Cracked windshield

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GadgetGav

A friend who rode as a passenger the other day pointed out to me that I've got a crack in my windshield. From the driver's seat it's mostly obscured by the interior mirror so I don't know when it happened. It's pothole season around here, so it could easily have been from debris thrown up, but I didn't see an obvious impact hole anywhere along the crack.

I thought I'd post here and see if anyone else had had a crack yet and if so, what your experience of replacing it was. I wonder if I should / have to go back to the dealer. Is the heated screen an option on the ICE Golf in this generation? Will third party companies even have it?

All e-Golf's have the heated windshield, I think; so you will have to go to them to have it replaced.

You bring up a very interesting problem here that I hadn't considered before. Luckily I no longer live in an area that is very prone to windshield cracks, but I do wonder how this changes a routine windshield repair/replacement. I wonder if the insurers have any exclusions in place for coverage of windshields that are more than just glass!

I also have a crack in the windshield. I visited the dealership yesterday, and it doesn't appear they will cover it under warranty. They implied that any cracks should have occurred shortly after taking possession of the vehicle. However, if I wanted, I could take it to the service manager who would make a determination on whether to call out the regional VW rep who would make a determination for warranty coverage on a case-by-case basis.

I decided not to hassle with this and jus deal with my insurance company. Supposedly, a new windshield will be ordered and installed instead of having the crack filled. The windshield from the VW dealership was on backorder, and the cost wasn't as high as I thought (~$450) but I'm sure labor would be pricey.

I wasn't expecting VW to cover it under warranty, although maybe if it's happening a lot it is a sign of a problem. That happened with early MINIs in the USA.
I was just thinking that third party installers might not have it yet if it's different from other current Golfs. If it's back ordered at VW maybe that's a sign of low availability everywhere or maybe just that the dealers don't typically install many windshields.

I'm sure it's covered on my insurance policy, I just need to find out who has the part and the skills to fit it.

Well, the crack crept from behind the mirror into my field of view, so I called to get it replaced.
Firstly, most glass replacement places don't seem to know about the e-golf and don't have it as a heated screen.
I went with Satellite who based the replacement on the VIN so they did realize what I needed - the downside is that there are apparently only 3 of the right pieces of glass in the country and it'll take 7 days to get to MA.
I'll update further when they say it's in stock locally. At least it's all covered on my insurance with no out of pocket cost.

The cracked windshield was replaced today. An easy and professional operation by Safelite who came to my workplace and did the replacement in the parking lot. It was fully covered by my insurance with no deductable but the technician did leave me a receipt which listed the price of the glass as $454.68 if anyone is interested who doesn't have glass coverage. With labor and taxes the total was just over $600.

I noticed we do, indeed, have a defrost vent below the Windshield. Did anyone consider replacing the OEM windshield (if it cracks) with a regular VW Golf windshield (without the coils - they kind of annoy me when my catches focus on them)..?

My e-Golf windshield just got cracked in a hail storm and I am considering replacing it with glass that does not contain the coils to potentially save money. Has anyone done this yet? I know SpdLmtNA mentioned he was thinking of the same option. Thanks!

Back