Going Surfing with the e-Golf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccuesta

I thought I would share some pictures of using my e-Golf to carry my surfboard. I live in the Mission District of San Francisco, about 15mi away from my surfing spot (Linda Mar, Pacifica State Beach).

I purchased a set of factory roof racks from Amazon and since they are designed to work all Golfs, they worked fine on the e-Golf. The nice thing about the factory racks is that they are easy to put on and take off. I usually put the racks on the night before (takes about 15min) and take them off after my last surfing trip. I have a 10ft long board that I tie down to the racks using some ratchet straps.

The resistance on the car from the board and the racks is obviously noticeable, but the car handles it pretty well. I would say I get about 15%-20% decrease in range with them on the car, but I am to make it out to my spot and back with >50% of the battery left. Although the route does go over some very steep terrain. The good news about Linda Mar beach is that there is a L3 DC charger right in front of the beach!

Let me know if you have an questions!

tLoXzNHl.jpg

tJXK2ykl.jpg

Nice! I sometimes surf at Linda Mar. Take my Subaru though (don't want to mess up the e-Golf with the wetness/sand/etc. Maybe in a couple years when it's interior doesn't feel so new, I'll take the e-Golf out there.

Thanks for the help attaching images, RonDawg.

I really like my setup for windsurfing/kiting as it is super easy to remove the racks to reduce wind resistance when desired.

First have Yakima Rack tracks installed - they are low profile tracks that are screwed directly onto the top, and are very strong (it's not unusual for me to be driving 65 mph into a 35+ mph headwind, so I need this to be bomber).

Then attach four Yakima "Landing Pads" by sliding flat nuts into the tracks and screwing the Pads down tightly at the desired location - t's easy to slide them back and forth by simply loosening the screws a bit.

The crossbars are attached to the Landing Pads with four Control Towers. This is the best part - when attached, they are removed by simply pulling a lever down and they pop off - once everything is set up as I like it, they can be popped on and off in an instant, yet they are bomber strong when attached. As you can see I have a Thule box attached to the bars, next to where I lash the board.

20160717-172015_zpsaip5kltt.jpg

20160722-102032_zpsrgfatgoz.jpg

20160722-102136_zpsfmlyqiwo.jpg

Jaysher said:
I can't figure out how to attach photos - can anyone help?

You need to host the photos on a photo sharing website like Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc. Each photo will have a unique URL; copy that url by highlighting and pressing CTRL-C (some like Photobucket do this automatically when you click on a box), come back to this thread, press the "IMG" button above, and paste (CTRL-V) the URL in between the two bracketed areas.

Or, hit "quote" on any post with an embedded image (like the first one) to see how it's done.

Back