Chargers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So we are coming across an array of chargers, but noticed a Honda Accord Hybrid using a Tesla charger at a Park n Ride this morning. We were told the e-golf can't use the Tesla chargers, everything I read when I got home said the Accord can use the same J1772 chargers that most of the EV vehicles use, so...... can the e-golf really not use Tesla chargers? Anyone tried?

Can you post a picture of the "tesla charging station" and the plug it has on it? If it fits into an Accord, it is most likely not a Tesla charging station.

It's a tesla charger at the Park n Ride, common in California, hence why I thought it was weird and posted this thread.

Maybe he was just parked in a Tesla spot? Or he's done a rare Tesla drivetrain into Honda Accord swap because he loves the styling of the Accord so much :lol:

There's two types of Tesla public charging stations.

The one everybody is familiar with are the "Superchargers" that are their version of Quick Charging. So far, only Teslas can charge there, and for those with a Model 3, or any Tesla bought after a certain deadline, the owner is charged by the kWH. AFAIK there must be some way for the charging station to collect the car's VIN so it can determine if it's one of the cars that can "charge free for life" or how to bill the owner.

There's also the "Destination Chargers" which are basically a Tesla UMC that is permanently mounted. Except for the Tesla connector at the end, they're basically L2 EVSE's. As mentioned above, there are adapters that let you plug one of these into a J1772 port. This is almost certainly what that Accord the OP saw is plugged into.

BTW the Accord PHEV was only offered for a very short time (MY's 2014 and 2015) and with a high $30's price tag but a paltry 13 miles' range, it sold very poorly, considering that the Volt had much longer range for about the same money. The Accord Hybrid currently in showrooms is of the non-plug-in variety.

BomBoi said:
He maybe using this adapter

https://www.ebay.com/i/142783842590?chn=ps
I have this adapter and use it to charge my e-Golf for free using Tesla destination chargers, mostly at hotels.

Back