How Can I Tell how Many Amps I'm Charging At?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had to go to a couple charging stations yesterday. My level 2 charger should arrive in the mail today. Anyway it was fun looking for places to charge and get free or cheap electrons. At one stop I looked through all the car's menus and I couldn't find charge rate or how many amps the car was charging at. Is this information really not available? I find that hard to believe.

It's not available, from the car.

It might be available, from the EVSE you are charging from. Assume most public chargers will give you either 206V at 30 amps, or at 15 amps. Sometimes you'll find 240V x 30 amps in the wild, but it's not very common.

There will be some people that are nerds, coming from the Tesla world.

This is a Volkswagen, it's the Peoples Car. The people that are just average, aren't interested in electrical units of measure, they just want to know when their car will be ready to drive again after it's charged to whatever percentage they left the settings at. So VW saves these people from un necessary added confusing complications. If you're too lazy to parallel park, and want auto driving, you want auto charging too, no need to be bothered by voltage or current statistics..

If you use an OBD tool like OBDeleven you can get that information from the battery control module. Probably not worth the effort, though.

Back