Considering a 2016 eGolf - thoughts and questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy all. I've been browsing this forum for the last month while I've been shopping for my next car. It's down to the Ford Focus Electric and the 2016 eGolf SE, with my preference definitely towards the eGolf. But... eGolfs are thousands of dollars more in Salt Lake City than the Focus even though the Golfs have half of the mileage. The Golf is the better built car with a longer range, but I'm also hoping the battery will last longer with less degradation based on the Idaho Laboratory's results. I have free Level 2 charging at my work and a free Chargepoint Level 2 charger a quarter mile from my house, so I'm not too worried about keeping the car charged up.

So here's my questions:

- I have a round trip commute of 30 miles, and I'm planning to put around 15k miles on every year to save the money on fuel over my wife's car. Is that reasonable to do for 5-10 years?
- How much battery degradation should I expect on a 3 year old car with ~20k miles that's come off a lease in California?
- Should I go to a VW dealership to have the battery checked out?
- Will the warranty on the battery and powertrain transfer to me? The only documentation I can find is for the new VW cars, and that warranty does not transfer.
- I have no problem bundling up / driving sans AC, but I will have my wife and two kids with me and they'll need heat in the low teens we see in Salt Lake in the winter. How much of a hit comes from using the heater?
- What should I check out / ask about when test driving the cars?

Back