Your highest mileage before re-charging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Up until this past Sunday my longest distance between charges was 117 miles. While I didn't seek to deplete the battery, I had to make a side trip which ended up putting me in the red zone. I made it to the charger after driving 123.7 miles with estimated 21 remaining. Probably could have gotten more range if I had not run the heater. Most of the driving was in 50-68 F weather with limited highway and hills.

Would be interesting to hear what numbers other drivers are getting between charges.

1kamF5zmllkUHeji1
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jpwC67epbpAMesW43

GawrnHzx4RuU1ohz2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YNOFYhs3auCOvcUV2

SocaleGolf said:
Up until this past Sunday my longest distance between charges was 117 miles. While I didn't seek to deplete the battery, I had to make a side trip which ended up putting me in the red zone. I made it to the charger after driving 123.7 miles with estimated 21 remaining. Probably could have gotten more range if I had not run the heater. Most of the driving was in 50-68 F weather with limited highway and hills.

Would be interesting to hear what numbers other drivers are getting between charges.

1kamF5zmllkUHeji1
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jpwC67epbpAMesW43

GawrnHzx4RuU1ohz2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YNOFYhs3auCOvcUV2

What year and model is your e-Golf? 24.3 kwh battery or 35.8 kwh?

From time to time, I'll try and out-do my last "think blue" score for an entire charge cycle. For some reason my last score achieved must have encountered a glitch, as my distance traveled/km remaining would be unattainable under normal circumstance, but I'll take it as I'm just an EV driving Master :D

http://imgur.com/768Cwwy

On another note, I returned home the other day and only had about 20kms range remaining. I decided to drive around the neighbourhood to drain the battery in the name of SCIENCE!! But actually just to know for future... That once the battery is fully drained, there is still a buffer of energy remaining. I wasn't brave enough to drive too far away from my home charger to find out the exact range remaining...but I might try it in the future. Did you know that?!?! Now you know!!!!

http://imgur.com/0Hs8Oqc

Out of my 2015 SEL with 24.2 kWh battery, I believe I have gotten 115 mile, a couple of times. I have gotten 100 to 106 miles at least 10 to 15x, but I usually just recharge when the tank indicator is between 1/4 and 1/3 full. Easy to do if you drive it conservatively and get 6 to 6.3 Miles per kwh, which has been happening for me for close to 2 years now. Took 5 to 6 months to optimize my driving manners and adjust my patience level to do so, in the very beginning.

JoulesThief said:
Out of my 2015 SEL with 24.2 kWh battery, I believe I have gotten 115 mile, a couple of times. I have gotten 100 to 106 miles at least 10 to 15x, but I usually just recharge when the tank indicator is between 1/4 and 1/3 full. Easy to do if you drive it conservatively and get 6 to 6.3 Miles per kwh, which has been happening for me for close to 2 years now. Took 5 to 6 months to optimize my driving manners and adjust my patience level to do so, in the very beginning.
I drive on highway 97% of my commute. It is 30mi distance each way. I thing it is not possible to get 6,3mi/kwh on highway. Or not?

YeGolf said:
JoulesThief said:
I drive on highway 97% of my commute. It is 30mi distance each way. I thing it is not possible to get 6,3mi/kwh on highway. Or not?
It is not possible at speeds consistently over 55mph. The average speed must be much lower, like 45mph and few stops to get 6mi/kWh. JT is retired and as he said above, has the patience to drive slower, even on city streets, to achieve that number.

miimura said:
It is not possible at speeds consistently over 55mph ... JT is retired and as he said above, has the patience to drive slower, even on city streets, to achieve that number.

JT is the ideal e-Golf owner...hypermiler at it's best

Pop quiz: Does anyone recall why our government created the "Stay Alive…Drive 55" campaign back in the early 70s?

NurStrom said:
miimura said:
It is not possible at speeds consistently over 55mph ... JT is retired and as he said above, has the patience to drive slower, even on city streets, to achieve that number.

JT is the ideal e-Golf owner...hypermiler at it's best

Pop quiz: Does anyone recall why our government created the "Stay Alive…Drive 55" campaign back in the early 70s?

Fuel conservation... we had massive oil shortages at the time with current production and extraction oil techniques. This would allow lower overall oil production needs, since "Peak Oil" production and running out of oil was predicted at the time.

Don't recall many people actually driving the speed limit of 55 mph, but most stayed under 65 mph. I recall truckers hating the lower limits and how it was hurting there business.

Recently had to drive my kid across town and I decided to take streets with the e-Golf, instead of the freeway. Normally the 15 mile commute would have been quicker by freeway, but the street alternate which pretty much parallels the freeway was faster that day. About a week later I learned she now drives the alternate route even with an ICE. She could be a good EV candidate. :D

SocaleGolf said:
Don't recall many people actually driving the speed limit of 55 mph, but most stayed under 65 mph. I recall truckers hating the lower limits and how it was hurting there business.

Recently had to drive my kid across town and I decided to take streets with the e-Golf, instead of the freeway. Normally the 15 mile commute would have been quicker by freeway, but the street alternate which pretty much parallels the freeway was faster that day. About a week later I learned she now drives the alternate route even with an ICE. She could be a good EV candidate. :D

If you can maintain motion on the freeway, and its' not stop and go, the ICE is almost always better on the freeway.

Also, statistically, Surface streets with cross traffic and stop lights is 7x more liable to be in a car accident than on the freeway, in rush hour traffic. Just a FYI

SocaleGolf said:
Don't recall many people actually driving the speed limit of 55 mph, but most stayed under 65 mph.

It depends on the state. In California, speed limit enforcement on the freeway is not as strict as in other states. CHP is understaffed and for a long time they weren't even allowed to use radar when their city cop counterparts could. If you see speed limit signs that say "Radar Enforced" below it, that was from the 90's when the Legislature finally allowed CHP to use radar on those stretches of highway that are signposted as such (that requirement is no longer in effect).

I hear that Virginia State Police and Ohio Highway Patrol are particularly strict about enforcing speed limits.

JT is right; while 55 was promoted as a "safety feature" the real reason was to cut down on the country's dependence on oil at a time when the Arab world was using oil embargoes to drive our foreign policy. Remember that in 1973 small fuel efficient cars were not predominant, gas guzzling V-8's were, so OPEC had the US by the "huevos" so to speak. Nowadays we import less of a percentage of our oil from Arab nations as we did in 1973 and today's cars are much more fuel efficient.

I've been searching high and low on the 'net to find other reports of 2017 e-Golf mileage with the 35kWh battery, I only found one article discussing practical observed mileage ranges. Everything else I can find suggests 125 miles, which is the published VW spec, and further I believe is way too low based on actual driving experience.

Starting with a full charge, I am regularly getting the car to report 170+ miles of range. This is with full regen active (3 clicks to the left), and full eco mode (3 button presses). No B mode, D mode. Being gentle on the accelerator, I can routinely get between 5 to 6 miles per kWh consumed with a mix of local and freeway traffic driving, even more if I'm just slowly driving around on local streets. This computes out to about right, my simple mind calculates it to be 5 miles per kWh x 35 kWh battery = around 175 miles of total range. This is far better than the 4 miles per kWh I was getting with my 2015 Nissan Leaf lease (now returned and done).

Overall, with this real world observed performance, I'm pretty darn impressed given the price paid for the vehicle after all incentives and dealer discounting - the price per mile of range is extremely cost effective. Have been driving the car for about a month to gather these basic observations.

So - what are you folks seeing - about the same? Anyone getting dramatically worse, or better?

I have yet to use the full 32 kWh of available energy as I usually keep the SOC between 30% and 80%. Most of my driving is local and the efficiency I get is typically about 5.5 miles/kWh. If I were to use the full 32 kWh, 5.5*32=176 miles. Since I actually use about 50% of the battery energy, I usually drive about 80 miles before recharging, suggesting I would get 160 miles out of a full charge.

f1geek said:
I have yet to use the full 32 kWh of available energy as I usually keep the SOC between 30% and 80%. Most of my driving is local and the efficiency I get is typically about 5.5 miles/kWh. If I were to use the full 32 kWh, 5.5*32=176 miles. Since I actually use about 50% of the battery energy, I usually drive about 80 miles before recharging, suggesting I would get 160 miles out of a full charge.

That's really pretty darn good Mp kWh f1geek. I'm impressed that you are doing so well, without much effort being exerted to make that kind of range. Very efficient! You should be proud.

Now that the weather is getting nicer (Portland, OR) I'm seeing much better numbers. My commute is 20 miles each way of which 16 is freeway. On my drive to work I get about 5.2 miles per kWh and 5.8 on the way home (more traffic). I recently did a 125 mile drive (Portland to Eugene) and got 4.1 miles/kWh going 65 the whole way with the AC on (outside temp was 72). I made the 125 with 8 miles left.

Hi everybody
I’ve just converted from Tdi to egolf and have the 2019 model.
When left on the trickle charger overnight which is maybe on average 8hours my biggest recharge value has only been 127miles .
With ChargePoints very limited in South Wales should I be getting a better figures to start the day off.
Would a fully fitted home charger give higher charge values
Thanks mike

Back