Tesla wall charger to charge the egolf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found this video here

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pgm73a6EG7o

Anyone do this? I’m not sure it’s safe, but I thought I’d ask. I’m in the market for an egolf and my father-in-law has a Tesla wall charger. Perhaps getting a Tesla Tap is best. Sorry for the lame question, but thanks for reading. :)

Slaphappygamer said:
Found this video here

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pgm73a6EG7o

Anyone do this? I’m not sure it’s safe, but I thought I’d ask. I’m in the market for an egolf and my father-in-law has a Tesla wall charger. Perhaps getting a Tesla Tap is best. Sorry for the lame question, but thanks for reading. :)

This is a European e-Golf (It has a Mennekes Type 2 connector, not J1772), which means that's a European Tesla charger.

If you're in the USA, you'll need the Tesla to J1772 connector adaptor to charge from your FiL's charger. It is totally safe to do so, though! I believe its also totally safe to do what's shown in that video if you are in Europe, its just that the car can't supercharge from a Tesla supercharger, even though the plug fits.

Edit: based on your other post, I'm guessing you're in the United States! Get the Tesla Tap. Or a portable EVSE you can plug in at his house!

Teslas sold in Europe use a Mennekes port like most EU-spec EV's (older Leafs being a notable exception, not sure about the 2018's) so that's why the person who made the video can plug a Tesla Wall Connector directly into an eGolf.

For Tesla Destination Chargers and Wall Connectors in North America, you will need an J1772 adapter like this one: https://shop.quickchargepower.com/JDapter-Stub-40-Amp-Tesla-Charge-Station-Adaptor-JDPTRSTB.htm Note that at $239 it's only worth it if you absolutely need L2 speeds at your FIL's, or any other destination where the only L2 charging options are Tesla Destination Chargers (for which you may get pushback from some Tesla owners). Otherwise it may be more feasible to simply charge at L1 from a sufficiently robust outlet.

Or if your FIL's Tesla EVSE is plugged in rather than hard-wired, perhaps bringing a portable 240 volt EVSE would be a better value, since that can be used elsewhere. Here's a value-priced ($199) one from the same vendor: https://shop.quickchargepower.com/Go-Cable-Tri-Voltage-120-208-240-Portable-Charging-GC20.htm It will only supply 16 amps, but if you will be there for several hours or especially overnight that should be fine.

The same company used to sell Tesla Mobile Connector with a J1772 plug swapped in, called a "JESLA" but they apparently don't sell it anymore.

RonDawg said:
The same company used to sell Tesla Mobile Connector with a J1772 plug swapped in, called a "JESLA" but they apparently don't sell it anymore.
They still sell the Jesla based on the Gen2 Tesla Mobile Connector. It's called JESLA JR. I used an original Jesla to charge our 2015 e-Golf for about 30 months before we returned the car. It's a very nice portable solution. I would strongly recommend this over the Go-Cable linked above.

Quick Charge Power - JESLA JR

I've been extremely tempted by a Jesla Jr to keep in my car. It would be nice to have the option to plug into the dryer socket at home if we ever need a 'quick' charge, but it's hard to justify a non-portable unit given how rarely we need it.

Also, its hard to find a unit that will work with our ungrounded dryer socket. ClipperCreek's 24A unit is not compatible with it, for example.

JuiceBox works, but isn't as nice of a portable solution.

miimura said:
RonDawg said:
They still sell the Jesla based on the Gen2 Tesla Mobile Connector. It's called JESLA JR. I used an original Jesla to charge our 2015 e-Golf for about 30 months before we returned the car. It's a very nice portable solution. I would strongly recommend this over the Go-Cable linked above.

Quick Charge Power - JESLA JR

At $500 it's also over twice as expensive. That would be fine if you don't already have an L2 EVSE at home. But if you do, and just need to charge using someone's Tesla L2 EVSE, the J1772 adapter and/or Go Cable are more value-priced solutions.

RonDawg said:
At $500 it's also over twice as expensive. That would be fine if you don't already have an L2 EVSE at home. But if you do, and just need to charge using someone's Tesla L2 EVSE, the J1772 adapter and/or Go Cable are more value-priced solutions.

Personally I'm apprehensive about non UL EVSEs (recognising that the Jesla Jnr is no longer UL given its been modified, but a plug change on an otherwise UL device concerns me less than a black plastic mystery box with who-knows-what quality of insulation on the inside!

Back