Lease a 2015 eGolf SEL now or wait for the 2016 eGolf SEL?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lry

With the 2016 so close to being available should I wait to lease my eGolf? Since the residual value will be higher on the new model, I'm wonder if that will make for a better lease deal in a couple months.

You can get a great deal on a 2015, but I desperately wish I had waited. The nav/audio/menu system on the 2015 is terrible. Support for Apple's CarPlay system would be a HUGE plus for me. I also expect that many of the little weird/wrong thing of the 2015 should be fixed like not being able to lock the doors with the app, delayed charging maybe working consistently?, 1/3 of the back up camera view being blocked by a menu, etc.

With that said, maybe none of those things are important to you, but just know that there is a lot wrong with the 2015, so be sure you read all the complaints on this forum and know what you are getting for a "great deal"!

Also, if you are interested in buying out my 2015 lease, please let me know so I can get a 2016 :) haha

Put in perspective what we all have to say about the 2015. I, for one, don't think that there is "a lot wrong" with the 2015. On forums like this, people often complain about things that they'd like to have improved which may overstate the real issues with a particular car. All in all, I think the 2015 eGolf is a great car and I'm glad I got it rather than the BMW i3 or the Nissan Leaf or any other electric vehicle in my price range.

I just talked local VW dealer yesterday and they offered $2500 down + $399/month (36 month lease) for 2016 SEL premium (which is coming in a couple of weeks).
I don't know if I can negotiate and get it lower but if you are more concerned about cost then you probably would not want to go for 2016.
But I'm, like svento, eager to use CarPlay so I'm probably going to go for it.

I agree there is "a lot right" with even the eGolf. For instance, I love the look of the car and I love the feel of the drive. If I forget the center console and most electronic systems of the car, I love it. That's why I said I want the 2016 eGolf and not a different 2016 car :)

Everyone's level of annoyance with bugs is different. For me, if I can detect a bug or problem with something I bought after only using it for a few hours, I consider that something that should have been fixed before I bought it or with an update later. When that bug or problem makes me take silly extra steps every time I use the product, it's a real negative... and even worse when there are many of these. At the time I bought, my only option was to return the car the next day and get something else. I chose to keep the car because of the reasons above! But if a new model year was coming out in a few weeks, I would have returned and waited and hoped for fixes. That's why I thought it's important for the OP to know before potentially wasting their time (especially given the luxury of choice).

The more important thing to me is range, so I am curious when they might be able to increase the range in the next 2 to 3 years. I was glad to get into a lease earlier thinking that by the time it's over maybe the next model with a further range, or another option on the market, might be available

If a 2015 leases for $199, and a 2016 leases for $399, you're talking about doubling your payments for CarPlay and hope that they may have changed the backup camera view? Put another way, you'd pay $2400 a year/$7200 for three years to have those features change?

Buy an iPad Pro, have it custom mounted over the NAV system, add it to your cell plan and save $5,000 over three years. Or save the $7200 and use it to pay for the three year lease of your 2018 e-Golf with 140 mile range and CarPlay 2.

The 2015 is a great car - not perfect but plenty fantastic!

norio66 said:
I just talked local VW dealer yesterday and they offered $2500 down + $399/month (36 month lease) for 2016 SEL premium (which is coming in a couple of weeks).

$399/month? That has to be a typo. no way the Lease price is close to 400 bucks for this car. The 2015 SEL could be leased without alot of negotiation for around 289 based on pretty public information and the MSRP of the 2016 has not changed very much either. Not 100$/month difference!?!? you sure the stealership didn't offer $299? If not, all i have to say to VW is good luck selling the 2016.

nys said:
norio66 said:

$399/month? That has to be a typo. no way the Lease price is close to 400 bucks for this car. The 2015 SEL could be leased without alot of negotiation for around 289 based on pretty public information and the MSRP of the 2016 has not changed very much either. Not 100$/month difference!?!? you sure the stealership didn't offer $299? If not, all i have to say to VW is good luck selling the 2016.

The MSRP hasn't changed much, but there could be many reasons, including a lack of manufacturer and/or dealer incentives, a lower residual value, a less friendly money factor (interest rate), etc. for the 2016's to be so expensive.

Well, $399/month for 2016 can be very true. New car, nice features, they will still lease plenty for that price for sure until some lower prices will come.
Like it was with 2015 - check here what was the lease at the beginning of this year? ~300 for SEL, now - even less then $200 possible. Same thing will be for new version for sure.

Like OP, for example, ready to loose few grands just to go with 2016... And we are talking about $100/month...

Figured i'd add my $0.02 since I purchased a 2015 SEL last night. I'm on the Shoreline of CT, so i don't believe the deals are going to be quite as good as in CA. This purchase was made at Montessi Motors in North Haven, CT. I'd highly recommend them, they came in nearly $100/month below what competitors were quoting me.

Additional disclaimers include the fact that:
- CT has a $3,000 rebate available, not a tax credit, so amount is applied directly to the lease
- I purchased a showroom model with ~75 miles on the odometer
- 3 year, 36K mile lease
- Purchased Excess Wear Policy, which is an additional $21.54/month

Out the Door - $1,000
Monthly Lease Costs Including Tax - $250.56
Car - $229.02
Excess Wear Policy - $21.54
Disposition Fee=$350.00

Total Out of Pocket Lease = $10,370.16

That seems pretty good.

I got my 2015 SEL 3yr/30k lease 6 weeks ago at a net cost of $9,064.

If we subtract the ext wear policy from yours, it comes to 9,594.

So, only $530 for an add'l 6000 miles. (or, 9c/mile)

You either got a very good deal, or I got a mediocre one. :D

Every dealer i talked to here said that the extra 2K miles per year meant $10 more per month, so $360 over the course of the lease. My salesperson mentioned something like an additional $2K in VW of America rebates this month to help move the 2015 SELs.

So those two items combined, i'm still paying more than what folks out in CA are likely going to get it for. There have only been 18 (including mine) e-Golfs sold in CT since the $3K state rebate program started in May. As a result nobody has the big inventory and is looking to off load for cheap.

I'm happy overall as my payment structure came in nearly $100 less per month than what i was quoted from 2 other dealers. I had hoped to get it for at or just under $200 per month, but the dealer wasn't going to move any further. I do wish i had negotiated the wear and tear plan. At that point i had already been there working the numbers and signing papers for nearly an hour and was so exhausted it just wasn't in me.

The idea that there is a better deal to be had does still haunt me a bit. I guess that's my OCD coming out.

I decided to wait for a 2016...I want the CarPlay too.

Just saw Sunnyvale VW is advertising the 2016 http://www.sunnyvalevw.com/E-Golf

SE for $99mo 36 month lease -- $11,045 at signing, $3545 after $7500 rebate (plus tax/lic) 7500mi per yr

SEL for $199/MONTH FOR 36 MONTHS PLUS TAX & LICENSE 10000 MILES A YEAR! ON APPROVED CREDIT. PLUS! $2500 CA. EV REBATE AND HOV DECAL AVAILABLE TO REGISTERED LESSEE.* 2016 E-Golf SEL PREMIUM
Disclaimer: $11,315. due at signing, $3815 after $7500 rebate. Plus tax and license. $0 security deposit. Customer is liable for a mileage charge of $.20 per mile over 30,000 miles and for excess wear and tear. $2500 California electric vehicle rebate and HOV decal available to registered lessee.

Everything I've seen says the $7500 rebate is property of the lease company because they own the car and only the $2500 CA incentive goes to the leasee. I think that ad is a mistake.

With $2500 instead of $7500, it comes out to $12145 over three years which is in line with what the 2015 e-Golf was a year ago. Maybe the $7500 rebate is a coincidence in value though and this is just a pretty good deal.

FYI Capitol VW in San Jose has the same deal.
http://www.capitolvolkswagen.com/specials/lease.htm

Both have lots in stock (as of this morning 39 in Sunnyvale, 49 in Capitol).

I helped a friend purchase a 2015 SEL a couple of months ago from Sunnyvale. They were awesome to work with, if you need a recommendation. Sales price of $27,999 (which two months ago was unheard of). Worked with David B and his sup Branko.

chencezann said:
FYI Capitol VW in San Jose has the same deal.
http://www.capitolvolkswagen.com/specials/lease.htm

Both have lots in stock (as of this morning 39 in Sunnyvale, 49 in Capitol).

I helped a friend purchase a 2015 SEL a couple of months ago from Sunnyvale. They were awesome to work with, if you need a recommendation. Sales price of $27,999 (which two months ago was unheard of). Worked with David B and his sup Branko.
damn, that for sure was a smoking good deal at the time. I qualified this week for Owner Loyalty $2000 cash back, myself on Oct 6th. Own 4 vws now, so 27700 OTD. I'm in a 7.5% sales tax county, every little bit helps, and no financing through vw.

PMC2015 said:
Everything I've seen says the $7500 rebate is property of the lease company because they own the car and only the $2500 CA incentive goes to the leasee.

Correct. If it so chooses, the manufacturer (via its leasing arm) can pass part or all of that $7500 rebate to the lessee, by adding it to the Capitalized Cost Reduction (aka the "down payment"). If they won't, you're outta luck.

Back