First ID.3 production vehicles roll off the assembly line in Zwickau

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed. I'm holding out hope that it'll come to the US eventually. It's pretty much everything I'm looking for in this segment (though I'd prefer physical volume and temperature knobs, as well a few other nitpicks). Maybe it's popularity overseas will spark sufficient interest here?

"a. Defendants shall offer and sell two additional BEV models in
California, including one BEV Sport Utility Vehicle (“SUV”), in or before
2019. For the avoidance of doubt, this means that Defendants must offer no fewer
than three BEVs (the two additional BEVs, plus Volkswagen’s existing e-Golf
BEV or its BEV successor), including one SUV BEV, in California in or before
b. Defendants shall offer and sell an additional BEV SUV model in
California in or before 2020. For the avoidance of doubt, this means that
Defendants must offer no fewer than three BEVs (the two additional BEVs
described in paragraph 11(a), plus the third additional BEV described in this
paragraph), including two SUV BEVs, in California in or before 2020.
c. Defendants shall offer and sell these three additional BEV models
(or their successors) in California through 2025, and they shall sell an average of
5,000 of these three additional BEV models (collectively) in California each year
from 2019 until 2025. For the avoidance of doubt, this means that Defendants are
required to sell 35,000 total units of the three additional BEV models (or their
successors) during the seven-year period 2019 to 2025, but that they are not
required to sell 5,000 units in any given year.
d. It is the intention of the parties that the requirements of this section
will result in an increased availability of ZEVs in California. For that reason: (i)
Defendants shall not sell ZEV credits resulting from their sale in California of these
three additional models; and (ii) Volkswagen shall continue to offer its existing
BEV model (the VW e-Golf BEV) or its successor or replacement models in
California until 2019. In the event that Volkswagen introduces a new BEV model
in the United States between 2020 and 2025, it agrees to offer that BEV model (or
its successor) in California until at least 2025. "

The way I read this, VW group needs to have 4 BEVs on sale in CA in 2020 through 2025. We have the upcoming ID.4 (said to be on sale in USA by the end of 2020), the e-Tron, the Taycan, and car X. Car X is the e-Golf or its replacement or successor. I believe the ID.3 is Car X and will be on sale in CA in 2020. If Car X is not the ID. 3, what car will that be?

VW will not bring the id.3 here until some TBD date, if at all. They have stated this multiple times.

The first id.x we get will be the id.4 CUV most likely in 2021 followed by the Buzz (id.5?).

I don’t see the bus as an e-Golf successor or replacement, and 2021 is too late for VW to avoid violating the legal agreement with CA. VW announced at least twice, I believe in 2017 and 2018, that they were discontinuing the e-Golf, but then it reversed course. I believe the ID.3 must come to the US so VW does not violate the CA settlement I posted above.

I personally can't stand the aesthetics of the ID.3. I don't understand why they went away from the golf look to that monstrosity honestly. I'm happy others like it though, I want it to do well so VW keeps making EV's, but man I hope the ID.4 is a much better looking car...

For those wondering why it's not coming to this side of the pond... Straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

VW of North America CEO Scott Keogh
"Let's be honest about the A hatch segment. One segment sells 5 million (compact crossovers). The other segment sells 60,000 cars. I love the A hatch segment. I love the GTI. I love the Golf R. I drive an e-Golf. But there is no debate in the world; it is a less profitable and significantly smaller segment. It is particularly hard to price in America compared to an A (segment) SUV. It is a whole different world. For us, it was a no-brainer."
https://carbuzz.com/news/why-volkswagen-decided-not-to-sell-id-3-in-america?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=apple.news

I'd still love to have one. :( Maybe someday when the economies of scale brought on by selling millions of ID.4 models, we'll finally get the ID.3 (or whatever is comparable at the time) here.

The ID.3 would definitely be my first choice to replace my '15 eGolf when the time comes. As it looks now, I'll consider the ID.4 if it looks significantly different than the prototype (which IMHO is UGLY), or I'll hold out for the BUZZ (ID.5?) if it looks like it will truly be sold here in the US.

Back