HOV sticker placement - photos please!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexecar

Hi,

I'm about to get my CA HOV stickers for my e-Golf. I know what the DMV says about sticker placement, but I'm looking for the least ugly, yet still compliant way to put these stickers on the e-Golf bumper. How low can I go here?
Any pictures would be great! Here is a similar thread for Leafs.

Regards,
Alex

This is where mine are, drivers side the same as passenger side, right on the crease! I see most people try to avoid the crease.

12919619_10154106958817156_9008877575972094350_n.jpg

I just sent my application for the HOV stickers and was thinking about the possible damage that it can do to the paint. I've heard about the magnet sheet technique but I'm afraid that they may fall out (due to wind, car wash etc).

Someone at the Tesla forums suggested to use a removable vinyl bumper sticker protector like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/170885158023?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I just ordered them today. I'll show the finished product once I get it installed :D

Mine is pretty much like Verkehr's except the smaller sticker is in the right-hand side of the depression for the license plate.

I put mine on magnetic sign backing so they are normally in the glove compartment. They look bad on a gray car. I usually have no need for them.

GlennD said:
I put mine on magnetic sign backing so they are normally in the glove compartment. They look bad on a gray car. I usually have no need for them.

I hardly ever use mine either. As a result, I've place the smallest one in the license plate tray on the far right side, and that's it, I did not place the other two on the fenders. Even with a white car, I find them offensive, just wish we had Electric vehicle specific license plates instead.

I actually use mine every working day.

Saves about 10 minutes going one way (Not needed for other way)

forbin404 said:

When you are retied the miles do not add up. The only time I ever used the stickers on my Mercedes B was to go around the on ramp line. On the other hand the navigation on my eGolf used the slow 5 freeway. The stickers would certainly have helped.

GlennD said:
forbin404 said:

When you are retied the miles do not add up. The only time I ever used the stickers on my Mercedes B was to go around the on ramp line. On the other hand the navigation on my eGolf used the slow 5 freeway. The stickers would certainly have helped.

Retied? I don't know what that means.

If you mean how much I drive?
For me, it's a 20 mile drive. That normally takes about 30 minutes. In the HOV Lane this takes 17. I do use it to bypass the onramp, but I'm not sure if that is allowed.
That's 10,400 miles a year, and with holidays, I'm pulling in around 9,500
In regards to using the Diamond lane, I've only once seen a cop in the lane (in a year) and all the scofflaws (hehe) see him well before and pull out of the lane before he saw them. He was about to get me but once I passed him, he relaxed the grip on handlebars.

I placed my stickers in the usual spots. I wish I had thought about putting them in less obvious places, but then this is a lease, and WILL go back (I have no intention of buying this car, maybe the 200 mile version)

When I worked at the Long Beach Radio Shop it was 19.6 miles from my house. Since I worked a 9-80 schedule the traffic was light both ways. I never used the car pool lanes even though I had stickers on my Leaf.

In normal hours I could see access to the car pool lanes would be a help.

When I leased my car the dealer had stickers for it. Otherwise I would not have bothered.

forbin404 said:
GlennD said:
forbin404 said:

Retied? I don't know what that means.

If you mean how much I drive?
For me, it's a 20 mile drive. That normally takes about 30 minutes. In the HOV Lane this takes 17. I do use it to bypass the onramp, but I'm not sure if that is allowed.
That's 10,400 miles a year, and with holidays, I'm pulling in around 9,500
In regards to using the Diamond lane, I've only once seen a cop in the lane (in a year) and all the scofflaws (hehe) see him well before and pull out of the lane before he saw them. He was about to get me but once I passed him, he relaxed the grip on handlebars.

I placed my stickers in the usual spots. I wish I had thought about putting them in less obvious places, but then this is a lease, and WILL go back (I have no intention of buying this car, maybe the 200 mile version)

I suggest you put a timer on your car, write down the time you start the car up, and the time you shut the car down in the parking lot at work and vice versa. Do that for a month, for an average, and you'll see there's no way you are doing 20 miles in under 20 minutes, not with surface streets, stop lights and stop signs, with complete stops being made. You'd be lucky to average 43 mph on your infotainment center, per trip to and from work. When it's factored that way, you'll see how little time you really save in the HOV lane, when you measure the true overall length of time of the drive, both ways, HOV and regular.

forbin404 said:
I do use it to bypass the onramp, but I'm not sure if that is allowed.

Yes the stickers allow you to drive solo in the carpool lane of an onramp if there is one.

JoulesThief said:
I suggest you put a timer on your car, write down the time you start the car up, and the time you shut the car down in the parking lot at work and vice versa. Do that for a month, for an average, and you'll see there's no way you are doing 20 miles in under 20 minutes, not with surface streets, stop lights and stop signs, with complete stops being made. You'd be lucky to average 43 mph on your infotainment center, per trip to and from work. When it's factored that way, you'll see how little time you really save in the HOV lane, when you measure the true overall length of time of the drive, both ways, HOV and regular.

How do you know he doesn't speed in the carpool lane? As a Southern Californian you already know that speed limit signs are largely treated as a suggestion. People will drive 80+ on the freeway if traffic allows and they don't think there's a cop around.

I live close enough to work where I don't need to take the freeway (and if I did, the freeway I would use doesn't have an HOV lane anyway) but when I do it's nice to not have to sit in traffic, even if it's for a short distance. The only problem is that many HOV lanes in SoCal are clogged up with EVs and PHEVs and scofflaws so they sometimes don't move any faster than the regular lanes.

RonDawg said:
JoulesThief said:

How do you know he doesn't speed in the carpool lane? As a Southern Californian you already know that speed limit signs are largely treated as a suggestion. People will drive 80+ on the freeway if traffic allows and they don't think there's a cop around.

I live close enough to work where I don't need to take the freeway (and if I did, the freeway I would use doesn't have an HOV lane anyway) but when I do it's nice to not have to sit in traffic, even if it's for a short distance. The only problem is that many HOV lanes in SoCal are clogged up with EVs and PHEVs and scofflaws so they sometimes don't move any faster than the regular lanes.

Did you know that german vehicles are designed such that when cruising, all your gauge needles should be straight up, at the 12:00 position, just as done in aircraft, so that exceeding 12:00 is an instant reminder that all is not well with the whole system? That's 50 mph on the Speedo gauge in an e-Golf. 80mph in an e-golf is not easy on the battery in Southern California.

I don't see it as a "suggestion", I see it as people driving illegally, because the roads were engineered to be safe for all at a stated speed, carefully calculated out to allow for reaction times of the average stupid driver here in So CA. All you are stating is that people justify their actions, legal or illegal, by driving in such a manner. That doesn't make it acceptable or right, if you doubt it, ask a judge, once cited. You forget that driving in not a right, it's a privilege, and that privilege can be revoked, for bad behavior, illegal behavior, being irresponsible, etc.

It's really irrelevant how fast he drives in the HOV lane, surface streets to get to and from the freeway, from work, from home, stop lights, stop signs, pedestrians, etc, all have a way of eating up travel time that can not be replaced, no matter how fast you drive in the HOV lane, for the distance he's driving. You don't even need to put a clock on it, the infotainment center will tell you your average MPH per trip. Surface streets and traffic kill your average trip time, every single time. No different than an airline pilot, sitting on the tarmac, or circling an airport, waiting for permission to take off or land, it's still considered part of the flight time and affects the arrival time.

BTW the 30 miles for 20 mins was only applying to freeway.
I did not factor in the time to get to the freeway and the time to get off the offramp and to the office.

So yes I am saving 13 minutes driving in the carpool lane, especially today! (Rain added another 10 minutes)

Though I did lose some hair today when some dumbass jumped into the lane (With only a driver) in a no cross area and didn't even look to see that I almost slammed into him.

JoulesThief said:
Did you know that german vehicles are designed such that when cruising, all your gauge needles should be straight up, at the 12:00 position, just as done in aircraft, so that exceeding 12:00 is an instant reminder that all is not well with the whole system?

You've completely pulled that one out of thin air.

I don't see it as a "suggestion", I see it as people driving illegally, because the roads were engineered to be safe for all at a stated speed, carefully calculated out to allow for reaction times of the average stupid driver here in So CA. All you are stating is that people justify their actions, legal or illegal, by driving in such a manner. That doesn't make it acceptable or right, if you doubt it, ask a judge, once cited. You forget that driving in not a right, it's a privilege, and that privilege can be revoked, for bad behavior, illegal behavior, being irresponsible, etc.

I never said it was legal, or acceptable. I am saying that in Southern California, it's reality.

It's really irrelevant how fast he drives in the HOV lane, surface streets to get to and from the freeway, from work, from home, stop lights, stop signs, pedestrians, etc, all have a way of eating up travel time that can not be replaced, no matter how fast you drive in the HOV lane, for the distance he's driving. You don't even need to put a clock on it, the infotainment center will tell you your average MPH per trip. Surface streets and traffic kill your average trip time, every single time. No different than an airline pilot, sitting on the tarmac, or circling an airport, waiting for permission to take off or land, it's still considered part of the flight time and affects the arrival time.

He's still saving 13 minutes on his commute. Whether you think it's worth it or not is your prerogative. Disagreeing with you on that is his (and mine).

But... But... Where are the photos though? :D

Still waiting for mine. Although I may end up stashing the decals for now. If anything, maybe just sticking the small decal next to the plate will suffice.

Current work travel is from the Valley to Beverly Hills. The crazy thing is, It will actually take me longer if I was to take the freeway vs back roads/canyon roads during rush hour. Socal traffic is pretty rediculous!

MervinsOnlineID said:
But... But... Where are the photos though? :D

Still waiting for mine. Although I may end up stashing the decals for now. If anything, maybe just sticking the small decal next to the plate will suffice.

Current work travel is from the Valley to Beverly Hills. The crazy thing is, It will actually take me longer if I was to take the freeway vs back roads/canyon roads during rush hour. Socal traffic is pretty rediculous!

I pray for you... the drive from the North Valley on the San Diego (er... the 405 for locals only) is a perpetual fustercluck! Rare is it that the HOV lane is any better than any of the other lanes.

Finally received my HOV decal yesterday. Sent the application early Feb so it took almost a month. I used a bumper sticker protector so I can easily remove or reposition when needed. I decided to tuck the big decals just like Verkehr. I placed the smaller one right next to the license plate.

The bumper sticker protector cost $6 shipped. Fits all 3 decals. Here is the link if you guys are interested http://www.ebay.com/itm/170885158023?_t

myegolf.jpg

Back