What you do when you run out of juice on your egolf.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't know if they ran out of electricity first, or not. Only says they are on remote location, and running generator so they can, presumably, get back to a charging port that's not at 1.2kw per hour charge rate that the battery takes. That's adding 5 miles in a hour, if you get 4 miles per kwh. A Honda Eu2000i holds about 1.1 gallons of regular. At 1.4kw/hr, it should run about 5 hours on a full tank of gas in eco mode. While this is possible, I doubt that the individual wants to make a habit of this, if it can be avoided at all. Hopefully it's an very infrequent occurrence. But I understand, when you need to recharge some, you need to recharge some. I'd do the same thing if the circumstances required it. However, it's far more likely I'd just take my Passat TDI or Touareg TDI instead, and not fiddle with generators and plugging in, if it required those kinds of driving distances.

I clearly understand what was done here... the person drove their e-Golf out to the set location, and bummed a Honda EU2000i generator off of one of the subcontractors that does power supply on set location, usually for lighting, dollies, etc, what ever needs electricity on the set location. The e-Golf person got a free minor recharge, and gave the generator back, sans gas, at the end of the shoot. Look at the video and you can see the name of the power company painted on the side of the EU2000i. Chase Car Inc.

Another clue that it wasn't the e-Golf owner that owned that generator.... I own a pair of Eu2000i's that go with my travel trailer when camping. I've done what this person is doing, and you start recharging in regular mode on the e-Golf, then switch the Generator to Eco mode, to save fuel and run more efficiently. That generator is running full speed,5000- 5250 rpm and not in eco mode, which I personally know, is pretty darn close to 4100 rpms. So this is a borrowed generator, running out at full tilt boogy, it could be running a fair bit slower and quieter, at about 70w-75% to get the 1.4kw out of the generator and in to the car. A reasonable person that owned the generator would run it in Eco Mode, someone that borrows it doesn't care, they start it, get it to start charging, make sure it's charging, and never change into eco mode settings on the Honda generator.

Back