Adding an aux input to a 2019 model

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ether100

I was interested in getting a 2019 eGolf, but just realized that the aux port has been deleted for this year. :cry: I'm one of the few who still uses my Ipod with Rockbox, so anyone have any ideas on retrofitting an aux input to the audio system??

One thing you could try is to get a Bluetooth transmitter, and hook up the aux cable to it, and then pair the Bluetooth transmitter to your e-Golf's head unit. Then the music from your iPod would play from Aux > Bluetooth > Head unit.

Amazon has a Bluetooth transmitter for around $20: https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Connected-Transmission/dp/B074QLB1Y7/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=add+bluetooth+to+ipod&qid=1558645976&s=gateway&sr=8-5

If you wanted to keep the transmitter powered, you'd also have to get a 12v USB power adapter and run a USB charging cable from the 12v adapter to the Bluetooth transmitter.

It sounds a bit of a kludge, but I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work.

Thanks for your suggestion. This could theoretically work, but then I wouldn't be able to use my phone via Bluetooth for calls.

I wonder if the existing stereo still has the aux input at the back so all that's missing is the external connection.

ether100 said:
Thanks for your suggestion. This could theoretically work, but then I wouldn't be able to use my phone via Bluetooth for calls.

I wonder if the existing stereo still has the aux input at the back so all that's missing is the external connection.

The head unit in mine can handle being paired to two devices simultaneously without a problem. Can stream music from an iPad while my phone is still connected for calls. I'm not sure if thats also true on the SE, but definitely for the SEL.

Does RockBox support USB audio? You may just be able to plug it into the headhunt via usb similar to a stock iPod classic.

Alternatively, (again, at least the SEL) comes with built in jukebox storage. You could load your music directly into the car's entertainment unit and not even need the iPod :)

Yes. Some Bluetooth implementations allow multiple Bluetooth connections in the car — one for phone, one for media. Not sure about the 2019 e-Golf, though I think other VWs support it. Might depend on SE vs SEL in the e-Golf.

Here's a blog post with a YouTube video I found that shows how to do it in a VW Tiguan:

http://www.markwilson.co.uk/blog/2015/03/connecting-two-bluetooth-devices-at-once-to-a-volkswagen-tiguan.htm

I didn't know any Mk VII Golf even had an aux-in port, at least for the US models. The 2015's had the MMI interface, later models had USB.

Thanks very much for the replies. I wasn't aware of the dual bluetooth connection capability. Any SE owners out there who can confirm that separate phone and audio devices can be connected simultaneously?

You can actually do this if you remove the MIB2 CD player you will see on the bottom right a green connector that is your USB connection believe it or not your car is capable of having a wired aux, simply purchase the USB and AUX interface and the wiring harness from an older model of alltrack or golf of most kinds and plug and play; not to mention removing the cd player and plastic cubby to remove and replace the usb interface is very easy. Now you're going to need OBD11 or VCDS to change some coding so that your car knows it has an aux port.

Back