2019 eGolf Prices Paid

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egolfEr

My 2016 lease is expiring...thinking about buying a 2019 eGolf. I search through the threads could not find any recent pricing.

Can you please share a low quote with me. I am getting it for $26,500 which I think is pretty low, don't think it can be any lower.

If you got if for less, can you please share..thanks!

If you look at Cargurus you will see that there are Northern California dealers that are listing cars for $8k off MSRP out in the open. That is both SE and SEL. So, I think that is your benchmark unless you are in a completely different part of the country.

$23K-24K seems to be the going rate for an SE w/ DAP. Check out the thread right below this one "Golf Inventory"

Several of the Bay Area dealers were advertising SEs w/ DAP for $25.5k and SELs for just under $31k, but that promotion expired April 30th. Stevens Creek is still doing $27.5 and $33 respectively but I'm sure they'd be willing to go lower especially for the SELs.

Personally, I would not pay more than $24k for an SE or $30k for an SEL.

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of buying my first electric car and the egolf seems like the best option for me. I saw a 2017 SE on craigslist for $18,800. It seems like a new one would be cheaper with the rebate? Would anyone mind posting what they paid for a 2019 out the door with tax and licensing? California rebate is $2500 and federal is $7500? But you pay sales tax on the before rebate price?

Thanks very much!

Marie

okaycoral said:
Hi everyone,

I am thinking of buying my first electric car and the egolf seems like the best option for me. I saw a 2017 SE on craigslist for $18,800. It seems like a new one would be cheaper with the rebate? Would anyone mind posting what they paid for a 2019 out the door with tax and licensing? California rebate is $2500 and federal is $7500? But you pay sales tax on the before rebate price?

Thanks very much!

Marie

Buy a new 2019 SE up near Oakland. Read some threads here on how to do it. You have to be able to buy it and pay the loan off in full within 4 months by VW credit to get it for 23,500, then you get the 7500 credit in federal income taxes if you pay enough in taxes in 209 to cover it, plus the 2500 CA rebate. Your net cost is then 13500, but you will pay sales tax on 23500.

You absolutely have to have your own place to recharge it daily with an EVSE, preferably with a 240 Volt 50 amp RV NEMA 14-50 outlet you
can plug your own 240V 30 amp EVSE into, AT HOME. Don't rely on public recharging areas or free recharging areas, mooching electrons, you'll waste your life away waiting for them to be available, and the equipment is abused and can damage your plug jack. Make your recharging port on your e-Golf monogamous, at home, when it needs it.

Thanks Joulestheif,

We have both a 50 amp and 30 amp 240V outlet right by the garage door for my husband's welding tools. He says I can have one of them.

I don't see the posts. I will look again. It sounds like I have to finance the car and then pay off the loan? I just want to go in and right a check.

I just got a quote from Hanlee's for an SEL for "net" price of $26680 including a $7500 "rebate". That not clear if its my federal rebate or their dealer rebate.

okaycoral said:
Thanks Joulestheif,

We have both a 50 amp and 30 amp 240V outlet right by the garage door for my husband's welding tools. He says I can have one of them.

I don't see the posts. I will look again. It sounds like I have to finance the car and then pay off the loan? I just want to go in and right a check.

I just got a quote from Hanlee's for an SEL for "net" price of $26680 including a $7500 "rebate". That not clear if its my federal rebate or their dealer rebate.

Ask them what your "OUT THE DOOR" price is. That is what matters to you. Not the tax credit or the rebate or any of that. Always compare out the door price with all dealerships. Sounds like they will sell it to you for $34,480, plus tax and license.

I sent them the posting from this forum and got a price for the SE of $23,475 without tax, license and documentation. I think it will be just under $27,000 total. I did have to agree to finance it through VW. Tax is a lot here in CA 9.25%. It was a $10,000 discount from list price of either the SE or SEL. The finance option was worth $3500 of the discount. The SEL does not make sense. If I think of the net price as $17,000, and the SEL as $6,550 more (with tax) that's 38% more.

okaycoral said:
I sent them the posting from this forum and got a price for the SE of $23,475 without tax, license and documentation. I think it will be just under $27,000 total. I did have to agree to finance it through VW. Tax is a lot here in CA 9.25%. It was a $10,000 discount from list price of either the SE or SEL. The finance option was worth $3500 of the discount. The SEL does not make sense. If I think of the net price as $17,000, and the SEL as $6,550 more (with tax) that's 38% more.

That's the deal you are looking for. Use their finances, and then write them a check in full in 3 or 4 months, and then get the title in your name.

Jump on that deal, if it makes you happy.

okaycoral said:
The SEL does not make sense. If I think of the net price as $17,000, and the SEL as $6,550 more (with tax) that's 38% more.

For me, the adaptive LED headlights (I like driving through the mountains at night), lane assist camera (VW undersells the capabilities of the driver assist in this vehicle), and easy to maintain (not cloth!) interior were well worth the price.

I can totally see how that’s not worth it though if you just want the objective best value vehicle. It’s hard to justify that much money purely objectively because the extra stuff is mostly ‘nice to have’. The way I saw it was that I was getting some pretty nice features that tend to be exclude to high ent GTIs and Golf R on a car that was going to cost about $24k all up.

Also the blue stripe in the front grill (?) goes through the headlight enclosure on the SEL and you can’t convince me that’s not pretty enough to spend $6,550 on. :p

When I bought my 2015 SEL, I was able to get $12,100 off of MSRP. That was when MSRP was $37,300. So I paid 25,100, I think , or a bit more. This was in October of 2015. It was worth it, at that price, to me.

Nowadays, as much as I like the new 2019, I just don't feel the upgrade to an SEL is worth it. A golf chassis car is just not worth the kind of money VW is asking, not with the Tesla model 3 out and it's range capabilities. The 2019 e-Golf is half that. Battery is still the most expensive part of the car, and the golf has half the battery of a Model 3.

I purchased a blue 2019 e-Golf SE w/ DAP on Friday for $22.8k sales price, ~$25.8k out the door after taxes and ~$450 in fees. I wish I had seen this thread first as it probably would have made negotiations a little easier. I also agreed to finance with the understanding that I can pay it down in 4 months time, but only $7k was actually financed, paid the rest in cash.

I was hoping to get an SEL Premium for ~$30k OTD, but it seems like it wasn’t meant to be. The best offers I got on the SEL Premium were in the 29-30k range for the sales price. I basically decided that I would only do the SEL for <4k more than the SE, as it’s not worth an additional 6k to me.

So far I’m really enjoying the car! I’m in Northern California.

EDIT: actual OTD was $25,339 including VPP discount. See below.

At which dealership did you buy the car?

Northern California 9.25% sales tax on 22,800 comes to 24,909. Adding 450 in fees comes to only 25,359.

ether100 said:
At which dealership did you buy the car?

Northern California 9.25% sales tax on 22,800 comes to 24,909. Adding 450 in fees comes to only 25,359.

You’re correct. I was just working off the top of my head, but I just checked the specific numbers. OTD was $25,339 at Serramonte VW, including VPP discount. I had a similar offer from a couple other dealerships in the area.

Anyone have any pricing on So Cal...I have tried all the dealers in San Diego, Irvine, Anaheim...trying to get them to match the NorCal quotes of $23.7+ttl....no one is budging. They will only do $25.5_ttl

Any So cal dealerships out there?

egolfEr said:
Anyone have any pricing on So Cal...I have tried all the dealers in San Diego, Irvine, Anaheim...trying to get them to match the NorCal quotes of $23.7+ttl....no one is budging. They will only do $25.5_ttl

Any So cal dealerships out there?

You have to go to where the deals and the dealerships are with the deals.

Just a fact of life, with VWoA. Gotta work for those deals, unless they happen to show up in your locale. VW is notorious for this.

Been to Las Vegas, San Diego, Salt Lake City, and Denver for lots of savings on every single new VW TDI I've ever bought. Fly in, drive home.

Back