Speed governor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsayer

Now, I'm not going to admit to exceeding the posted speed limit publicly. I will say that I've driven all of the EV/PHEVs that I've personally experienced so far at high speeds. In every case, I've discovered a speed governor, likely in firmware.

My wife's Volt has a limit of 101 mi/hr.

My old Fit EV had a limit of 90 mi/hr.

My 2016 eGolf SEL has a limit of 85 mi/hr.

Obviously, I don't see anything about this limit being configurable.

It seems quite ironic that the EV from the country that gave us the Autobahn has the lowest maximum speed (at least of all the ones I've tried).

It's irrelevant, speed limit in CA on this "compliance" car is 70 MPH. So it's a non issue.

JoulesThief said:
It's irrelevant, speed limit in CA on this "compliance" car is 70 MPH. So it's a non issue.
Incorrect, I don't know the upper limit, but it isn't 70, it's higher.

Or do you mean the roads in CA? IF so, that's probably correct.

You can drive in California other than places where there are speed limits. For example, there's an EV day once a year at Laguna Seca. It's also possible to take the car outside of California. Last I heard, Montana still had roads with no speed limit at all (other than reasonable and prudent).

The larger point is, it's the camel's nose if the manufacturers are going to suddenly start deciding that they can enforce the vehicle code on the state's behalf.

nsayer said:
You can drive in California other than places where there are speed limits. For example, there's an EV day once a year at Laguna Seca. It's also possible to take the car outside of California. Last I heard, Montana still had roads with no speed limit at all (other than reasonable and prudent).

The larger point is, it's the camel's nose if the manufacturers are going to suddenly start deciding that they can enforce the vehicle code on the state's behalf.

Do your due diligence before buying. I hope you aren't leasing and taking your car to track days.

JoulesThief said:
nsayer said:

Do your due diligence before buying.

Please point out exactly where I should have discovered beforehand that there was a speed governor and it's maximum speed.

I hope you aren't leasing and taking your car to track days.

Why, exactly, do you hope that? What's it to you?

nsayer said:
JoulesThief said:
nsayer said:

Please point out exactly where I should have discovered beforehand that there was a speed governor and it's maximum speed.

I'd suspect it's a breach of contract of your lease terms agreement. Knowing VW, it would certainly void the warranty. That you are possibly thrashing to the limit something you don't even own is possibly another sign. This is far outside of what German engineers would define as intended usage.

JoulesThief said:
nsayer said:
JoulesThief said:

I'd suspect it's a breach of contract of your lease terms agreement.

And, again, that matters to you.... how?

My purpose in my original post was to point out the existence and setting of the speed governor. A "feature" of the eGolf that - so far as I can tell - is undocumented and of potential interest to some folks considering the eGolf. That end has been achieved. What's yours?

JoulesThief said:

Normal, 115 horsepower and 199 lb.-ft. of torque, ~87mph
Eco 94 horsepower and 162 lb.-ft. of torque, ~72mph
Eco+ 74 horsepower and 129 lb.-ft. of torque, ~60mph

From the VW pamphlet/news release for the 2016 models https://media.vw.com/model/pack/115/, this was also very clearly explained in the press kit/pamphlet for the 2015 model. If your dealer didn't explain all this, they didn't do their job very well.

EVchemist said:
JoulesThief said:

Normal, 115 horsepower and 199 lb.-ft. of torque, ~87mph
Eco 94 horsepower and 162 lb.-ft. of torque, ~72mph
Eco+ 74 horsepower and 129 lb.-ft. of torque, ~60mph

From the VW pamphlet/news release https://media.vw.com/model/pack/115/. If your dealer didn't explain all this, they didn't do their job very well.

If you need it pointed out, your Google Foo is weak. Or ask Siri.

I'm more of the opinion of, if you didn't ask before you bought it, you didn't do your due diligence. Seek, and ye shall find. OP didn't do their due diligence, if it was something that was important to them. Instead, they discovered after the fact... too little, too late.

As a matter of my personal experience with VW ownership, VW has limited the top speed of every vehicle they make, that I am aware of, to my knowledge, since 1996 with OBD 2 ports and ECM's with brains became mandated. Audi also. Even the W12 Phaeton.

Your theory that it went undocumented... well... simply not true.

nsayer said:
And, again, that matters to you.... how?

My purpose in my original post was to point out the existence and setting of the speed governor. A "feature" of the eGolf that - so far as I can tell - is undocumented and of potential interest to some folks considering the eGolf. That end has been achieved. What's yours?
You'll learn to recognize (and ignore) JoulesThief's style on these boards soon. :roll:

Your original post was and interesting observation that the e-Golf has the lowest limited speed. I suspect it's because of the trade off between aerodynamic drag and range, but I thought I read that the e-Golf has one of the best drag coefficients of EVs. Whatever, it's a trade off that had to be decided on at some point in the design process. I doubt it's in any of the firmware settings that are accessible with the VAG-COM tools, but it's possible. There are starting to be EV tuning shops, so maybe someone will find a way to alter it. We all know that the faster we drive on the highway the shorter the range will be, so it's not like raising it would affect people unknowingly.

One possible reason not yet mentioned is that the electric motor and/or associated electrics may not be capable of sustained high speed operation like that. There is no additional gear to lower the revs. Yes Tesla has "insane mode" and all that, but when buyers are paying that much for a car, the manufacturer can afford to design it for such a purpose.

As Joules pointed out, the maximum legal posted speed in California is 70 MPH. Some states have 75 MPH upper limits. Only Utah and Texas have higher limits than that (80 and 85 respectively) but it's in remote areas generally not easily reached with an EV other than Tesla. Montana did away with "Reasonable and Prudent" years ago and now it's 75 also. So 87 is more than adequate.

My question is whether anyone knows if I drive at 35 around town in Normal, Eco, or Eco+ mode will I experience a difference in range? Or does it only matter at the top end (or WOT)?

As you change the driving mode from normal to eco to eco+, the power of the motor is reduced by 20 hp with each mode change, and the HVAC power is reduced or completely turned off. I suspect if you have a light touch and drive in B mode, you can achieve better than 5 miles/kWh and maybe even 6 miles/kWh. Thus, your range on a full charge would easily exceed 100 miles.

bizzle said:
My question is whether anyone knows if I drive at 35 around town in Normal, Eco, or Eco+ mode will I experience a difference in range? Or does it only matter at the top end (or WOT)?
You do because the 'initial torque' is also reduced, you will notice your car go put-put-put when you press the pedal.

I know when I put a larger and more powerful engine in my BMW that I got better mileage and people point out that tuners are able to increase mileage in part because they increase the torque. So I tried Eco+ mode to see how slow and spongy everything was, and while it was noticeable (not so much in Eco mode), it made me recall those other examples where more power available led to better economy.

But I don't know how/if that translates to an EV.

bizzle said:
I know when I put a larger and more powerful engine in my BMW that I got better mileage and people point out that tuners are able to increase mileage in part because they increase the torque. So I tried Eco+ mode to see how slow and spongy everything was, and while it was noticeable (not so much in Eco mode), it made me recall those other examples where more power available led to better economy.

But I don't know how/if that translates to an EV.

The tuners may have increased the torque available at a lower RPM, so that you don't have to rev it as hard (and thus use more fuel). But unlike an internal combustion engine, an electric motor has near-maximum if not maximum torque from the moment it starts turning.

Hi.... New here! Reading through all the back and forth on this subject of what's legal and what's not has anyone been able to fix the problem??

dsiler3 said:
Hi.... New here! Reading through all the back and forth on this subject of what's legal and what's not has anyone been able to fix the problem??

If it's a problem, you should have bought a Tesla model S with Ludicrous Mode, instead.

Back