to Audi and Porsche dealerships to work service.

VW doesn't care about electric car sales. If they happen, they happen, but I'd say they are just an afterthought, a drop in the bucket of their total sales of cars.

VW's aren't for everyone, but then, they don't try to be.

Pay no attention to what VW announces, it's irrelevant. Go see what's on the lot when you are ready to buy, that's what really matters.

You are totally lost...you re not seeing the S-curve of adoption of Evs that is eminent

VW makes more money on ICE cars and thus could care a rats a** about saving the environment.

They are only selling the eGolf cause they have to.

A small SUV BEV won't meet the requirement of the VW / CA legal agreement as it is clearly not equivalent to the e-Golf, one of the stipulations of the CA dieselgate settlement agreement. CA is protecting its citizens health, especially those low income citizens who live very close to highways (where they get to breathe in tons of toxic, cancer-causing diesel soot from diesel trucks, SUVs and cars), that VW has to sell BEVs in the state or face painful fines. As has happened many times now, VW first says an EV isn't coming to the US and then announces an EV is indeed coming. I believe the ID.3 will be sold in the US in 2020, though maybe not until late 2020. VW has put $billions into capital and battery contracts to make hundreds of thousands of BEVs a year, and the ID.3 is going to make up a large fraction of that total. While it seems VW doesn't care about EVs, come January 1, 2020, because of EU regulations, all car manufacturers will care deeply to be selling BEVs or be slapped with gigantic fines for not lowering their fleet carbon dioxide/km average. Diesel and gas cars produce too much carbon dioxide per km to meet the fleet standard: only significant sales of FCEVs or BEVs will enable compliance with the EU laws. If VW (and the other manufacturers) want to earn a return on their BEV investment, then they will sell BEVS in the USA as well as in the EU. January 2020 will be very exciting!

Back