Small Difference in Lower Grille on 2019 - Early versus Late Production Run?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Szyszka

It took almost 4 weeks to finally notice this: the lower grille, by the C-shaped LED light (specific to the e-Golfs) is different on my 2019! Specifically, you can see (almost) right away that I am missing the two horizontal 'fins':

My car:

Picture 'borrowed' from the local dealer showing the car and the 'affected' area:

I can only suspect this has to do with different manufacturing periods. My car could be considered a very early 2019 model as the date of production is showing October 2018. I cannot verify the date of production for the vehicle pictured above but a friend of mine picked up his new e-Golf this past weekend and his (made in June of 2019) has the fins. Unless there is another explanation.

Thoughts?

I have seen several new e-Golfs with the additional fins. I believe the Golf GTE (sold in Europe) has (had? - is it discontinued?) these fins. Maybe VW had extra parts and wanted to use them up? Looks nice, in my opinion.

Szyszka said:
the date of production is showing October 2018.

This is off-topic but I was curious: Where did you find the date of production info for your e-Golf?

manybees said:
Szyszka said:
the date of production is showing October 2018.

This is off-topic but I was curious: Where did you find the date of production info for your e-Golf?

When you open the driver's door, there is a black sticker on the lower B pillar. Includes the country and date of manufacture (Germany); gross vehicle weight rating, VIN, and some legal statement about conforming to all the norms and regulations. This is NOT the sticker where the PSI information is listed (that's a little higher). Hope this helps.

I've noticed this as well. My 2019 (built late 2018) purchaced January 2019 is liek yours without it. I think first saw the chnage around April/May.

tbier said:
I've noticed this as well. My 2019 (built late 2018) purchased January 2019 is like yours without it. I think first saw the change around April/May.

Thanks for the report!

Yes, the strakes were first noted on this forum around April, when:

1) The December 2018 builds started arriving at dealerships.
2) At the time the strake models were being produced, certain 2019 colors were no longer produced including White Silver and Great Falls Green.

Another subtle change is that the 15/16 models have a thin blue outline around the hood and trunk VW emblem, while the 17+ models do not.

2016golfse said:
Yes, the strakes were first noted on this forum around April, when:

1) The December 2018 builds started arriving at dealerships.
2) At the time the strake models were being produced, certain 2019 colors were no longer produced including White Silver and Great Falls Green.

Another subtle change is that the 15/16 models have a thin blue outline around the hood and trunk VW emblem, while the 17+ models do not.

Thanks for the tip with the color! I did notice that something was 'strange' with the colors during the 'research' phase of my e-Golf purchase (late July / early August). Back in August, we did test drive SEL in White Silver Metallic and, among other things, were intrigued by the color. When trying to locate SE in the same color, we really could not find one... It did not help that o the VW website, it was also not listed. Now however, it all makes sense. The SEL we test drove (as it turns out, still available for sale) is indeed the 'early 2019' model since it does not have the fins. And since the color was only offered on those early runs, it's no surprising we could not see it as available on the VW website...

Blackgolf said:
I hate these strake on my egolf , weight increase, aka. shorter range.

While I believe the weight difference and impact on range to be extremely negligible, maybe you can swap with someone who has a 2017+ model. The 15/16 models have slightly different fenders so it may not fit.

Blackgolf said:

I would be amazed if the impact of the weight of the strakes could even be measured in terms of impact to the range.... Pretty sure the user's manual is heavier than the strakes.... they're plastic.

You'd get a bigger range increase from taking the rear tonneau cover out of the car than you would from not having the strakes! :!:

Blackgolf said:

Sparklebeard said:
I would be amazed if the impact of the weight of the strakes could even be measured in terms of impact to the range.... Pretty sure the user's manual is heavier than the strakes.... they're plastic.

You'd get a bigger range increase from taking the rear tonneau cover out of the car than you would from not having the strakes! :!:

2016golfse said:
While I believe the weight difference and impact on range to be extremely negligible, maybe you can swap with someone who has a 2017+ model. The 15/16 models have slightly different fenders so it may not fit.

Sparklebeard and 2016golfse: I am pretty sure Blackgolf was just kidding with his comment ! :D

Back