Used 2016 SEL with DAP enough?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboy

Hello, I am in the process of shopping for an e-Golf. Obviously if I could get a new one that would be great because I could also get the tax credit but sadly the only new e-Golfs that I see are 2019 SEL which is out of my price range. The e-Golf that I am looking at right now is very close to me and has everything I want, DCFC, heat pump, leather seats, lane keep, park assist, adaptive cruise control etc. The only thing is range. I am almost ready to buy it but I am having doubts regarding the 85 mile range. Does anyone here with a 2016 SEL find the range isn't big enough for them? Thanks :D

I leased a 2015 SEL for three years. Glad it had a heat pump. By the end of the three years in SF Bay Area weather, I really didn't see much degradation in usable capacity, but I still felt 85 miles was not enough for me because I couldn't make a monthly 90 mile highway trip without a 20 minute 24 kW DCFC stop. It turns out I am really glad I bought the newer 2017 e-Golf LE with 125 miles range because on a daily basis I pretty much ignore range. I could have lived with the 85 mile pack but since I was able to get my new car for $22.5k (including taxes), it did not make sense for me to buy out the 2015 lease (and I got 0 percent financing for 5 years, $0 down).

Hi Cowboy! Only you can decide if the range is long enough for your needs. If you drive more than 30-35 miles total each day, I'd recommend you get a car with a range larger than 85 miles.

I too drove a 2016 SE for three years doing 15-20 miles a day. The 85 mile range was totally fine for me to use as a city/commuter car, but I wouldn't want it as my only vehicle. My wife kept her gas car which we used for longer trips.

Back