Question for 2017-2019 Owners

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve had my 2017 since mid-December 2018, and have so far put 2,700 miles on it commuting. I live 29 miles from work, of which 60% is freeway in the HOV lane. I average between 60 and 70 on the freeway (unless traffic is really bad), and generally leave home with the GOM estimating 145-150 miles (I charge up every weeknight). Using R1 and R2 on the slower parts of the drive, I usually arrive at work with about 128-130 miles estimated remaining (today it’s saying 139). I usually arrive back home with about 100-105 showing and just over 1/2 showing on the “fuel” gauge.

I should easily be able to go two days between charges, but I haven’t been that brave yet (“But what if I have to go somewhere during the day...?”). I’ve never run it lower than 35 miles remaining, but I have no doubt about real world range being around 140 miles, if you don’t drive real agressively and use regen. I haven’t ever used ECO/ECO+, and would probably only do so in an emergency to get me home or to a charging station. One caveat is that I commute alone; having anyone else in the car or any other sort of weight really does hurt the mileage.

I am extremely happy with this car, and in no way do I believe it’s a compromise. Yes, it might be a “compliance” car, but who cares?!?.

I've gotten 149 mi. out of a charge with 4 mi. remaining. As a rough guess, that's with about 5% highway driving, and 10% with my wife running her seat heater.

Several years late here, but in my '19 eGolf pre-pandemic I would be able to easily drive to and from the office 45 miles away at highway speed with some hills. I tended to only charge at work, so basically I'd have enough to go home, drive around a bit there, then drive back to work. I'd say probably about 110 miles of range with that style of driving. Since the pandemic and not going in to work, I'm driving 99% of the time just around town and I think it's more like 140-150 miles or range with that style of driving.

As far as the fun-to-drive discussion, with this as a replacement for my 2010 GTI, while it's not as exhilarating as that car I think it has the same soul; that of something that is zippier and more fun to drive yet refined than anything in its price range (except...there are zero EVs in the eGolf's price range anymore). I chose it over the Bolt despite the smaller battery because the interior absolutely blew the chintzy Chevy away, and I chose it over a used i3 because it has a better battery and the exterior doesn't look super weird.

A few months ago I was considering selling, but realized there is really nothing comparable in the market right now. There are better cars certainly, but they're all twice as expensive, often with significantly inferior interiors.

Back