Car-Net app updated (iOS version)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PacBlue said:
The iOS app version in actuality has never worked right for me since I had them transfer it to me from the first owner (he happened to have the same first name) back on 1/2/17 a few days after I bought it used (the day is easy to remember because trying to change the charge start time never updates from 1/2/17) -- they're still working on a longer term fix as they tell me that it STILL has problems freezing or locking for a number of owners. In my case, even the web version can't connect remotely with the car -- about the only thing it will do (eventually) is show the miles left range and actual mileage of the car; this shows me that somehow it connects with the car. The latest is that I should expect a call back next Tuesday (1/31) with an update -- I can live without this app I suppose but would be nice to set the charging to less than 100% as well as the HVAC pre-conditioning which isn't currently possible. Have now racked up a bit over 1K miles and have been quite happy with the car other than this app.

As others have mentioned as well, VWOA Customer Care is now responsible for the Car-Net app tech side so let's see if they can get it working -- they have really long support cal-in wait times due to the whole dieselgate claims processing but would assume this team shouldn't have that on their plate; will update if they fix it.

UPDATE: it seems that whatever they were working on has now fixed it!! Both the web site and the iOS mobile app is now working for me; I was able to put in a timed departure charge at 90% and the first thing I noticed when plugging it in last night was the 'timed' icon light showing up; this morning, I see a timed count down when I log in to when I set it -- will later try a remote pre-heat session. I did nothing new (no 12V battery connect, etc.) so this was all VWOA working on it --- hopefully others will see theirs working as well. My VWOA contact mentioned she would follow up with a call to me today so perhaps they had planned this for yesterday.

eGolf2015 said:
I've been going back and forth with Car-Net and VW since the app update last week, first about login issues and then about the "Remote" features being taken away. Every rep I've spoken with has told me something slightly different. Currently, Car-Net is saying that I am supposed to have 3 complimentary years of the charging features as well as the "Remote" features, but not crash notification, emergency assistance, vehicle recovery and roadside assistance. VW is currently saying I am only supposed to have the charging features and nothing else as part of the 3-year complimentary service.

Regardless, both are contradicting what (a) the dealer told me when I purchased the car, (b) what Car-Net confirmed via email shortly after I purchased the car, and (c) what Car-Net confirmed verbally when I called them after receiving the "your trial subscription is ending" notices about 6 months after purchasing the car.

Here's the email they sent me about 3-4 weeks after I purchased the car:

"Thank you for choosing our Car-Net service for your 2015 VW e-GOLF COMFO 85 E1F with the Vehicle Identification Number of XXXXXXXXXXXXX.

You are currently enrolled in a 3 year EV complimentary service. Your subscription effective dates are 12/08/2014 – 12/08/2017.

Your account number: XXXXXXXXX

Your activation provides you access to several Safety & Security and Convenience features such as:

• Automatic Crash Notification
• Manual Emergency Call Assistance
• Stolen Vehicle Recovery/ Vehicle Tracking
• Remote Door Unlock
• Roadside Assistance
• And more

If you have any questions, please contact us at 877-820-2290.

Again, thank you for choosing Car-Net services. We look forward to providing you with an exceptional customer experience.

Sincerely,
VW Car-Net Response Center"

If it wasn't so frustrating, it might almost be amusing listening to them try to spin how that email was either "just a standard template" (Car-Net) or simply highlighting "some of the features included in the 6-month trial subscription" (VW) - despite the fact that the only subscription ever mentioned is 3 years.

Did any other 2015/2016 owners receive a similar email about 3-4 weeks after purchasing your car?
I don't have that exact email with all of the features listed, but I do have the three year mention. I did, however, receive an email about 6 months in saying that my sub was going to expire. I don't think I even paid attention to it, since I probably reasoned at the time it was an error. I'm just going to reiterate that this whole carnet is seriously agitating me.

It's almost useless for a 2016 owner and flat out problematic for a 2015 owner if they can't change their charge times without a subscription.

Yes, VW fixed the Car-Net iOS app, and now it is showing the eGolf picture instead of the Beattle!

However, the whole service is down for better part of the day already!

Can we trust VW to be a software company, which is what future cars are all about!

I just opened the app, it showed the Beetle, then I opened the e-Manager and it says "e-manager: The license has expired. Please log in to the VW Car-Net portal for more information. Please log in again to apply the changes." So, basically, the app doesn't do anything any more because both the Remote page and the e-Manager page both show expired. If it's not working tomorrow, I'm calling VW to complain.

My wife took it to work yesterday so didn't check the app (she only has a 7-mile R/T commute) -- seems to be working OK for me this morning, all functions working normally (and she remembered to lock the car!) -- perhaps just a glitch yesterday?

VW Support confirmed yesterday via twitter that the service was down. Looks like everything is up and running again today.

miimura said:
I just opened the app, it showed the Beetle, then I opened the e-Manager and it says "e-manager: The license has expired. Please log in to the VW Car-Net portal for more information. Please log in again to apply the changes." So, basically, the app doesn't do anything any more because both the Remote page and the e-Manager page both show expired. If it's not working tomorrow, I'm calling VW to complain.

let us know how that turns out. It was supposed to be for 3 years, free.

JoulesThief said:
miimura said:

It was working this morning, but now it's broken again. Same as above.

miimura said:
JoulesThief said:
miimura said:

It was working this morning, but now it's broken again. Same as above.

I feel your frustration. This is totally unacceptable, to have a defective app control charging, instead of in the infotainment center, for TOC and % of charge you'd like topped off.

The whole service has been unstable for the past couple of weeks.

AND why did they disable remote control of locking/unlock from the mobile app but kept it on the web portal?!

Back