Rolling the dice on floor mats

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1485

2017 e-Golf, and I needed to upgrade the crappy stock floor mats. I've always had tremendous success with Weathertech, but, as noted in other posts on this forum, they don't make a set specific to our e-Golf. After doing some reading it sounded like the 2017 e-Golf was identical to the 2018 "regular" Golf.

So here's what I did, all Weathertech:
- Cargo mat - this one was actually designed for our e-Golf, I'm assuming because the trunk is identical to a regular Golf
- Rear mats - these are just an okay fit. Under the seat, towards the front of the vehicle, you can definitely tell they aren't designed for the e-Golf (don't really care though, as this part is hidden). Also towards the back of the vehicle, where your feet would go, there's a little bit of bubbling on the edge. Not bad enough to deal with returning though.
- Front mats - these arrive today or tomorrow, but now I'm nervous, given the only okay fit in the rear seats. Wish me luck!

Having a Golf Alltrack myself, I can tell you that the floorpan area around the seats is different on the eGolf. There is a pronounced hump for the batteries that sticks out from beneath the front seats that isn't there on the petroleum-powered versions. That's why the mats of a "regular" Golf don't fit an eGolf; they're too big. You could put eGolf mats in a regular Golf but they will be too small, and the inboard post to secure the mat will be in the wrong place. The regular Golf's rear mats mostly fit, but not quite as you found out.

(I put the "Monster Mats" from my Alltrack into my eGolf to verify this.)

If you need a winter-type mat, VW sells a specific version for the eGolf. They come from Europe and have a different pattern to them than the "Monster Mats" sold at US VW dealers: http://a.co/9FSx8FF

Just for future reference, TuxMat has a set specifically made for the eGolf.
I like them more than the WeatherTech mats I had for my A3 TDI.

VW offers rubber front mats made for the eGolf that have worked well for us. Not cheap, but I managed to get a free set from the dealer I have been working with. I like them better than the WeatherTech mats we had in our Audi allroad.

You might be able to cut down the WeatherTech to fit but you would loose the spill catching lip in the back.

I went with the factory rubber mats for the e-Golf, I managed to negotiate them for free with my vehicle purchase. So far, happy with how they work. I like how the front mats attach to the floor. The rear mats don't, so I have to keep repositioning them from time to time to ensure coverage, but otherwise, so far so good.

The 2018 Golf mats did NOT work. It was super frustrating because they are very, very close, but the e-Golf battery takes up just enough space that they don't fit.

Instead, I got the VW rubber mats. I'm very happy with them so far.

I bought the TUXMAT at January. Very good though the winter.
Still use as 4 season.
Feel & look nice. I can fit them in even with the stock summer mat below.

dephan said:
I bought the TUXMAT at January. Very good though the winter.
Still use as 4 season.
Feel & look nice. I can fit them in even with the stock summer mat below.

+1

Mine have been very easy to clean, even easier than Weathertech's, and fit right.

Back