Decals and awareness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3m3rson

I did not know that the e-Golf existed until 3 weeks before I bought one. Branding in the U.S. has been horrible. Here are some ideas to dress up your e-Golf and help passers by get a clue...

VW Accessory - Second Skin eGolf 100% Electric (ALSO AVAILABLE IN GREY+BLUE)
SFPLImage228744.jpg

2017 e-Golf Refresh Announcement
front-end-closeup-front-fender-zoom-in-egolf-badge-passenger-side-video-id1084931708

Easy Apply Chrome Lettering - 1 0 0 % E L E C T R I C
s-l1600.jpg

Infinite Miles Per Gallon Decal
InfiniteMPG-1-1024x780.jpg

I think you'll find that many e-Golf owners buy their e-Golfs, specifically because it doesn't make a statement about being an electric BEV only car. It pretty much looks like any other Golf, unless you know exactly what to look for. It's a sleeper, it's owner doesn't need or want the added attention.

I didn't have any trouble finding a new one in Oct of 2015, at all. In rare White with Beige interior SEL package. MSRP was $36,300 at the time that I bought mine, but being VW brand loyal, I got every single discount I could get with VW and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse... about $25,200 before my $7500 tax credit and CA $2500 rebate. That will probably never happen again.

Buy a Nissan Leaf or a Tesla, or a Honda Clarity if you want to make a statement.

Looks like you got a swinging deal on your new e-Golf, and you too, got the Beige SEL interior. I hope it holds up well for you on the salted roads of MA and surrounding states.

JoulesThief said:
I think you'll find that many e-Golf owners buy their e-Golfs, specifically because it doesn't make a statement about being an electric BEV only car. It pretty much looks like any other Golf, unless you know exactly what to look for. It's a sleeper, it's owner doesn't need or want the added attention.

I didn't have any trouble finding a new one in Oct of 2015, at all. In rare White with Beige interior SEL package. MSRP was $36,300 at the time that I bought mine, but being VW brand loyal, I got every single discount I could get with VW and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse... about $25,200 before my $7500 tax credit and CA $2500 rebate. That will probably never happen again.

Buy a Nissan Leaf or a Tesla, or a Honda Clarity if you want to make a statement.

Looks like you got a swinging deal on your new e-Golf, and you too, got the Beige SEL interior. I hope it holds up well for you on the salted roads of MA and surrounding states.

^^^^This...and it is a Mk 7 Golf which is a very nice car regardless (I prefer the GTI or R if gas powered). I like that it looks like a Golf and doesn't scream out EV.

Exactly my point. Why on earth do we have GTI and R badged Golfs, with all their special trim, stripes and decals, if not to signify what's under the hood? You see a GTI or R and you KNOW you are looking at a hot hatch. Passers by may see the "e" in eGolf (note that it is lower case!) but have no idea how special the car is in front of them. Maybe they think, "hmmm... a hybrid?"

I personally want my neighbors to know that the eGolf is out there. EVs don't have to be ugly or otherwise cost a fortune. There is a middle ground and VW has found it.

3m3rson said:
Exactly my point. Why on earth do we have GTI and R badged Golfs, with all their special trim, stripes and decals, if not to signify what's under the hood? You see a GTI or R and you KNOW you are looking at a hot hatch. Passers by may see the "e" in eGolf (note that it is lower case!) but have no idea how special the car is in front of them. Maybe they think, "hmmm... a hybrid?"

I personally want my neighbors to know that the eGolf is out there. EVs don't have to be ugly or otherwise cost a fortune. There is a middle ground and VW has found it.

You think your neighbors care what you drive? How vain! Why should they care? Maybe you should buy another badge that your neighbors do care about. It's a car, it's transportation, nothing more, nothing less. It's not a political statement. That is flawed reasoning and logic. Don't force what you drive on others, for their input or opinion. If they are interested, they'll come to you and ask more about it. Let them take the initiative, not you.

I own a Touareg TDI. Only another Touareg owner might be interested in which version, of 4, that I might own. Nobody else even bothers. As it should be.

JoulesThief said:
It's not a political statement.

Some people like their virtue signaling. It's why people buy a Toyota Prius when you can get nearly as much mileage from another car that is not nearly as ugly. It screams "I AM SAVING THE PLANET!"

Personally, I love the anonymity of my eGolf, after having a Leaf. It's even more anonymous-looking now that I've removed the expired HOV stickers off my rear bumper.

RonDawg said:
JoulesThief said:
It's not a political statement.

Some people like their virtue signaling. It's why people buy a Toyota Prius when you can get nearly as much mileage from another car that is not nearly as ugly. It screams "I AM SAVING THE PLANET!"

Personally, I love the anonymity of my eGolf, after having a Leaf. It's even more anonymous-looking now that I've removed the expired HOV stickers off my rear bumper.

Yes, my e-Golf now looks "clean" too, with the white hov decals removed and cleaned up. I rather like the clean look on German cars, completely decal free.

I love the look of my "dirty" e-Golf with red HOV stickers as I drive by all those cars stuck in bumper to bumper traffic.

f1geek said:
I love the look of my "dirty" e-Golf with red HOV stickers as I drive by all those cars stuck in bumper to bumper traffic.
When you've earned retirement, you don't have to drive in bumper to bumper traffic on a daliy basis anymore, young man. You take your domestic partner or significant other with you, and you don't need stickers for the HOV.

You think your neighbors care what you drive?.. It's a car, it's transportation, nothing more, nothing less.

Dude, stop trolling.

I have three neighbors now considering the e-Golf once they found out it existed. They've been waiting to take the plunge on all-electric, but weren't fans of the body styles and brands of the obvious EVs on the street.

Since you are someone who drives a TDI, let me assure you that your choice of transportation does matter. An EV is quite different from an ICE, from comfort to carbon footprint.

3m3rson said:
You think your neighbors care what you drive?.. It's a car, it's transportation, nothing more, nothing less.

Dude, stop trolling.

I have three neighbors now considering the e-Golf once they found out it existed. They've been waiting to take the plunge on all-electric, but weren't fans of the body styles and brands of the obvious EVs on the street.

Since you are someone who drives a TDI, let me assure you that your choice of transportation does matter. An EV is quite different from an ICE, from comfort to carbon footprint.

You want some decals as shown in the first photo you depicted? I have a factory set for sale, that you can install on your car doors, yourself. $37 shipped to you. Blue "e" the rest is silver, I believe. PM me if interested as they were a gift from VW to me and I never installed them.

You are correct, my SEL e-Golf is nowhere near as comfortable as my TDI SEL Passat, or my Lux TDI Touareg.

Any difference in Carbon foot print is nonsense. There's tons of plant life waiting to take CO2, rob it of it's carbon bond, for growth, and cut loose with O2 into the atmosphere. Add some chlorophyll and sunshine, and you have renewed plant life, instead of animal life. It's not rocket science.

Back