Bolt vs Golf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nerk

Has anyone found a useful review comparison between the two...

Next Friday I have an appointment to test drive a bolt premiere and the e-golf with DAP (i've already driven one without it) in the GTA...

Right now things aren't looking too good for the Bolt as the MRSP with options is $53k while the e-golf with DAP MSRP is $43k MSRP... They listed the Bolts residual lease values as well, and they are not that great either... ~30% (~$17k) on 3yr lease and ~25% (~$14k) on a 4yr lease. Almost better off to buy at that point...

Also, I believe the bolt doesn't have adaptive cruise control, which is one of the features I'd most likely be using the most often on the DAP package...

So other than range... and being able to drive one off the lot and stop playing this waiting game...

Why would one buy a bolt over a golf? or even a 2018 leaf for that matter?...

I've driven a Bolt. Besides the range, the Bolt is also more powerful and peppy to drive around town and on the freeway. If you buy the vehicle, one could argue that the Bolt has superior battery cooling for battery life and its larger battery capacity means that there will be fewer full charge/discharge cycles and it's easier to keep the batteries in the "sweet spot" for longevity, but long term reliability of both these vehicles has yet to be proven.

That said, the Bolt is clearly inferior to the E-Golf when it comes to interior quality, fit and finish, seat comfort, and overall balance in ride comfort and handling.

I test drove a Bolt the other day, and it feels like a $12 or $13,000 cheaply made Chevrolet gas car, compared to my 2015 e-Golf SEL. The interior just doesn't feel anywhere near as nice as my e-Golf. It definitely drives more "touchy" in high cross winds also, Santa Ana Winds, ( and all the fires going on here around Los Angeles for 2 weeks now) and feels top heavy, sensitive to gusts of wind. I like the range, but the rest of the package just feels super cheap to me.

I can't speak for the Bolt, but in August had a 2016 SEL shipped from CA to VA. I have been impressed with the solid doors, quiet cabin, and amazing technology, both inside and out. Fit & finish are everything I would expect from German engineering; every door has a good "thunk" and at speed the car features tight maneuvering. The audio system is fantastic "stock" and driver assist has helped on at least one occasion where I was closing quickly on the car ahead of me (albeit ~15 mph closing speed). The dashboard alert let me know in a hurry with audio, visual and an automatic light tap on the brakes. Fender-bender avoided!! Range isn't much of a problem, I have a 40-mile round trip commute, flat most of the way. I will look forward to longer range in the future, but the VW body and tech details are second to none.

Except the good issue of longer range, even if the Bolt sale price same as Golf, I still buy the Germany car.
My family owned 2 US cars ( 1 used, 1 new), and after that, 12 Germany car (1/4 new ), now it come to the time for EV car, we tested drive Bolt, Volt, Ford EV... then patiently wait 6 months for the Golf, rather than others.
For the longer range, do you know that Ontario & Alberta will join venture to pay $17 million to install 34 Fast charge station every 100 km on 401 from Ontario to Alberta?, so I do not worry about Egolf range 200km.

I sat in a Bolt at the LA Auto Show and I have to agree with the interior materials quality being on the cheap-feeling side. Also, if you're not a slender person, there are reports that the seat bottoms are VERY uncomfortable. I only sat in one for a few minutes and the seat bolstering felt like it was poking me in the thigh. On a different forum someone posted that on the driver's side it felt like a bolt was poking through (I didn't notice but then again I sat on the passenger side).

Quality = eGolf
Range and performance = Bolt

it's that simple!

Yes, i drove both and have been reading extensive reviews. If you're ok with spending $46K on a DAP eGolf, that's near the price of a bolt. So if you throw out the price argument, the eGolf is better quality, handling, comfort etc. The Bolt has more power and range.

I dismissed the bolt for one reason: The hideous seats! With my body figure, I just can't see myself driving 100 km/day in those things! So uncomfortable!

I'll be picking up my fully loaded Bolt next week to replace my 2015 SEL. The interior of the SEL is definitely nicer, but the BOLT's interior isn't really that bad. The one major drawback to the e-Golf has been the range anxiety that I've had with it. Granted the newer model has a greater range, it is still far far less than the Bolt...and that outweighs the interior quality of the e-Golf in my estimation. My monthly payments for a 3-year lease are virtually the same for the Bolt as it was on my 2015 e-Golf, so price never entered the equation. Having a 238 mile range for the next three years of my lease will be so pleasant and I'm sure my blood pressure will be lower!

Zeuser said:
I dismissed the bolt for one reason: The hideous seats! With my body figure, I just can't see myself driving 100 km/day in those things! So uncomfortable!

I've read many negative reviews about those seats... Apparently the cloth ones aren't as bad... I'm a 36" waist... So hopefully its not an issue for me, but I guess we'll see when I go to test drive... Also read people putting in aftermarket foams in the seat to give a little more cushion so your thighs don't dig into the plastic trim...

The issue I'm having now is that the only Bolts available are premiere editions, which have leather... :( also the heftier price tag... going from $43k to $46k is reasonable, but now we're talking $43k to $53k...

the dealership would really have to cut me a deal to make me switch...

I have driven an e-Golf for almost 3 years, and we bought a Bolt EV in September.

The Bolt is better in most ways, and larger, and better power, and obviously has about 3X the range.

The things I like better on the e-Golf are, first and foremost - coasting in D by default, and adaptive creep. The ride and handling of the e-Golf is significant. The LED headlights on our SEL are top notch. The seat heaters are much more powerful (but it only has 'em on the front seats). The brakes are better - more powerful and no discernible transition from regen to friction brakes. The stereo sounds better. The direct heating windshield defroster is unique on modern cars; if not a bit weak.

The Bolt EV fits my family even better than the e-Golf (and MUCH better than the LEAF, which we also had for 3 years). The Bolt EV also has much better entry and exit ease, and seating position is much better for outward visibility. It has a much better touch screen, and better EV information. It has a better location of the charge port (the LEAF has the best location). The backup camera, and bird's eye cameras are very practical on the Bolt EV. The Premier has roof rails, which we will probably use, and you can bolt on a good hitch, making it even more practical.

I do like the rack... I'll need it for sure...

1923985_36682166342_2996_n.jpg

So my trip to Toronto proved unsuccessful,

The Bolt I was to test drive sold before I got there... and wasn't able to really use the DAP features on e-golf as they were mostly for highway use, and being in the GTA area proved useless...

I guess I'll just have to wait for the NAIAS and go look at it in Detroit...

I would have to agree with all the posts here. It's hard to directly compare both of these since they are different in the fact of higher price and higher battery range.

I would test drive both then map your findings into your budget and driving needs. I find that 90% of my driving is within say the limit of a fully charged E-Golf. Since I would charge at home every night, I'd have a full charge every day to start with.

So is the extra 10% use needs in my case worth the higher price of the Bolt? For me, the answer is no. I can take our ICE car on the days when I need to travel beyond the practical E-Golf (or Bolt for that matter) ranges. However, I'd still be Zero Emissions for 90% of the time.

I've been really hard at work comparing pricing/features/benefits of all the mid-upper BEV's (Model 3, Bolt, Leaf 2.0 and E-Golf) and they all have strong differentiators and positives/negatives. You will need to find what works for you and not what others tell you you should buy or not buy. It's a very personal decision and doing your homework will help to make the right decision. But you gotta test drive as that is imperative. Don't forget if any other drivers in your "family" will drive it, then they need to be part of the equation. In my case, my wife and daughter have to be able to drive the vehicle comfortably and safely or no matter what the features/pricing, makes no difference.

Hope this advise helps.

I had a 2015 SEL for three years. Just turned it in for a new Bolt. First and foremost, the range is so much better. Zero range anxiety and knowing I can travel 200+ miles on one charge is so liberating. I would agree that the interior finishing of the Golf is nicer and I prefer the feel of a German car over GM, but the whole point of me having a car is going from point A to point B and on that, Bolt easily crushes the EGolf. Also, on a daily basis I wanted to smash the Golf terrible head unit. It never got my vocal commands right so that was infuriating. Navigation was crap. Having to turn off the AC every time I got in never failed to piss me off. Most importantly, VW’s total contemp for their customers and the environment is a big problem. The company culture seems to be “blame the owners” with zero ownership of anything. Not at all happy with that.

I got the cloth seats heated, DCFC, costs me $30 more a month on the lease and I personally have no issues with seat comfort. Sight lines are better higher up. Overall, IMO the three most important features are range, range and range.

Not gonna miss the Golf or VW.

eGolfeGirl said:
I had a 2015 SEL for three years. Just turned it in for a new Bolt. First and foremost, the range is so much better. Zero range anxiety and knowing I can travel 200+ miles on one charge is so liberating. I would agree that the interior finishing of the Golf is nicer and I prefer the feel of a German car over GM, but the whole point of me having a car is going from point A to point B and on that, Bolt easily crushes the EGolf. Also, on a daily basis I wanted to smash the Golf terrible head unit. It never got my vocal commands right so that was infuriating. Navigation was crap. Having to turn off the AC every time I got in never failed to piss me off. Most importantly, VW’s total contemp for their customers and the environment is a big problem. The company culture seems to be “blame the owners” with zero ownership of anything. Not at all happy with that.

I got the cloth seats heated, DCFC, costs me $30 more a month on the lease and I personally have no issues with seat comfort. Sight lines are better higher up. Overall, IMO the three most important features are range, range and range.

Not gonna miss the Golf or VW.

I have a 2015 e-Golf SEL for driving in the city. I recently bought a fully loaded 2015 Passat TDI SEL for $16,500 with 25,700 miles on it, in Dallas TX. Leather interior, HomeLink, fog lights, Nav, etc. Loaded. I've owned VW product my whole life, and I've never had anywhere near the level of problems in any of my VW's that you've had with your e-Golf. Nor have I had any non manageable problems with my 2015 e-Golf SEL in 15,300 miles. I never have range anxiety in the Passat TDI. 800 + miles between fillups.

Might sell the 2015 SEL e-Golf and wait a few years to pick up a used 2017 or 2018 SEL.

I am not the dedicated VW customer as JT is, since the eGolf is the first actual VW badged car I have ever owned. But, I have owned well over 60 cars and trucks in my lifetime and 13 of those have been Audis since 1988. The difference between 84 mile (or whatever the 2015 e-Golf is) range and 200 mile range doesn't mean all that much to me since the eGolf is my wife's daily (she drives many more miles per day than I do) and "our" weekend car. I think around 60-80% of our total combined family miles now fall on the eGolf and I can't imagine _only_ a 200 mile range changing that.

200 mile range is not enough to sell my current daily driver/road trip ICE car (a BMW 540iT wagon) because 200 mile range is still unrealistic to me for road trips. An 85kwh Tesla barely would suffice (and honestly maybe wouldn't when I see what kind of miles/kwh they get doing ~80mph with AC or heat running). I am a devout "car guy" who has owned mostly Audis, BMWs, and Porsches my whole life (with a smattering of Volvos and Fiats thrown in as well as several pickup trucks). When it comes to domestic I am a "Ford Guy" and despise GM. That said, we thought we were going to buy a used Volt when we bought the eGolf. That was right up until we drove it, after test driving the eGolf (smart move on that sales woman's part). The Volt drove like a crapbox rental car, the ICE engine sounded like a lawn mower, and fit and finish mostly was terrible. I realize the "New GM" is much improved, and there is some very good engineering going into both the Volt and the Bolt, but I can't go there because neither is a car I could be happy with.

Our 3 year old 2015 eGolf SEL is a vastly superior car to a Bolt in every way that is important to us.

For people that can only afford to own one car, a 200 mile car vs. an 85 mile car makes a huge difference. Same with someone for whom an 85 mile range is cutting it a bit too close for their normal needs. But for someone like me who can afford to have an ICEV backup, and whose daily range needs fall well within those parameters, I'd much prefer the Golf's shorter range over the Bolt's plasticky interior and uncomfortable seats.

July will be 3 years with my car and yet I haven't hit 20k miles, so a longer range EV will only be of limited additional usefulness to me. If a situation comes up where I only need to QC once, I'll take the eGolf, otherwise it's the Alltrack.

Unless one really need more than 125 miles/200 km DAILY drive and also want Electric car, otherwise 200 miles or more is waste money.
From 125 miles to 200 miles , you spend about $ 6-10 thousand more for the extended battery which you don't use ( in every day), just for sometime ( monthly or couple months ?), or just " peace of mine for millage" , and by the end of the car life ( say 8-10 years own or 3-4 years leased), the battery also dies with the car, even you don't use it.
So if you don't really need more than 125 miles for DAILY drive, why pay big money like that for nothing ( not in use)?.
And if one in a while needs a car for more than 200 miles, rent the luxury for weekend , pay $150.

Back