Question: Used 2015 SEL for sale, HV battery replaced twice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajlast

I am shopping for my first e-golf. I found a 2015 SEL for sale with 48,000 miles and the CARFAX report is available online. It shows that a High voltage battery was replaced at both 15k miles and then again at 27k miles. The 15k mile service also included a battery replaced line item so the two other replacements are likely not the 12V battery. The remaining items on the report was just routine maintenance, no major damage or repair work. My question is could this be an indicator of an underlying problem with the car? Or is it just bad luck that the battery needed to be replaced twice? Anyone else have this problem or issue with their e-golf? I am not the owner of the car, just looking as a possible purchase and I wanted to hear other ppls opinion. Thanks.

AFAIK, battery replacement is really uncommon on these cars (so far). There could be an underlying reason (climate combined with excessive DCFC charging perhaps?). Our 2015 SEL is at 54k miles and gets about the same range as it did when we bought it with 32k miles (~80-100 miles on a charge typically). Ours has been the best car I have ever owned from a maintenance/repair standpoint.

So, to answer your question, yes, it would be nice to know why the last two batteries needed to be changed and have the car scanned to check the health of the current battery. Any chance of contacting the dealership tat did the repairs?

Depending on where you are, this car may be a pass, but they can be hard to find in some places so if that is the case where you are further investigation is warranted.

Sounds like awfully bad luck. Almost to the point of not being credible. Probably a good car to stay away from anyway as there should be plenty of other used ones for sale.

Back