eGolf vs. LEAF

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never driven a LEAF, but a co-worker of mine who's a car nut has... he's also now driven my eGolf and came away *extremely* impressed. His reaction: the eGolf seemed to have much better performance of the LEAF he'd driven.

Furthermore, I had to talk him into hammering it around some corners and he was even more impressed. Despite the LLR Contis, I've felt it has pretty good grip and good control of body motion, and my friend concurred. He said (paraphrasing) that the eGolf was very impressive; handled and accelerated like a decent sports car, good sporty seats, high-quality interior, good interior room and comfort, and was well-equipped. Granted, it's not a Boxter or M3, but that's not the point.

This friend owns a Mini Cooper S with JCW kit, a 1974 Triumph Spitfire, a Range Rover Sport V8, and an Audi allroad so he's had some experience with sport/luxury/performance cars.

I just wanted to share the reaction of someone (unlike myself ;) ) who hasn't necessarily "drunk the Kool-aid" ;)

I know at least some folks on this list have owned (past or currently) both LEAF and eGolf - please feel free to comment.

I am coming to the end of my 3 year Leaf experience, my first with any vehicle that is not purely powered by a fossil fuel. I also picked up an eGolf a few months back as I wasn't sure how good the lease deals would be when it's time to turn my Leaf in.

Over at MyNissanLeaf I posted these comments: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14166&start=160 Note I posted these comments 2-1/2 months ago, with very little mileage accrued on the car at the time. I have added editing notes to my original comments to reflect changes in opinion and observation.

Advantage eGolf
  • Styling (personal taste): not exciting, but not polarizing either. The wheels unique to the electric (EDIT: actually, SEL electric) version, the lack of a tailpipe, and some discreet badging are the only outward signs that this is not a fossil-fuel powered Golf.
  • Battery: although the eGolf supposedly has the same size battery as the Leaf, in my short time with it it seems to go further on that same size. My average so far is 4.6 miles/kWH; I have to stay off the freeway to get that kind of economy with the Leaf. I also get more regen but my Leaf does not have "B" mode. EDIT: It's not hard for me to reach 5 miles/kWH average, something I could never achieve in the Leaf.
  • Stereo: much better sounding than the standard Leaf stereo. I don't know how it compares with the Bose version.
  • Driving dynamics: while the steering is not as communicative as that of my Audi, or a rental Golf TDI I had in Europe a few years ago, it's MUCH better than the Leaf's.
  • Ride is a bit harsher than the Leaf's though, but not as bone-jarring as my Audi A3 Premium.
  • Outward visibility: even though it has a lower roofline, I can see out of the Golf better, especially out the right rear.
  • LIghting: Low beam is a bit better than the Leaf's, and MUCH better on high beam. Note this is for the SEL which has all-LED lighting; I don't know about the LE which uses halogen headlight bulbs for both low and high beam. EDIT: this comparison is with a 2012 Leaf with the LED low beams/halogen high beams. Some later model Leafs use a single halogen bulb with a dual-filament setup like a standard car, and the light output of those headlights are even worse.
  • Parking sensors: IMHO far more useful than a backup camera. Standard on all eGolfs, and the sensors are on the front bumper as well.
  • Cargo cover is standard on all eGolfs. On Leaf S and (I think SV) it's optional. The one on the eGolf feels more substantial than the "papier-mache" one of the Leaf. eGolf also has rear-seat reading lamps, and those can be turned on remotely from the front seat.

Advantage Leaf
  • Ergonomics: the higher roofline and higher seating position of the Leaf makes it easier to get in and out of. The center armrest of the eGolf is a bit too low for my liking and also does not match the height of the door armrests; the one on the Leaf was the perfect height and was the same height as that of the doors. EDIT: I have since figured out how to adjust the eGolf's center armrest.
  • Placement of charging port: this may not be an issue for some, but the Golf's charging port being placed where the fuel filler goes on the ICE versions is a PITA. I either have to back the car into my garage (which presents other inconveniences), or I have to unwind all of the EVSE cord. The nose-mounted charging port of the Leaf is so much more convenient IMHO. Also it's a PITA to have to use the keyfob to unlock the charging handle on the eGolf, which it ALWAYS does. I wish it could either be unlocked from a button inside the car, or better yet make the feature user-enabled. EDIT: Pressing the unlock button on either front door unlocks the charging handle, but unlocking via the keyfob sometimes requires more than one try.
  • Leaf does not require a special cable for iPod/iPhone connectivity, though the eGolf did come with it. That cable is also the old-style 30 pin so if you have any Apple iDevice newer than an iPhone 4S you will need to use a 30 pin to Lightning adapter; I have not yet tried using one to see how well it works. 2016 eGolfs are supposed to come with normal USB ports plus CarPlay/Android Auto capability. EDIT: My dealer was supposed to provide me with a Lightning Cable. I have since used a 30 pin to Lightning adapter, as I feel the included cable is way too short.
  • While the standard Leaf stereo does not sound as good as that of the eGolf, it is more intuitive to use, especially via the steering wheel controls.
    Homelink comes with the Leaf SL, but is not available on any eGolf (as of MY 2015). EDIT: the Leaf's center display is higher resolution than the eGolf's.
  • EDIT: My 2012 Leaf is a tad faster off the line than the eGolf. Later model Leafs aren't quite as quick as the earlier cars.
  • EDIT: Some things that require the use of CarNet in the eGolf can be done in-car on the Leaf, like setting the charge and pre-conditioning timers. Pre 2014 Leafs have an available 80% "Long Life" mode but unfortunately Nissan eliminated that in 2014 for the US/Canadian market.

Tossup:
  • Leaf's available CHAdeMO makes it easier to find a QC station. But CCS is a standard feature on all eGolfs sold here.
  • Overall cargo capacity: the Leaf's trunk is MUCH deeper (vertical dimension) than that of the eGolf. But, the eGolf has a naturally flat-ish cargo space when the seats are down, whereas with the Leaf you have to buy the factory cargo dividers (or make your own false floor) in order to get a flat load floor.
  • Golf's climate control is easier to operate without taking your eyes off the road, but when you can do so, the Leaf's is easier to read as the display is higher up on the dash and in a larger font.
  • A/C on both cars appears to cool equally well, I got to test that on Saturday with our rather humid (for SoCal) weather. Leaf interior was slightly more comfortable as it has the beige cloth seats vs. the black leatherette of my eGolf. eGolf does have rear-seat vents which is not a feature at all on the Leaf. EDIT: the eGolf's A/C proved itself as well during the hot August and September weather, but has this annoying habit reverting to 72 degrees if the car is parked for a certain length of time. The Leaf retains whatever its last setting was, the way it's supposed to.
  • I prefer the Golf's analog gauges to the Leaf's digital ones, but on the eGolf some readouts (like the trip odometer, annoyingly) require you access a rather complex menu system. EDIT: I'd also like to see a battery temperature gauge like the Leaf has.
  • Both don't have active TMS. I wonder if there's anything like LeafSpy for the eGolf?

Thanks for the reply - I'm glad to see a more extensive comparison from someone who has ownership experience with both cars.

Excellent summary of the advantages of each RonDawg. My 3-year lease of the LEAF was up in April. I tried driving an ICE car that was in the family for a while since it was already paid for but I couldn't handle it. I had to get back into an EV which I did last week after a lot of research. I considered the 2016 LEAF because of the increased range but the minute I drove the eGolf I was hooked. In my mind, the quality of the materials and the driving experience are both far superior in the eGolf. This car is the hands-down winner over the LEAF.

There are just a few things that I find to be superior on the LEAF: heated-steering wheel, ability to set the charging/climate control timers from the car, heated rear seats, HomeLink and location of the charging port. Like you said, that last one is a real PITA. The only thing I miss each time I drive is the heated steering wheel. Unless my trip was a long one, I could usually get by with the heated seats and heated steering wheel.

The eGolf is WAY more fun to drive than the LEAF was. And I find the range to be superior. I seem to get more miles per charge than I did in the LEAF. But then again, it's been an abnormally warm week here in the northeast.

RonDawg said:
Some things that require the use of CarNet in the eGolf can be done in-car on the Leaf, like setting the charge and pre-conditioning timers.

FinallyFree said:
...ability to set the charging/climate control timers from the car

Just a quick note for those that find this thread in the future. My 2016 SEL lets me sett all the charging/climate functions of Car-Net from the head-unit. Charging profiles/locations, departure times, max charge level, climate, max current, night rate timer, etc.

I'm not sure if this is 2015->2016 change or the upgraded head unit in the 2016 SEL, but it has all worked for me since I brought it home.

kirby said:
Just a quick note for those that find this thread in the future. My 2016 SEL lets me sett all the charging/climate functions of Car-Net from the head-unit. Charging profiles/locations, departure times, max charge level, climate, max current, night rate timer, etc.

I'm not sure if this is 2015->2016 change or the upgraded head unit in the 2016 SEL, but it has all worked for me since I brought it home.
Yes, this was changed for 2016. The requirement to set the charging schedule in CarNet is only present in USA 2015 e-Golf models. Other markets like Europe had this functionality in the infotainment system from the start.

FinallyFree said:
There are just a few things that I find to be superior on the LEAF: heated-steering wheel, ability to set the charging/climate control timers from the car, heated rear seats, HomeLink and location of the charging port. Like you said, that last one is a real PITA. The only thing I miss each time I drive is the heated steering wheel. Unless my trip was a long one, I could usually get by with the heated seats and heated steering wheel.

I found the Leaf's heated steering wheel to be annoying in its operation. For those not aware, the Leaf's wheel gets VERY hot, then turns off until it's ice cold before warming up again. Some folks have moderated the temperature swings by manually turning the heating function on and off, but that's a PITA. The heated seats don't do that, so I don't know why Nissan had to do that with the steering wheel.

Also, HomeLink is only included on the top-level Leaf SL trim. My Leaf SV didn't have it, and the base model Leaf S certainly won't, not even as an optional accessory. You can get an aftermarket Gentex mirror with built-in Homelink that looks like the factory version.

A heated steering wheel?
Ryan-Gosling-Driving-Gloves.jpg

I know this is a bit of an old thread, but just wanted to comment on the heated steering wheel topic.

I live in what is considered a country with moderate weather, but we do have fairly cold winter mornings where your fingers would literally freeze as soon as you put your hands on the steering wheel (for a few weeks a year at least). Now, I don't feel comfortable driving with any type of gloves and for me, with light gloves on, my fingers would still freeze, just like my feet do when I get into bed with socks on. Apart from using more energy, turning the heat on just to heat my hands, will usually raise the cabin temperature enough to make it uncomfortably hot inside.

So a good heated steering wheel would be the ideal compromise. Of course this might be just be me as my hands would still freeze on a cold day, even if I am wearing a jacket and sweating inside it. Whole point is, I can understand that a heated steering wheel can be as useful as cabin heating and more in certain situations.

Just my 2c :)

It's disappointing to hear the e-golf doesn't have a heated steering wheel, that's been a big factor for the LEAF. To keep the range up I often don't use heat and rely on the heated seats/wheel. I don't view it as poorly as the previous poster, it has an automatic thermostat that kicks it back on at, I forget exactly, 67 degrees perhaps?

Hope they add it in the future

As far as the e-Golf looking like its ICE counterpart, don't forget the C-shaped DRLs and blue accented front grill, both are exclusive to EVs in the VW line (e-Golf, eos, and GTE).

Jeremy1026 said:
As far as the e-Golf looking like its ICE counterpart, don't forget the C-shaped DRLs and blue accented front grill, both are exclusive to EVs in the VW line (e-Golf, eos, and GTE).

The Eos is not an EV. It's a hardtop convertible with a regular ICE.

bf13bd16f1281bf99ce206221393dbd5.jpg

Would have preferred the front charge port used on the GTE (also Audi used it on their A3 e-tron PHEV) based on where my EVSE is located; my e-Golf replaced a LEAF -- my garage is a tandem setup but it wasn't a deal breaker to have it where it is. As both the A3 e-tron and GTE are PHEV's makes perfect sense instead pf having another fuel filler 'door' that the charge port gets hidden in front (probably less tooling costs); its also a really neat setup IMO. Pulling in to charge at non-home based charging stations versus backing in always seems to make the most sense but with the e-Golf being fairly short anyway that doesn't seem to matter as much (versus say a Tesla).

Back