eGolf Trip Santa Monica to Horse Flats Campgrounds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoey327

Just wanted to share a trip I did over the weekend with my 2016 eGolf to Horse Flats Campground (https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/angeles/recarea/?recid=41692).
5000 ft elevation climb.
56 min (36.2 mi) via CA-2 E (pasadena to camp site)
2 people, camping gear and food/water (~80-100lbs)

Started in Santa Monica with a full charge, got to Pasadena and used the quick charger at the Metro Station. (109mi available (full tank))

Headed up the 210 to Flintridge and up the 2 to Horse Flats. I went slow (30-40mph) through most of it because I was scared of getting stuck, so I had my eye on the range at all times.

By the time I got to the camp site I had 22mi available (1/3 tank). The next day I again took it slow but I quickly started getting back my miles. The eGolf did dip to 19mi within the first couple miles but after that it was pretty much all downhill from the campsite. At the bottom of the hill in Flintridge, I ended up with 42mi (1/3 tank) on the car.

Wow you're pretty brave to attempt going so far off the beaten path in a sub-100 mile (per the EPA) EV! I've only dared taken my car as far as Mt. Wilson.

That is very impressive and encouraging, thank you for sharing.

Not sure I would be very comfortable on the 210 doing 30-40 unless it was congested but you made it work.

The 5000 ft climb is really impressive. When we drive over the hill from Santa Cruz to San Jose area that hill takes a lot of juice and the summit is only a little over 1800 ft (~50mph speed limit but most are 10 over, we stay in the right lane).

I'm trying to understand the details of the trip down the hill: You drove down 5000 ft but saw no increase in state of charge? I know the GOM changed, but even so, going from 19 miles to 42 when dropping 5000ft doesn't seem right. I've driven down 3000 ft and saw a gain of about 15-20% state of charge.

Thanks!

msvphoto said:
Not sure I would be very comfortable on the 210 doing 30-40 unless it was congested but you made it work.

I think the OP meant doing 30-40 on Angeles Crest but even then that's brave. Posted speed limit from La Canada to Angeles Forest Highway is 45 MPH but is routinely ignored especially by motorcyclists. That portion is a commuter route for Antelope Valley residents trying to get to/from the LA basin.

RonDawg said:
msvphoto said:

I think the OP meant doing 30-40 on Angeles Crest but even then that's brave. Posted speed limit from La Canada to Angeles Forest Highway is 45 MPH but is routinely ignored especially by motorcyclists. That portion is a commuter route for Antelope Valley residents trying to get to/from the LA basin.

And they routinely drive 15 + over the speed limit, daily, doing it.

Back