VW registered 2020 e-Golf with CARB

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srue

https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/pcldtmdv/2020/volkswagengroupofamerica_pc_a4130158_0_z_e.pdf

Published on CARB's website today, VW registered the 2020 e-Golf with the California Air Resources Board. For anyone hoping they would increase the battery size, they did not. The range is basically unchanged (185 miles under CARB's urban testing cycle, versus 184 miles previously). Every year that goes by without a range increase is disappointing, though not unexpected since the model is being discontinued.

I have been very skeptical of VW's "no e-Golf in 2020" BS. This information confirms we will not get the ID.3, but the e-Golf will soldier on for at least another year, as per the legal agreement with the state of CA (but what will replace it in 2021, per the same legal agreement?).

f1geek said:
I have been very skeptical of VW's "no e-Golf in 2020" BS. This information confirms we will not get the ID.3, but the e-Golf will soldier on for at least another year, as per the legal agreement with the state of CA (but what will replace it in 2021, per the same legal agreement?).

What "VW's no e-Golf in 2020 BS?" Its own press release in early August did in fact confirm that the e-Golf will in fact be available for 2020.
https://media.vw.com/releases/1186

The 2020 e-Golf is on FuelEconomy.gov too.

e-Golf-2019-vs-2020-FEgov.jpg

WTF? The efficiency and range are now lower?

Good catch! My 2017 does not have DAP. I have noticed e-Golf's with DAP (the square sensor in the lower front "grill" area) seem to be missing the electronically actuated shutters in front of the radiator, though maybe I'm wrong about this - I didn't get close enough to the car to verify a lack of shutters. If DAP is now standard on the base model for 2020, but was not standard in the past, it is possible the EPA rating now accounts for the additional drag of the DAP configuration, assuming there is additional drag for the DAP configuration.

Can someone with DAP confirm the car has no electrically actuated shutters in front of the radiator?

Can someone with DAP confirm the car has no electrically actuated shutters in front of the radiator?
I have a 2019 with DAP - how can I check for this? Should I listen for a particular sound at a particular speed? I'll try to look under the hood over the weekend but not sure what to look for.

Stand or kneel in front of the e-Golf front bumper and look under the bumper where the radiator is located in the motor compartment. If you see black plastic shutters, then the car has shutters. I have seen other DAP equipped cars and I don't see any shutters. My car has shutters and my car has no DAP.

Back