Electrical system failure: Stop!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
miimura said:
schleppy said:
Update, and not a good one. Car was driving fine last night and today. Got to work this morning and plugged in, charge wouldn't start. Tried another charger, won't charge. Pulled out the plug and got in the car "car is plugged in" uh oh. Power cycled the car, and was able to drive it back to the dealer with 5 miles of range left. Eeesh.

From the sounds of it, I'm guessing a new charge plug may be in my future. We'll see what they find today...
I'm rubbing my crystal ball..... and... I see a new JX1 module in your future...
Yep, one of the few things that were bit iffy on the earlier 2015 builds. I'm at 2 years on my May 2015 build SEL. Maybe 13200 miles? Doing great, as a Blvd Cruiser. Doesn't see freeways or highways, ever. Doing great 5.8 to 6.3 miles per kwh. 158.8 watts per mile. I seem to get about 91% of the kWh I get billed charged back into the battery for usage, according to my e-motorwerks 40 Pro EVSE. Really don't need it, but tempted to look at a 2017 SEL for it's additional range per recharge, making the car then useful on the freeway at freeway kwh consumption rates.

I got the car back today. Supposedly they did two updates the other day. They claim one didn't "stick", which caused the car to not allow charging. They redid the update and the car charges again. I brought up the JX1 replacement and they said my car wasn't throwing the codes that indicate the JX1 module needs replacing.

I'm pretty disappointed they didn't fully test the car before releasing it back to me the other day. I know most dealers don't have a lot of experience with these, but still.

Just joined the club. My month old 2016 SE gave the Electrical error warning at 2077 miles. Luckily parked in a parking lot and not driving like many of the others who have experienced it. Seems to be common around 1800 miles? Car has spent an afternoon at the dealership. What's the average wait time on these solutions?

ultim8gamr said:
Just joined the club. My month old 2016 SE gave the Electrical error warning at 2077 miles. Luckily parked in a parking lot and not driving like many of the others who have experienced it. Seems to be common around 1800 miles? Car has spent an afternoon at the dealership. What's the average wait time on these solutions?

It looks like that varies greatly. Mine took a day, some people it took weeks.

schleppy said:
ultim8gamr said:
Just joined the club... ....What's the average wait time on these solutions?

It looks like that varies greatly. Mine took a day, some people it took weeks.
Thanks Schleppy!
Just got a call back from the dealer and it sounds like the JX1 module is being replaced and is currently in stock at a warehouse so hopefully I'll have it back on Monday after the weekend.
I'll report back with any info and hopefully it will help others who receive this same error

Interesting side note. Whatever update they performed disabled my car's ability to raise and lower the windows with the key fob. The tech said that he asked VW what was up, and they said it was disabled for safety reasons. I can still raise/lower via the door handle, but that is much less convenient. On hot days it was nice to be able to open all my car windows from my office to cool the car down.

Anyone else encounter this?

schleppy said:
Interesting side note. Whatever update they performed disabled my car's ability to raise and lower the windows with the key fob. The tech said that he asked VW what was up, and they said it was disabled for safety reasons. I can still raise/lower via the door handle, but that is much less convenient. On hot days it was nice to be able to open all my car windows from my office to cool the car down.

This is an easy fix with Vag-com. It's the first thing I did when I got my car. Got super used to this on my b5 A4 and my mk6 Jetta TDI. Most dealer techs will enable the feature for you

edit: Dealer got the part in this morning and should be calling this afternoon to have me pickup the egolf. I'll report back if they flashed over my settings (seatbelt chime delete, remote windows, radio settings in motion, mirror dip)

ultim8gamr said:
schleppy said:

This is an easy fix with Vag-com. It's the first thing I did when I got my car. Got super used to this on my b5 A4 and my mk6 Jetta TDI. Most dealer techs will enable the feature for you

edit: Dealer got the part in this morning and should be calling this afternoon to have me pickup the egolf. I'll report back if they flashed over my settings (seatbelt chime delete, remote windows, radio settings in motion, mirror dip)

I even brought this up to him, and he seemed to think it wasn't possible. I'll just see if I can find a local guy with a VAG-COM

schleppy said:
ultim8gamr said:
schleppy said:

I even brought this up to him, and he seemed to think it wasn't possible. I'll just see if I can find a local guy with a VAG-COM

It is possible, with VCDS, and also at the dealership. I've activated it on my 2002 Jetta TDI, my 2014 Passat, my 2012 Touareg and my 2013 Touareg, all with VCDS. The dealership can do it, but most of them want to stick you for a convenience service bill to do it.

Picked up my car yesterday afternoon. All of the VagCom (VCDS) mods were still active when I picked it up.

Here's the dealer form. The JX1 module was replaced on my car. Part arrived Tuesday morning and by that afternoon the car was ready. Brought it in with 2077 miles and picked it up with 2078 miles so the road test was VERY short.

There are a few other repair kits on here as well but they didn't mention anything about it when I picked it up
23ubdrt.jpg

schleppy if you're by chance in Northern California I'd be glad to help you out with the coding

ultim8gamr said:
Picked up my car yesterday afternoon. All of the VagCom (VCDS) mods were still active when I picked it up.

Here's the dealer form. The JX1 module was replaced on my car. Part arrived Tuesday morning and by that afternoon the car was ready. Brought it in with 2077 miles and picked it up with 2078 miles so the road test was VERY short.

There are a few other repair kits on here as well but they didn't mention anything about it when I picked it up
23ubdrt.jpg

schleppy if you're by chance in Northern California I'd be glad to help you out with the coding

Tech provides and claims an $80 vehicle inspection... LOL, bilking VWoA for that service, under "good will" . That's a joke, the tech gets extra money in his paycheck for scamming that one.

Despite my car being fine for many months after they did a "software update", I had another "electrical system failure, 12V not charging" error the other day when I unplugged from a Chargepoint station. A power cycle brought the car back online, but I took it to the dealer to have them check it out anyway. After keeping it overnight they determined that the controller needed to be replaced. I'll get the part numbers when I get the car back in the next day or so. I'm guessing it's the JX1 others have had replaced.

Yep, JX1 module was replaced. They also did the software updates from tech bulletin 87-17-04 and 93-16-02.

Fingers crossed that this was the last trip to the dealer for a problem...

I get the exactly problem " Electrical failure Stop driving" today. ( Mileage : 4349 kms)
Tow to dealer.
It seem that the problem is common, VW should recall for it.
Let see if the same module JX1.

SFSoundguy: Love my 2015 eGolf - Haven't had any problems, ... until, a few weeks ago (June 2019): "Electrical system failure: Stop!", and it was NOT in a convenient area : ) FYI, when EV's die, there's no 'coasting' that I know of: The motor kinda lugged and brought me to a dead stop in a terrible spot. Had it towed to the Cerritos VW (Not a recommended dealer). They replaced the JX-1 under warranty (and this is 2019!? Had this car new since 5/2015)
Error codes included 'Inverter voltage too high, P33D700, P33D800, etc.
All was fixed, along with my 30K mile checks, and I'm good to go.
Still the best car I've ever owned.

CAsurfMobile said:
SFSoundguy: Love my 2015 eGolf - Haven't had any problems, ... until, a few weeks ago (June 2019): "Electrical system failure: Stop!", and it was NOT in a convenient area : ) FYI, when EV's die, there's no 'coasting' that I know of: The motor kinda lugged and brought me to a dead stop in a terrible spot. Had it towed to the Cerritos VW (Not a recommended dealer). They replaced the JX-1 under warranty (and this is 2019!? Had this car new since 5/2015)
Error codes included 'Inverter voltage too high, P33D700, P33D800, etc.
All was fixed, along with my 30K mile checks, and I'm good to go.
Still the best car I've ever owned.

As the original owner I would think you should have received a recall notice from VW back in 2016 or so? Maybe they didn't have a current address or something, but glad to hear you got it fixed. Coming up on two years with our 2015 SEL and so far it is the best car I have ever owned as well.

msvphoto said:
As the original owner I would think you should have received a recall notice from VW back in 2016 or so? Maybe they didn't have a current address or something, but glad to hear you got it fixed. Coming up on two years with our 2015 SEL and so far it is the best car I have ever owned as well.

Did the 16s have this issue, and if so is there a way I can check if my husband's car got the module replacement without trying to get VW to tell me?

Sparklebeard said:
msvphoto said:

Did the 16s have this issue, and if so is there a way I can check if my husband's car got the module replacement without trying to get VW to tell me?
If there is an open recall on your vehicle, it should be indicated if you put in the VIN at the website below.

https://www.vw.com/owners-recalls/

sfsoundguy said:
I just experienced this error "Electrical Networks failure: Stop!" on the way home form San Francisco to Oakland thankfully I was already over the bay bridge. After the car stopped I put on the hazards put on the break and turned the car off I had to do about 5 attempts to turn the car off, while still in the car I locked the car then re opened it with the key fob and pushed the start button the car came back to life and the dash read "READY" in green. I was then able to drive the car home. I called VW of Oakland and will drop it off tomorrow they said they don't give out loaners which
sucks :-(

Update: I decided to take it to the dealer today instead of waiting until tomorrow no point in wasting a day. The error "Electrical system failure: Stop!" happened again 3 times each time I was able to turn of the car wait and turn it back on again althought it drove it definitely felt wrong and I kept it under 25mph.

VW of Oakland said they have not seen this issue which is strange since one person here mentions taking their car to them with the same issue.....

Thanks for sharing

I also experienced failure of electrical system.

Back