Traction in Snow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

royal52

Hello Folks,

Seriously considering getting an E-Golf here in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

My main concern deals with winter driving. I've read lots of info but most deals with batter life in winter conditions.

I'm more concerned with traction in snow. Obviously I would get winter tires, but have some concern that the high amount of low end torque may not make for great traction on snow covered roads when it comes to taking off from a stand still or pulling out of an outdoor parking space during snowfall after having been parked for a few hours.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Electric cars have better traction control than ICE cars, so you will be fine, with good winter tires.

NeilBlanchard said:
Electric cars have better traction control than ICE cars, so you will be fine, with good winter tires.

Thanks.

That's a pretty general statement.

Have you driven one of the new E-Golfs on a regular basis in the snow?

I'm sure they don't have better traction than Subaru's with AWD?

Are you saying that the VW E-Golf has better traction that any other FWD ICE compact car given each have the same winter tire on?

NeilBlanchard said:

We have studded General Altimax Arctic on ours. No issues getting around here in the White Mts of NH. I just put them on again yesterday as we're expecting plowable snow tomorrow night.

Agreed with all, generally FWD handles well in snow, as long as you have a good set of snow tires on the vehicle. Combined this with the extra weight/low centre of gravity of the E-Golf/Leaf 2.0/Ioniq/Bolt as examples, will have no problem in medium snow conditions.

The i3 is RWD so that will take a bit more finesse in winter, however will still handle very well. AWD is really not needed IMO unless your driving habits/areas take you to tier 2 roads or country gravel roads that don't get plowed right away and you need to traverse them on a regular basis. Then I can see the argument for AWD. I've had FWD ICE cars for 30 years and have never got stuck in winter snow once. I regularly drive country roads in SWO and don't have any issues. Need to know your driving limits however.

NeilBlanchard said:

went from a 2.5 / 5 speed Jetta to the eGolf - both had / have winter tires - too much GO pedal makes the tires spin in snow for any vehicle - true the power / torque is instant but traction control and a bit less aggression and it all balances out. the Mrs has not indicated any problems as she is the primary driver for work commutes - live 1hr north of Toronto in snow belt .. never a starting problem on real cold mornings ;-) but regen takes a bit of warming up for it to function I have noticedin the cold - a good 15 minute drive before it operates as it does in summer - her drive is 5 k one way so she is not too concerned with reduced range and a full charge is about $4 off peak with home Flo unit - happy saving $ and air quality

FWD with winter tires is better than AWD with all season tires. Going forward is only one aspect, though - turning and braking are more important, if anything.

For me, an electric car with winter tires gives the right balance of traction performance. AWD would help climb hills, but it also might get one overconfident - and get into trouble. I have seen several vehicles skidded off the road, or into the bushes, or into the ditch - and almost always they are AWD / 4WD.

Back