Ouch!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took a Monday morning stroll past Sunnyvale VW to see what they had as far as inventory, and saw this.

egolfouch.jpg

Sucks that a car less than a year old took an accident, but good to see it absorbed a t-bone collision pretty well with damage only to the doors.

johnnylingo said:
I took a Monday morning stroll past Sunnyvale VW to see what they had as far as inventory, and saw this.

egolfouch.jpg

Sucks that a car less than a year old took an accident, but good to see it absorbed a t-bone collision pretty well with damage only to the doors.

Unless the "B" pillar on that e-Golf is undamaged, it's probably a total.

It looks like they've welded in a new sill plate for the right rear door. That in itself I thought would cause it to become a total loss, but apparently not.

RonDawg said:
It looks like they've welded in a new sill plate for the right rear door. That in itself I thought would cause it to become a total loss, but apparently not.

How that is structurally acceptable on a unibody car is news to me. Would seem weakened due to heat and softness at the welded in points. If that were my car, it would be up for sale as soon as it's fixed and be replaced with a new car.

JoulesThief said:
RonDawg said:

How that is structurally acceptable on a unibody car is news to me. Would seem weakened due to heat and softness at the welded in points. If that were my car, it would be up for sale as soon as it's fixed and be replaced with a new car.

Having had a car that was hit hard and was repaired (with a whole new quarter panel welded in) vs. totaled out, I personally wouldn't want that car back. It was never the same as before the crash. Of course insurance companies won't see it that way. All they care about is what is the cheapest way they can make their insured "whole" again.

RonDawg said:
JoulesThief said:
RonDawg said:

Having had a car that was hit hard and was repaired (with a whole new quarter panel welded in) vs. totaled out, I personally wouldn't want that car back. It was never the same as before the crash. Of course insurance companies won't see it that way. All they care about is what is the cheapest way they can make their insured "whole" again.

Same experience I had with my 1996 passat TDI... never the same. Trunk never latched the same as originally either, despite all the adjustments in the world being attempted. VW's, german cars in general don't take kindly to imprecise, sloppy work done in most body shops. It's like medical work, and putting bandaids on a wound that needs stitches. Inadequate, quality of work performed.

If you think that's bad, years ago I saw in front of a body shop a relatively new Honda Accord (it was the first model year for that body style, so I know it was less than a year old) that looked like it was in a bad rollover accident. The occupant(s) were likely trapped and/or badly injured as the fire department had cut off the roof. I thought for sure it would be a write-off.

Nope. Over the course of several weeks the car 's roof rails were replaced, and its outer panels were removed and replaced with new skins. I couldn't imagine with all the labor involved that it would be cheaper than to simply declare it a total loss and offer the insured another car.

Past Friday I went to recommended body shop here in OC to drop my X5 that been rear ended and damn, how many new BMWs sitting there waiting to be fixed! Bumpers, mirrors etc and they are not even on the road yet.

Things happen, hope those inside were ok.

Back