Loud scraping noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been hearing a loud, metal-on-metal sounding scraping noise after I release the parking brake and start to move (either forward or backward) after being parked a while and wondered what this is. Has anyone else ever heard this? Sounds like it may be coming from the back wheels...Sounds very damaging whatever it is. This doesn't happen too often...maybe once a month.

jillianvanliew said:
I've been hearing a loud, metal-on-metal sounding scraping noise after I release the parking brake and start to move (either forward or backward) after being parked a while and wondered what this is. Has anyone else ever heard this? Sounds like it may be coming from the back wheels...Sounds very damaging whatever it is. This doesn't happen too often...maybe once a month.

Is it the electric motor in the electronic brake releasing?

jillianvanliew said:

Do you get any condensation, or rust on your disc rotors from sitting undriven longer periods of time, vs being driven daily? If it clears up pretty quickly, that's my guess your rotor surface is oxidizing, and the pads are scraping the crud off the rotors until they are clean and un oxidized.

JoulesThief said:
jillianvanliew said:

Do you get any condensation, or rust on your disc rotors from sitting undriven longer periods of time, vs being driven daily? If it clears up pretty quickly, that's my guess your rotor surface is oxidizing, and the pads are scraping the crud off the rotors until they are clean and un oxidized.

Could be rust/oxidation...it does happen after I wash the car...
How would I check this without having the car lifted by jacks/hydraulic lifts?

I just looked at SEL wheels and you can see the brake rotors through slots in the wheels. May need to remove a hub cap if not SEL wheels.

When I got this exact noise (A scraping while driving)
It turned out to be a pebble got between my brake caliper and the rotor.

Cost me $65 at the dealer to get it out.

jillianvanliew said:
JoulesThief said:
jillianvanliew said:

Could be rust/oxidation...it does happen after I wash the car...
How would I check this without having the car lifted by jacks/hydraulic lifts?

Wash your car. Drive it 2 miles in city traffic, but shift into neutral before stepping on the brakes, at every stop light /stop sign, in Blvd traffic. Park the car. See if the brakes make the noise the next time you drive the car. Keep in mind, you live in an area with May Gray and June Gloom fog. Those will mist and oxidize the rotors too.

That it is not a constant occurrence tells me that it's nothing to worry about. If it did it every time, then it's a problem.

Back