2020 e-Golf cancelled

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLS

Probably everybody already knew this, but seems like it's confirmed Canada-only by a VW spokesman.

https://insideevs.com/news/401653/2020-vw-e-golf-canceled-us/

It will be interesting to see what fills this slot in the EV market. Most people don't need 300 miles range and don't want to spend over $40K on a car. Tesla's Model 3 has essentially gone up $7500 in price due to the phasing out of their tax break eligibility. Not sure what EVs will be coming from VW for sure, but I am seeing mini-SUVs like the Chevy Bolt, Hyundai Kona, and Ford Mustang Mach-e right around the $40K price.

The Nissan Leaf is carrying on, and I saw an electric Mini cooper is coming in at the $30K price point.

Right, this is not news. It does seem VW will continue to sell "2019" e-Golfs in the USA for the time being. I do not believe the 2019s are much different than the "2020" e-Golfs being sold in Canada. I'm not sure why it matters, but it probably has something to do with zero emission vehicle credits. I hope VW gets the ID.4 on the market sooner rather than later so it can have an EV with mainstream appeal (and a liquid cooled battery, at least 100 kW DC Fast Charging) due to its size, shape and range (probably 250 or more miles).

I also have no idea why this 'news' is suddenly making rounds around the interwebs (Autoblog, Jalopnik, etc). Like the report says, it has been announced in October of 2019. Strange...

I am still praying and hoping the ID 3 will come to the US. That will make me drop trade in the egolf in a heart beat.

I would love to get my hands on an ID.3, but I suspect the bean counters at VW will not allow it, at least in the near term, as they think there won't be enough demand. But one can hope.....

The 2019 was the last year of the MK VII. The Mark 8's are all Hybrid oriented. Personally I think it is a backwards step, but I am seeing that VW has supply chain issues for "all BEV" for the VW "group" The output for the ID series batteries isn't optimized & also supply chain issues.

The Hybrid use smaller packs to spread out the demand AND they know how to make fossil burning engines very well. They are not quite ready to throw out that bathwater, yet...

Just checked the www.vw.com website today and found the e-Golf is no longer listed. So long, new e-Golfs, at least in the USA.

Back