charging stopped in the middle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackgolf

this happened to my 19 egolf again. It only charged for 2-3 hours (about 50% battery ) and stopped for no reason. all light went out. I have to open and close the door to resume it. I set e-manager to 80% and use L1 charger. most of time it charges fine but this happed twice since I had this new car less than 1 month. anyone?

"All light went out", you say. Which lights? Lights to the left of the charging inlet? All indicator lights on the trickle charging cable EVSE (box with 120V plug you connect to 120V receptacle). Other in car lights? Did the light on your receptacle GFCI go out? There is a reason it stopped charging, for sure. Do you have off peak time set in the e-manager? Lots of questions, but let's hope your answers help solve the problem.

all lights at charging port are out. EVSE charging light is out as well. I just open the door, the charging resumed immediately.
I did set off-peak time from 21:00 to 16:00. based on the battery SOC, I guess the charging stopped around 1am.

f1geek said:
"All light went out", you say. Which lights? Lights to the left of the charging inlet? All indicator lights on the trickle charging cable EVSE (box with 120V plug you connect to 120V receptacle). Other in car lights? Did the light on your receptacle GFCI go out? There is a reason it stopped charging, for sure. Do you have off peak time set in the e-manager? Lots of questions, but let's hope your answers help solve the problem.

When all the lights are out on the charge port, that means charging is complete (though the green light stays on constantly for a few minutes right when the charging finishes, but then it turns off), so that doesn't tell us much, other than there was no error, so charging completed as it was instructed. Are you sure you set off peak from 21:00 to 16:00? Did you mean 21:00 to 06:00 the next day? Maybe you set this up wrong? Did you set your departure time after the end of the off peak time?

When you say EVSE charging light is off, that also just means it is not charging. Again, this points to some programming that told the EVSE to stop charging.

Maybe someone who uses the off peak times can comment. I don't ever use that setting and I have not had issues with charging stopping prematurely.

21:00 to 16:00 means from 9pm at night to next afternoon 4pm. that is same as the off peak hours set by my utility provider. my departure time is set to 8am. I charged the car around 20 times, two of them stop unexpected, the rest are fine and all reached 80% set by e-manager..

f1geek said:
When all the lights are out on the charge port, that means charging is complete (though the green light stays on constantly for a few minutes right when the charging finishes, but then it turns off), so that doesn't tell us much, other than there was no error, so charging completed as it was instructed. Are you sure you set off peak from 21:00 to 16:00? Did you mean 21:00 to 06:00 the next day? Maybe you set this up wrong? Did you set your departure time after the end of the off peak time?

When you say EVSE charging light is off, that also just means it is not charging. Again, this points to some programming that told the EVSE to stop charging.

Maybe someone who uses the off peak times can comment. I don't ever use that setting and I have not had issues with charging stopping prematurely.

Blackgolf said:
21:00 to 16:00 means from 9pm at night to next afternoon 4pm. that is same as the off peak hours set by my utility provider. my departure time is set to 8am. I charged the car around 20 times, two of them stop unexpected, the rest are fine and all reached 80% set by e-manager..

I have seen it mentioned that the off peak hours function gets very temperamental if the start and end times fall on different days (i.e. start in the PM and end in the AM). I wonder if it would work more reliably if you set it to 00:00 (or 00:30?) to 1600?

good suggestions. I just disabled the peak hour in e-manager and let my smart plug take care of the off peak hours. will see how it works.

Sparklebeard said:
Blackgolf said:

I have seen it mentioned that the off peak hours function gets very temperamental if the start and end times fall on different days (i.e. start in the PM and end in the AM). I wonder if it would work more reliably if you set it to 00:00 (or 00:30?) to 1600?

Back