No 2020 e-Golf after all (original press kit updated on 10/29/19)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Szyszka

The August 6 press release has been updated on October 29 with the following:

Last updated 10/29/19: Removed e-Golf. No MY20 e-Golf will be available

So here you have it...

https://media.vw.com/en-us/releases/1186

:eek:

Interesting.

The Arteon looks like it's based on the Audi A7 platform, a fastback hatchback. Still not offered in a TDI version. Maybe someday full electric?

Then maybe we are getting the ID.3. VW needs to sell the e-Golf or it's replacement through 2025, per the legal agreement, and I doubt VW wants to pay more penalties. Or maybe VW will have another press release about the 2020 e-Golf?

f1geek said:
Then maybe we are getting the ID.3. VW needs to sell the e-Golf or it's replacement through 2025, per the legal agreement, and I doubt VW wants to pay more penalties. Or maybe VW will have another press release about the 2020 e-Golf?

I wonder if Taycans and e-trons count? Not that Porsche and Audi will sell as many of these as VW would eGolfs most likely (though there are a lot of e-trons now on dealer lots). Shure would be nice if VW did an about face on the ID.3 for the US market.

Porsche is a small volume maker, so the compliance rules are different. I have not seen anything formal, but I think that VW and Audi are pooled for compliance purposes. However, if they had a good reason to separate them, it may be possible. Polestar and Volvo are separated for some reason even though they are both owned, through various corporate structures, by Geely.

The decision to pull the 2020 e-Golf after having gone through EPA certification is puzzling. Maybe the ID.4 will be ready before Summer 2020? That would be interesting, to say the least. I don't think VW will bring the ID.3 to USA. They will have enough trouble satisfying demand in Europe and the ID.4 is actually a better match to the volume profile of the US market. I'm not saying that there aren't Americans that would buy the ID.3, I'm just saying that according to automotive executive logic, you should go for a market segment with higher volume so that your estimate of percent take rate will result in a viable and profitable product.

Porches or Audis won't cut it, according to the CA legal agreement. It clearly states the VW e-Golf or its replacement. It also specifically mentions another SUV in 2020 (the ID.4, I'm guessing), so that leaves the open question of what VW replaces the e-Golf. If you look at the 2019 e-Golf sales, they are the bright spot in VW's USA sales, if you look at percent increase over 2018 sales. Maybe this data has convinced VW it can successfully sell a Golf sized EV in the USA?

For whatever their reasoning was, I'm convinced they never really tried to sell the eGolf in the US. Nissan sold the Leaf in volume nationally, and so has Chevy with the Bolt.

Yes, they sold the eGolf in the CARB-compliant states, but is this really indicative of US demand overall? I'm not arguing it's not, but I feel like they really just wanted to meet compliance and use consumers as a testbed for future technologies.

I feel like America wants/buys big trucks and SUVs because that's what the marketing focus has pushed down our throats. These bigger vehicles are mostly unnecessary except in limited cases. It's somewhat ridiculous to see office workers commuting in F150s - they're cash cows for US automakers.

Since VW doesn't sell the e-Golf in non-CARB states, we'll never know the real demand for this great car. Sorry for the pun, but I'm not sold on GM's attempt to sell the Bolt EV anywhere. Yes, I agree people buy trucks and SUV because they have been brainwashed that they need rugged, large, offroad vehicles for1% or less of their driving needs while paying a premium for these unnecessary vehicles. If any company can get the purchase price down near an ICE car, I believe VW can do it, and based on what I've read about VW's EV investments, they are serious about EVs now. We'll see what happens in the next few months.

The MKVIII will not come in an "e-Golf" variant. VW is releasing hybrid benzene-diesel-natural gas/electric & plug-in hybrid variants for the MKVIII. They are banking on the home market for EV with the "ID3/MEB platform", followed by China (ID4). I can see why they would build their next ID factory in China, as they are sourcing the lithium from this nation for its battery technology factory in Germany. Further strengthening its ability to offer EV to market, yet still appeasing the high demand amongst Germans for diesel or benzene fueled vehicles. Remember that total registrations for EV is only like 8% (combined with hybrid reg. #) in Germany. There is some push back, especially as charging costs are getting expensive.

The carb state conversation is kinda moot. So many e-Golfs were funneled to california in order to meet a court order quota.

That's great that the MK8 golf is getting a lot of hybrid tech, but the CA legal agreement with VW required full BEVs. PHEVs just don't cut the mustard with CA. VW has to bring a full BEV e-Golf or successor to CA through 2025 or VW will be in deep sh*t with CA lawyers, and I'm sure CA will punish VW very heavily. Additionally, based on the press releases I've seen so far (thought they change pretty fast, don't they? ), no Mk8 Golf PHEVs are coming to the USA. But if you know otherwise, please enlighten us. Thanks!

f1geek said:
That's great that the MK8 golf is getting a lot of hybrid tech, but the CA legal agreement with VW required full BEVs. PHEVs just don't cut the mustard with CA. VW has to bring a full BEV e-Golf or successor to CA through 2025 or VW will be in deep sh*t with CA lawyers, and I'm sure CA will punish VW very heavily. Additionally, based on the press releases I've seen so far (thought they change pretty fast, don't they? ), no Mk8 Golf PHEVs are coming to the USA. But if you know otherwise, please enlighten us. Thanks!

Perhaps consider that the fine print is offer. Does that court order specifically state "new" models? Look at all the e-Golfs that are coming off lease that are being offered as certified pre-owned.

No, no used cars. Must be new cars, whether "old" design e-golf or completely new design. The whole point of the consent decree is to get ZEV cars. Only new cars improve ZEV availability. I'm glad to hear VW is spending money promoting used e-Golfs, but that won't help it meet terms of consent decree.

Back