E-golf discontinued in 2020

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wsc168

I was planning to buy a used egolf and found out they will stop making them by 2020 and coming out with a 48 volt hybrid car. What will happen to all the e-golf. Will they stopped upgrade the software?

I’ve had my car for over 3 years and the only software updates were for a safety recall (car would mysteriously shut off while driving) and for a climate control issue (constantly reverting to 72 degrees F whenever car was turned back on) that not all dealers were willing to perform.

Yep. The infotainment system software on my 2016 has been same as it ever was. I took it in for 20k maintenance this week and no software updates. I still get the intermittent "ParkPilot is not available" errors.

VW isn't Tesla. The whole idea of a car being like a smartphone with regular, continuous software fixes is foreign to them. Like GM back in the day, they want you to buy a new car every 3 years.

This wouldn't stop me from getting a used e-Golf if it suited my needs. They're maintaining their value very well (especially those in California that are red sticker eligible), and unless we see battery degradation I'd expect that to continue. I am still using mine for commuting purposes and it'll probably stay that way for another year. It's going to be at least 18 months before the Neo hits dealers in the US.

VW is developing a whole new EV platform, called the MEB platform. You can read about it in lots of VW press releases. One of the cars in the platform will look like a Golf, be sized like a Golf, but, according to VW will not be a Golf - it is code named the NEO. If you want a VW EV in 2020 then get the NEO, and if you believe the VW press releases, it will go anywhere from 150 to 300 miles on a charge. It will be rear wheel drive, so I would imagine it will handle better than the e-Golf. It will have a liquid cooled battery pack and be able to charge faster than the e-Golf - all seem really much better than the e-Golf in my opinion.

f1geek said:
VW is developing a whole new EV platform, called the MEB platform. You can read about it in lots of VW press releases. One of the cars in the platform will look like a Golf, be sized like a Golf, but, according to VW will not be a Golf - it is code named the NEO. If you want a VW EV in 2020 then get the NEO, and if you believe the VW press releases, it will go anywhere from 150 to 300 miles on a charge. It will be rear wheel drive, so I would imagine it will handle better than the e-Golf. It will have a liquid cooled battery pack and be able to charge faster than the e-Golf - all seem really much better than the e-Golf in my opinion.

If one of those models ends up essentially being the ‘mk 8 e-GTI’ then ohhhh boy will I be in the market for it.

Sparklebeard said:
f1geek said:

If one of those models ends up essentially being the ‘mk 8 e-GTI’ then ohhhh boy will I be in the market for it.

Different platforms for e vs. ICE/Hybrid but MEB performance cars will be a thing. Probably with four rings and/or horsies on their badges at first but a Neo R would be really cool and certainly possible.

48v Hybrid technology also has an appeal (not in the performance arena probably). Combine that technology with the Hybrid-like fuel economy of the new Jetta and you would get acceptable daily transportation performance combined with incredible fuel economy. I gather the new Jetta already gets 40-50mpg highway in real world conditions which is impressive.

The next few years will be interesting to watch what unfolds.

Back