eGolf SEL dropped with Coilovers and 20"s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamkaz

Got the coilovers from ECS: https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VII--e_Golf/Suspension/Coilovers/ES3096372/. They are OK, not great. It was really hard trying to get them level and I still have some work to do. I'm afraid if I can't get them level I'll have to rip them out and go with another set.

Before:
IMG_5441.jpg

After:
IMG_5479.jpg

IMG_5485.jpg

IMG_5482.jpg

It's not that bad. The front is not too low so I'm not worried. I have to roll the fenders in the front, the backs are at no risk. Also have to get a corner balance and an alignment. By the looks of it the wheels run no risk of impacting the fenders :)

Today was the first day taking it out and it got a ton of attention.

Obligatory question: how much of a range hit did you suffer by switching to those tires?

Don't know. I got the car and did the work. I did not have enough time with the car to figure out how much range I was getting for my driving habits.

I can tell you it takes longer to get to work now because I'm getting strange ass the whole commute.

kamkaz said:
Don't know. I got the car and did the work. I did not have enough time with the car to figure out how much range I was getting for my driving habits.

I can tell you it takes longer to get to work now because I'm getting strange ass the whole commute.
You can easily tell using the Car->Since Start KWH meter.
If you are getting less than 3.0 then you know that setup is doing harm.

kamkaz said:
Over the last couple of days it's been around 3.6-3.8 .
That's usually the rate if you do a lot of freeway driving. If you are mostly roads, well then that is low.

That is very low. I think the worst I have ever seen over a charge is ~4+ miles / kWh in the winter with lots of heat and snow and ice, etc.

Yeah I was doing 70+ mph on the freeway.

I don't really care. My commute is 40 miles roundtrip and I charge everyday at work.

kamkaz said:
Yeah I was doing 70+ mph on the freeway.

I don't really care. My commute is 40 miles roundtrip and I charge everyday at work.

VW will care, and your battery will care. It will lose range more quickly due to deeper recharges every cycle, vs with factory rims and tires, which are low rolling resistance. You may have even voided your warranty with those rims and tires, since the battery is so expensive and life of it is critical to have low rolling resistance tires and rims. it's very expensive to replace that battery, why wear it down unneccesarily with undue load on the battery and motor, to make a fashion statement.

So I wanted to loop back regarding my ECS Coilovers - Fixed Damping
Mfg Part # 018801ECS01A
ECS Part # ES#3096372

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/coilovers-fixed-damping/018801ecs01a/

This product is not ready for eGolfs. They have not taken the battery weight into consideration therefore the spring rate is wrong. The springs coils knock into each other and makes a terrible sound. It drives like crap. On top of it all this is way too low for any car. I have the coil over turned up all the way and it's still tucked. It's embarrassing to have a new car that drives and sounds like a salvaged car. It's ruined my new car. ECS only offered to take it back. $800 to install, $800 to uninstall and $800 to install another set and then align again. Don't do it. Get something better from someone else. This is not a finished product.

While mods like what you did often look great, the car manufacturers really do take the time to make sure the car is not only safe, but liveable as well. I also am on VWVortex and on those forums I see folks who are planning to do all sorts of visual, lighting, suspension, and performance modifications to their cars, some of them BRAND NEW.

These upgrades provide performance enhancements on some levels, but also seem to make other aspects worse. For example, your lowered ride height looks awesome and perhaps improves handling through a lower center of gravity, but also makes the car hard to live with on a daily basis as you have to slow down for just about every speed bump and you have to negotiate driveways at strange angles, pissing off people behind you trying to get out of the way of oncoming traffic.

Not necessarily limited to VW's, but I see lighting "upgrades" that sometimes are worse than the OEM ones. The biggest ones are tinted taillights and sometimes even headlights: WHY? You've just made your car harder to see at night/poor visibility conditions by other drivers. Same goes with limo-black tint on the windows; good luck trying to back up at night unless you have a rear camera, which is not always a good substitute for turning your head around and looking for yourself.

At least ECS was willing to take them back, and you only made a $2400 mistake rather than a $2900 one.

kamkaz said:
So I wanted to loop back regarding my ECS Coilovers - Fixed Damping
Mfg Part # 018801ECS01A
ECS Part # ES#3096372

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/coilovers-fixed-damping/018801ecs01a/

This product is not ready for eGolfs. They have not taken the battery weight into consideration therefore the spring rate is wrong. The springs coils knock into each other and makes a terrible sound. It drives like crap. On top of it all this is way too low for any car. I have the coil over turned up all the way and it's still tucked. It's embarrassing to have a new car that drives and sounds like a salvaged car. It's ruined my new car. ECS only offered to take it back. $800 to install, $800 to uninstall and $800 to install another set and then align again. Don't do it. Get something better from someone else. This is not a finished product.

It didn't ruin your car... you did, by wanting to modify it. Man up and own it. Few take the time to see and understand how integrated and balanced every little component is on a german engineered car. Hence the suggestion to just leave them and drive them box stock, so everything on the car works as it was designed to, all together.

How did this become a thread where all of you start lecturing me? *This is not my first rodeo* I've done this all my life with all my cars.

I'm sharing my pictures and experiences as the topic suggests. But you squares seem to want to deter people from wanting to do that if you don't agree with the upgrade choices.

kamkaz said:
How did this become a thread where all of you start lecturing me? *This is not my first rodeo* I've done this all my life with all my cars.

I'm sharing my pictures and experiences as the topic suggests. But you squares seem to want to deter people from wanting to do that if you don't agree with the upgrade choices.

VW Vortex is a great spot for you to go experiment. Doesn't seem like anyone here cares for your modifications? Did you even look around here first before posting up your pictures? I doubt it, because around here, people focus on the electric motivation part, not modifications to an already very good electric car. How about you go do some mods on Nissan Leaf too, and or a MB Electric B250, or a Tesla?

I'm perfectly happy to watch you do mods, post up pictures of how it's taking you longer to get to work, admit that you screwed the car up with the mods, then whine about how much it costs to put it back to the way it was, and all the money you lost. If you bought it, it's your car, and yours to do what ever you want to with it. Including finding out you screwed it up, and threw away a bunch of money. That's what I learned from your thread and pictures. Thanks for being the guinea pig. You saved us all a bunch of money.

When you look at a car as a form of transportation instead of as a status symbol of what you own as a conspicuous consumer, you tend to see things for what they are, not what they seem to be.

To the OP, the car looks pretty cool. I love the color, I don't think I've seen that color on an e-golf in person.

I have to agree though, that drop is way too low. Have you thought about lowering it with some Eibach springs? Or does Eibach, or any other manufacturer, even make springs for the e-golf?

I doubt any manufacturer is going to have the correct spring rate for our cars. If there was a convertible version of the Golf then we might have a chance (because the weight difference between convertible vs saloon and battery vs salon would be similar), but since there are only likely to be triple digit customers at most the manufacturers aren't going to be investing in tooling/testing for them.

Back