2016 e-Golf SEL with new wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmstuff

Hi, first time posting here. I picked up my Pacific Blue e-Golf last night and just couldn't stand the funky looking wheels. Half of a can of Plastidip and about 2 hours later, I wound up with this. Let me know what you think.
BD4E2CEB-6967-44C9-BCB2-208B60FCFA43_zpshi1qual4.jpg

File_000_zpsukxm0aqt.jpeg

I like it. Why did you choose Plastidip as opposed to any black spray paint and how did you prepare the surface and apply it? Is there more than one black Plastidip?

The look comes close to what I feel are the best looking wheels.... VW's "Brooklyn" but those would be an expensive retrofit and I believe they're one inch smaller. Also the aerodynamics probably wouldn't be as good, although I don't know how significantly it would affect range. Your solution is much cheaper

Ron

egolfwheelsbrooklyn.jpg

I've owned over 20 VW's in my lifetime. Only when I was young, and in college, did I modify one of them, a '67 beetle with a sunroof, a selecta-drop, porsche fuchs alloys, and dual webers with a built 1835 in it. I never came close to getting all of my money out of it. Ever since then, every one of my VW's have been left bone stock, I quit building "lookers". I've pretty much always have been able to buy my diesels well. well below MSRP, taken good care of them, maintained them meticulously, and gotten top dollar for them selling used private part when I went looking for something new.

Stock maintains it's value best in german cars, time, and time, and time again. This may not be important to the OP, but, it is important probably to me, and me only. A good wash, clay bar, wax and detail is where I put my time and money in my car, usually in spring every year. That, IMHO, is what looks nice.

I dig it. Never thought of the e-Golf's wheels as being funky or ugly, but they are slight disappointment to what you get on a similarly priced GTI or R.

Personally, I'm actually getting to like the look of the "tuning fork" wheels of the eGolf...

RonDawg said:
Personally, I'm actually getting to like the look of the "tuning fork" wheels of the eGolf...

LOL, that is a great analogy there, Ron! "In Tune With Nature"

JoulesThief said:
RonDawg said:

LOL, that is a great analogy there, Ron! "In Tune With Nature"

Thanks, but I actually stole the term from someone else. I'm not sure if it was here or from VWVortex.

The reason why I used Plastidip was because it's not permanent. When it comes time to turn in the car, just peel the painted areas off and we're back to stock. Plastidip comes in various colors, but all I used was a can of black plastidip spray. I believe I paid $5.95 at my local Lowe's. As far as prep is concerned, just a quick swipe with some alcohol on a rag to remove any brake dust or tire dressing and you're good to go. Five light coats will work just fine.

jdmstuff said:
The reason why I used Plastidip was because it's not permanent. When it comes time to turn in the car, just peel the painted areas off and we're back to stock. Plastidip comes in various colors, but all I used was a can of black plastidip spray. I believe I paid $5.95 at my local Lowe's. As far as prep is concerned, just a quick swipe with some alcohol on a rag to remove any brake dust or tire dressing and you're good to go. Five light coats will work just fine.

Thanks for the how to on detuning your factory wheels. I'm not big on modifying cars you don't hold title to, or have on lease. If you own it, that's another matter.

Back